win2000, does it suck, or is it just me?

G

I had a recent post about WiNT 4.0 and large HD's. SOOOOOOOOOOO......
I bought Win 2000. Thought it may be time for an upgrade to an OS that says it can take up to a terabyte of drive space. Cool.
I can load WiNT 4.0 on my NEW HD, I just can't get it to recognize the entire 40 gig. NO error messages, NO problems with the OS or bios, NO problems except not being able to use all 40 gig.

ENTER

Win 2000...

NO MATTER WHAT I do, this piece of SHYTE will NOT load on my NEW HD. I get an error message telling me that my HD is corrupt, or that my new hd has a virus (funny, I've only loaded REGISTERED microsoft products from original cd's on this totally BRAND NEW system). I've tried loading 2000 as a NEW install and as an update...TO NO AVAIL....

WTF....

MY MS DOCUMENTATION IS WORTHLESS AS USUAL. It tells me that it can't POSSIBLY be a MS PROBLEM.

Any suggestions.

TIA

~~~If only my CAD CAM software would port to Linux~~~

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Did you just say that everything was brand new and no prior OS on the hard-drive. Did you ever think about Partitioning your brand new Harddrive that was OEM no doubt. ;-) Try that with the utils on your Brand new Windows 2000 OS. Boot from CD-Rom. This is not a flame my friend just a thought. :)

Dantin

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Oh I read your post again. It shouldn't hurt to remove the existing partition and re-instate the partition using the Windows 2000 utils on the CD-ROM. Hope that helps.

Dantin

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What service pack of NT is intergrated into the NT install. If its the original like I have the trying to format NTFS with the original service pack you can only format the drive up to a 8.4 gig. However, if the drive is already formated NTFS about 8.4 gigs you can install NT4.0 onto that partition. I would go into Fdisk, blow away any NTFS partitions and try installing win2k that way with a drive with no partitions.

<b>Geforce3, its better then sex!!!!!</b> Well maybe not that good... :wink:

G

Bro all you need to do is turn off UDMA in BIOS before you install Win2k, then what you do once you're all done is install SP1 and go back into BIOS and reenable UDMA. The drives will only operate at UDMA 66 until SP2 comes out. Problem solved. Oh, and yes I share the same sentiment when it comes to Win2k.