trouble with dvd

Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a dvd &
a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd, it
did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different dvd's
so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show that
there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
"please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this pc
all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any effort.
THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine there.
Please help if u can, thank you.
Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

"RustyM" wrote:

> Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a dvd &
> a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd, it
> did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different dvd's
> so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show that
> there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this pc
> all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any effort.
> THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine there.
> Please help if u can, thank you.
> Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

First thing to try is reinstalling your DVD decoding software - PowerDVD or
WinDVD, whichever came with the PC

www.coribright.com

"RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a dvd
> &
> a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd,
> it
> did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different
> dvd's
> so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show
> that
> there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this pc
> all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any effort.
> THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine
> there.
> Please help if u can, thank you.
> Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Also ask the tech support team if they have disabled this function to stop
you watching movies at work :)

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> First thing to try is reinstalling your DVD decoding software - PowerDVD
or
> WinDVD, whichever came with the PC

> www.coribright.com
>
> "RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> > Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a
dvd
> > &
> > a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd,
> > it
> > did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> > I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different
> > dvd's
> > so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show
> > that
> > there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> > "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> > different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this
pc
> > all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any
effort.
> > THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine
> > there.
> > Please help if u can, thank you.
> > Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Hi-I still cant get it to work. I did what Cari suggested ( uninstalling
cyberlink power dvd, which came with my pc) then reinstalling it as well. I
rebooted between the two. The installation cd was placed in the dvd drive
and it worked fine to proceed with the installation. But again. when I tried
playing different dvd's, nothing happens. As soon as I insert any movie dvd,
on my cursor the little cd icon shows for a second as it used to. But
nothing pops up to indicated to me that there is a cd that is gonna play or
that there are errors. I tried using windows media player, interactual
player, and nothing happens. According to the computor, when a dvd is in the
dvd drive, it acts as if nothing is in there.
Please advise me on the next thing to do. If I dont hear from you before I
leave today, Ill work on all the advise u give to me tomarrow.
Oh BTW, to grahams question, I wouldnt have anyone blocking my dvd viewing
rights at my work pc because not only is the pc at my work mine, but also
the business as well. So, I'm safe there :)

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> First thing to try is reinstalling your DVD decoding software - PowerDVD
or
> WinDVD, whichever came with the PC

> www.coribright.com
>
> "RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> > Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a
dvd
> > &
> > a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd,
> > it
> > did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> > I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different
> > dvd's
> > so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show
> > that
> > there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> > "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> > different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this
pc
> > all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any
effort.
> > THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine
> > there.
> > Please help if u can, thank you.
> > Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Will it play any dvd's, or open up any dvd with software etc on rather than
just movie dvd's? Just thinking in case the drive itself is faulty, can you
remove it and put the one you know works in it and see if that works?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> Hi-I still cant get it to work. I did what Cari suggested ( uninstalling
> cyberlink power dvd, which came with my pc) then reinstalling it as well.
> rebooted between the two. The installation cd was placed in the dvd drive
> and it worked fine to proceed with the installation. But again. when I
tried
> playing different dvd's, nothing happens. As soon as I insert any movie
dvd,
> on my cursor the little cd icon shows for a second as it used to. But
> nothing pops up to indicated to me that there is a cd that is gonna play
or
> that there are errors. I tried using windows media player, interactual
> player, and nothing happens. According to the computor, when a dvd is in
the
> dvd drive, it acts as if nothing is in there.
> Please advise me on the next thing to do. If I dont hear from you before I
> leave today, Ill work on all the advise u give to me tomarrow.
> Oh BTW, to grahams question, I wouldnt have anyone blocking my dvd viewing
> rights at my work pc because not only is the pc at my work mine, but also
> the business as well. So, I'm safe there :)
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > First thing to try is reinstalling your DVD decoding software - PowerDVD
> or
> > WinDVD, whichever came with the PC
> >
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> >
> > "RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> > > Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a
> dvd
> > > &
> > > a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO
cd,
> > > it
> > > did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> > > I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different
> > > dvd's
> > > so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show
> > > that
> > > there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> > > "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> > > different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this
> pc
> > > all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any
> effort.
> > > THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine
> > > there.
> > > Please help if u can, thank you.
> > > Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Thanks Graham:
Heres what I found out (if different than stuff I've said already)
My DVD drive:
1- DOES play store bought music cd's & store bought educational-type games
2- Does NOT play music cd's or game cd's that were copied from store bought
cd's to blank cd-r's
3- Does NOT play store bought dvd's
It does not want to open/or play dvd's manually using wmp or cyberlink or
Roxio.
What do u mean by "can you
> remove it and put the one you know works in it and see if that works?"
were u talking about the dvd's or something else.
I beleive that since it does play stuff as indicated in #1, that it does
work and maybe something needs to be configured or place a check mark
somewhere. Well.....that is what I am hopeing for. This pc (dvd drive) is
rarely used for dvd playback at my work. In all of 2 years that we've had
this pc, I would guess that its been used 7 times to watch movies.
Please help me if you can. Also, is there a forum that also might help if no
one here can???
I also try to keep my pc firewalled, virus free, spyware free, patched up.
I'm starting to wonder (just a thought) if maybe there is something missing
that might have gotten removed accidentally by a anti-spyware/adware program
or by manual removal. How can I check to make sure the necessary componants
are on my system?

