Sign in with
Your question

Fixed Frequency Sony Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 26, 2001 2:45:40 PM

I'm looking to buy a new monitor, and I came across an HP 2094 refurb made by Sony for a ridiculously low price for a 20 incher. I guess that it is what is called a fixed frequency monitor, and requires the use of the included agp video card to function. My question is, would this monitor be suitable for home use? I mostly use my computer for the internet and a few other applications, and am looking to get a 20" monitor to watch dvd's on. Any problems with using a monitor of this type? The included video card has these specs:

Video Card Specification: (Illusionist 16 Meg AGP)

16 MB of RAM
Savage4 128 bit 2D/3D Processor
The AGP 4X Technology: 4 Times the Bandwidth
S3TC Technology: 200 MB of Texture Mapping on a standard PC system with 64 MB RAM.
Maximum resolution of 1920x1440
32 bit Color
TrueFlash; onboard Flash BIOS allows the user to customize the card to support any supported Fixed Frequency and all MultiSync monitors.

Would that be suitable for playing dvd's without skipping or freezing? I'd appreciate any comments on using this type of monitor. Thanks
Zhenya
September 26, 2001 3:11:01 PM

The vid card sucks, so u may have trouble with some games. What apps specifically will u be using? You may want a dvd decoder card...

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 27, 2001 11:23:06 PM

I really never play games, nor do I plan to, just lots of web surfing, general office work, and I would like to be able to get a dvd player and watch movies on it, as I don't have a television. Anymore pros or cons to this monitor? BTW, it's $99, so a solid $90 less than any other 20" sony monitor I've found, thus my interest.
Thanks
Zhenya
Related resources
September 28, 2001 12:26:50 AM

You can find really cheap, good quality stuff for bargain cheap prices at your local Universitys Property Disposition.
I got a Dell P991 (Not bad, but not great, 19"), for 25 bucks.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
September 28, 2001 3:21:50 AM

what makes fized frequency monitors cheap....
and do they just not change refresh rates or something...
what does a fized frequency monitor mean...and why is it so cheap?

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2001 12:20:49 AM

I just bought a fixed frequency Sony 20" from Eggheahd.com clearance 149.00. Works fine, set the resolutions at 1024 x 768 @ 85mHz refresh, what they recommend. They give you an adapter to use if you don't have a mirage video card.
I have a TNT2 series, 4XAGP, 32MB..that's it.
Only one noticeable problem, the screen doesn't fill all the way out horizantally, misses 1/3" on each side, vertically is fine.
Hope that helps.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2001 1:44:21 AM

quick update.......egghead.com has a 20" multisync sony monitor for only 159.00...saves you from buying a fixed frequency card, which is the only way you can view anything at less than 800 x 600 resolution.
October 4, 2001 4:50:32 AM

but what does fixed frequency mean?
i mean, you can obviosly set the refresh rate higher and lower..
but what the hell is the difference?
what is fixed frequency?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
!