Defragmenting hard drive question

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

I have WinXP and I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it says I
have 3% space left and I should have a minimum of15% (my hard drive's
jammed with stuff). Well the program asked if I wanted to defragment
it anyway, so I said yes and it defragmented. What I want to know is
what's the difference if you defragment it while you have 15% space
left instead of 3%? Does it do a better job at the defragmenting or
what?

Nero <ne@ro.net> wrote

> I have WinXP and I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it says I
> have 3% space left and I should have a minimum of15% (my hard drive's
> jammed with stuff). Well the program asked if I wanted to defragment
> it anyway, so I said yes and it defragmented. What I want to know is
> what's the difference if you defragment it while you have 15% space
> left instead of 3%? Does it do a better job at the defragmenting or what?

Yes.

But its academic, there isnt any real point in
defragging modern personal desktop systems.

In article <3k3h3bFs7uvqU1@individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nero <ne@ro.net> wrote
>
> > I have WinXP and I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it says I
> > have 3% space left and I should have a minimum of15% (my hard drive's
> > jammed with stuff). Well the program asked if I wanted to defragment
> > it anyway, so I said yes and it defragmented. What I want to know is
> > what's the difference if you defragment it while you have 15% space
> > left instead of 3%? Does it do a better job at the defragmenting or what?
>
> Yes.
>
> But its academic, there isnt any real point in
> defragging modern personal desktop systems.

Would'nt it help in data recovery should that ever need to be done?

Roland

Joe Doe <None@mail.utexas.edu> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Nero <ne@ro.net> wrote

>>> I have WinXP and I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it
>>> says I have 3% space left and I should have a minimum of15%
>>> (my hard drive's jammed with stuff). Well the program asked if I
>>> wanted to defragment it anyway, so I said yes and it defragmented.

>>> What I want to know is what's the difference if you
>>> defragment it while you have 15% space left instead of
>>> 3%? Does it do a better job at the defragmenting or what?

>> Yes.

>> But its academic, there isnt any real point in
>> defragging modern personal desktop systems.

> Would'nt it help in data recovery should that ever need to be done?

Sure, but it makes a lot more sense to backup what matters instead.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:40:43 GMT, Nero <ne@ro.net> wrote:

>I have WinXP and I tried defragmenting my hard drive but it says I
>have 3% space left and I should have a minimum of15% (my hard drive's
>jammed with stuff). Well the program asked if I wanted to defragment
>it anyway, so I said yes and it defragmented. What I want to know is
>what's the difference if you defragment it while you have 15% space
>left instead of 3%? Does it do a better job at the defragmenting or
>what?

Many files are too much fragmented that it is necessary to reassemble
them elsewhere and copy them back when there is space. So some free
space is required for this purpose. It will also work if the free
space is less than 15% but the defragmenting may slow down.

HTH

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only