"Graham Hughes" <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote in message
> Will it play any dvd's, or open up any dvd with software etc on rather
than
> just movie dvd's? Just thinking in case the drive itself is faulty, can
you
> remove it and put the one you know works in it and see if that works?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> > Hi-I still cant get it to work. I did what Cari suggested ( uninstalling
> > cyberlink power dvd, which came with my pc) then reinstalling it as
well.
> > rebooted between the two. The installation cd was placed in the dvd
drive
> > and it worked fine to proceed with the installation. But again. when I
> tried
> > playing different dvd's, nothing happens. As soon as I insert any movie
> dvd,
> > on my cursor the little cd icon shows for a second as it used to. But
> > nothing pops up to indicated to me that there is a cd that is gonna play
> or
> > that there are errors. I tried using windows media player, interactual
> > player, and nothing happens. According to the computor, when a dvd is in
> the
> > dvd drive, it acts as if nothing is in there.
> > Please advise me on the next thing to do. If I dont hear from you before
> > leave today, Ill work on all the advise u give to me tomarrow.
> > Oh BTW, to grahams question, I wouldnt have anyone blocking my dvd
viewing
> > rights at my work pc because not only is the pc at my work mine, but
also
> > the business as well. So, I'm safe there :)
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> > > First thing to try is reinstalling your DVD decoding software -
PowerDVD
> > or
> > > WinDVD, whichever came with the PC
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > > www.coribright.com
> > >
> > > "RustyM" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> > dvd
> cd,
> > pc
> > effort.

By the "can you" piece, I meant remove the drive which works in the one pc
and put it in place of the drive which isn't working in the second pc to see
if it's a faulty drive.
The problem may be a digital rights problem, or it could be a drive which
doesn't work.
You could try the windowsxp.mediaplayer newsgroup, where the experts on
media player hang out.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> [...]
play
> > or
> > > that there are errors. I tried using windows media player, interactual
> > > player, and nothing happens. According to the computor, when a dvd is
in
> > the
> > > dvd drive, it acts as if nothing is in there.
> > > Please advise me on the next thing to do. If I dont hear from you
before
> > > leave today, Ill work on all the advise u give to me tomarrow.
> > > Oh BTW, to grahams question, I wouldnt have anyone blocking my dvd
> viewing
> > > rights at my work pc because not only is the pc at my work mine, but
> also
> > > the business as well. So, I'm safe there :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Hi Rusty...
I have the very same exact problems that you are having -- unable to play
DVD's because they aren't being recognized at all. But yet, I can play CD's
just fine. I would attempt to try what Cari suggested (my computer came
with WINdvd), but now... I don't see it to uninstall/reinstall - I just
can't seem to find it anywhere. Next step, I suppose is to try what Graham
suggested about talking with the media player team. I dunno....... it's
just so frustrating to have bought and paid for something that can't even be
used and yet suppose to work. If or when you have figured out the solution
to this problem, please re-post a reply. And I'll do the same.
Thanks.................................. - S

"RustyM" wrote:

> Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a dvd &
> a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd, it
> did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different dvd's
> so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show that
> there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this pc
> all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any effort.
> THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine there.
> Please help if u can, thank you.
> Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

I have the same problem here. I have been trying everything known to mankind
for over a month now. Ever since SP2.

"-Summer" wrote:

> Hi Rusty...
> I have the very same exact problems that you are having -- unable to play
> DVD's because they aren't being recognized at all. But yet, I can play CD's
> just fine. I would attempt to try what Cari suggested (my computer came
> with WINdvd), but now... I don't see it to uninstall/reinstall - I just
> can't seem to find it anywhere. Next step, I suppose is to try what Graham
> suggested about talking with the media player team. I dunno....... it's
> just so frustrating to have bought and paid for something that can't even be
> used and yet suppose to work. If or when you have figured out the solution
> to this problem, please re-post a reply. And I'll do the same.
> Thanks.................................. - S
>
> "RustyM" wrote:
>
> > Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a dvd &
> > a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO cd, it
> > did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> > I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different dvd's
> > so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show that
> > there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> > "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> > different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this pc
> > all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any effort.
> > THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine there.
> > Please help if u can, thank you.
> > Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

I called Dell and we spent 2 hours trying different things. No luck. THey
said our last resort is to do a ininstall of XP. I dont want to do that
cause its scares me that Ill mess something up. I think that that is a
drastic measure to take. But if necessary, I may have to do it and hopefully
do it with the assistance of a dell tech- If I ever find out what the
problem was, I will post back to this thread. GOod luck to you too

--
"U2WillFall" <U2WillFall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem here. I have been trying everything known to
mankind
> for over a month now. Ever since SP2.
>
> "-Summer" wrote:
>
> > Hi Rusty...
> > I have the very same exact problems that you are having -- unable to
play
> > DVD's because they aren't being recognized at all. But yet, I can play
CD's
> > just fine. I would attempt to try what Cari suggested (my computer
came
> > with WINdvd), but now... I don't see it to uninstall/reinstall - I just
> > can't seem to find it anywhere. Next step, I suppose is to try what
Graham
> > suggested about talking with the media player team. I dunno.......
it's
> > just so frustrating to have bought and paid for something that can't
even be
> > used and yet suppose to work. If or when you have figured out the
solution
> > to this problem, please re-post a reply. And I'll do the same.
> > Thanks.................................. - S
> >
> > "RustyM" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi- My dvd drive is not playing dvd's.THis is what I know. I insert a
dvd &
> > > a cd-rom in the dvd drive and nothing happens. WHen I put in a AUDIO
cd, it
> > > did play, with windows media player. SO that is fine.
> > > I tried doing the trouble shooting as noted above. I tried different
dvd's
> > > so it is NOT the dvd's. . I went my computor and it does not even show
that
> > > there is a dvd in the drive. I double clicked to open it and it says,
> > > "please insert a dvd into drive D'- In properties I try to play using
> > > different programs, and nothing happens. I used to play movies on this
pc
> > > all the time and it always automatically loaded a dvd without any
effort.
> > > THis pc is at my work. I have the same pc at home. It works just fine
there.
> > > Please help if u can, thank you.
> > > Dell >pent 4> 256 ram >sp1> wix xp> 2 year old
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

I completely restored my Sony Laptop after downloading SP2, and my cdrw/dvd
drive still doesn't recognize a DVD disc when I insert it. I would try to do
a complete reinstall of windows XP if I had a disk. The XP program installed
on my harddrive is probably bad so reinstalling it from there will do me no
good. Sony says "I Dunno". I am shaking I am so mad at there customer
service. But I do know there is a problem with a lot of DVD drives and noone
will own up to it.

"RustyM" wrote:

> I called Dell and we spent 2 hours trying different things. No luck. THey
> said our last resort is to do a ininstall of XP. I dont want to do that
> cause its scares me that Ill mess something up. I think that that is a
> drastic measure to take. But if necessary, I may have to do it and hopefully
> do it with the assistance of a dell tech- If I ever find out what the
> problem was, I will post back to this thread. GOod luck to you too
>
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> "U2WillFall" <U2WillFall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same problem here. I have been trying everything known to
> mankind
> > for over a month now. Ever since SP2.
> >
> > "-Summer" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Rusty...
> > > I have the very same exact problems that you are having -- unable to
> play
> > > DVD's because they aren't being recognized at all. But yet, I can play
> CD's
> > > just fine. I would attempt to try what Cari suggested (my computer
> came
> > > with WINdvd), but now... I don't see it to uninstall/reinstall - I just
> > > can't seem to find it anywhere. Next step, I suppose is to try what
> Graham
> > > suggested about talking with the media player team. I dunno.......
> it's
> > > just so frustrating to have bought and paid for something that can't
> even be
> > > used and yet suppose to work. If or when you have figured out the
> solution
> > > to this problem, please re-post a reply. And I'll do the same.
> > > Thanks.................................. - S

> dvd &
> cd, it
> dvd's
> that
> pc
> effort.
> there.

This is all very discouraging. I am having the exact same problem on SP1...
I have no idea what changed to render the DVD drive inoperable. My drive is
a HP 400i. It will read CDs, write CDs but fails in all cases to recognize a
DVD in the drive... whether it be under Windows Explorer, Media Player,
Pinnacle Studio V8, etc. When you insert a DVD into the drive, the drive
light comes on for 5-10 seconds and on the Windows screen I get the picture
of the CD for the cursor (for about 1 second). Most programs will say
"Insert disc" or "no disc found". ARG!

"U2WillFall" wrote:

> I completely restored my Sony Laptop after downloading SP2, and my cdrw/dvd
> drive still doesn't recognize a DVD disc when I insert it. I would try to do
> a complete reinstall of windows XP if I had a disk. The XP program installed
> on my harddrive is probably bad so reinstalling it from there will do me no
> good. Sony says "I Dunno". I am shaking I am so mad at there customer
> service. But I do know there is a problem with a lot of DVD drives and noone
> will own up to it.
>
> "RustyM" wrote:
>
> > I called Dell and we spent 2 hours trying different things. No luck. THey
> > said our last resort is to do a ininstall of XP. I dont want to do that
> > cause its scares me that Ill mess something up. I think that that is a
> > drastic measure to take. But if necessary, I may have to do it and hopefully
> > do it with the assistance of a dell tech- If I ever find out what the
> > problem was, I will post back to this thread. GOod luck to you too
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
> > "U2WillFall" <U2WillFall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have the same problem here. I have been trying everything known to
> > mankind
> > > for over a month now. Ever since SP2.

> > play
> > CD's
> > came
> > Graham
> > it's
> > even be
> > solution

> > dvd &
> > cd, it
> > dvd's
> > that
> > pc
> > effort.
> > there.

I have this same problem did you ever get a resoluation on this issue. I had
to reinstall my system and after reinstalling WinXP and applying all the
patches I cannot access a DVD game. It will play on my laptop but not my PC.
I can play audio and video DVD's in the drive but that is it.

Christine