Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Report: Public Windows 8 Beta Coming in February

Last response: in News comments
December 4, 2011 9:12:53 PM

I sure it will be leaked long before February.
Score
December 4, 2011 9:18:22 PM

Windows 7 was good, Windows 8 will be an improved version if Windows 7. Will be using the beta most likely.
Score
Related resources
December 4, 2011 9:25:47 PM

I'm not holding my breath. Vista was soooo bad... 7 finally fixed it. But there's a ton of major changes to 8 that I'm very concerned about and not a simple way to make it differently... At least not unless they have a bunch of differences between the current developer's preview and the released beta. But right now, I'm not even considering 8... But we'll see. It'll likely take a year or more to see release anyhow but...
Score
December 4, 2011 9:49:30 PM

SirGCalI'm not holding my breath. Vista was soooo bad... 7 finally fixed it. But there's a ton of major changes to 8 that I'm very concerned about and not a simple way to make it differently... At least not unless they have a bunch of differences between the current developer's preview and the released beta. But right now, I'm not even considering 8... But we'll see. It'll likely take a year or more to see release anyhow but...

I disagree. Ignoring the metor UI and assuming that at release it will be able to be completely disabled. Window 8 will be an improvement on 7. Its got a lot of new features and tweaks, like the file transfer manager and multi-core boot, that will make it better. I am looking forward to its release.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:06:34 PM

Everyone always hates Vista but I loved it. The biggest reason was the searchbar in the start menu. I also liked the introduction of gadgets. Stickynotes and cpu meter were great. The only program I ever had problems with was KOTOR II and with one download that problem was fixed.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:13:29 PM

SirGCalI'm not holding my breath. Vista was soooo bad... 7 finally fixed it. But there's a ton of major changes to 8 that I'm very concerned about and not a simple way to make it differently... At least not unless they have a bunch of differences between the current developer's preview and the released beta. But right now, I'm not even considering 8... But we'll see. It'll likely take a year or more to see release anyhow but...

Vista wasn't nearly as bad as people made it seem. Initially it had very little support from the industry, Microsoft has learned the lesson to keep the industry close especially when you plan to do a radical overhaul. They're working very close with the right people both hardware and software based, to keep that from happening again.

As far as whatever problems are currently wrong with Windows 8, well that's what a Public Beta is for. To get as many willing participants to test out the software, use it in thousands of different ways and run into and report any problems, bugs, or issues they have. You can't knock Windows 8 before it's technically even in Beta.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:30:08 PM

Just seems too early... I love Win7 so much.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:36:03 PM

Vista was fine if you had the right hardware. Yeah it was new but i bought it day 2 of release and never had 1 problem. Its funny my whole family and friends are "techies", but I always asked whats so bad about vista to them. They all said "well I heard", not very good especailly coming from from people who should know whats going on. But I always said try it then criticise. They ALL said they were wrong. Vista was good as long as you had the right hardware. Windows 8 will be different too, but im so looking forward to the ecosystem that windows has coming together. It will be a big relief from the segmented system that is going on now.
Score
Anonymous
December 4, 2011 10:52:51 PM

Vista was perfectly fine if you weren't running 1 gb of ram and a P4, I see no difference with Windows 8. It just got bashed so badly mainly because of under powered hardware and Apple commercials.
Score
December 4, 2011 10:57:17 PM

I agree that Windows Vista was good as well. The problem was that it required so much more from PCs, and buying the cheapest out there (like so many do) didn't cut it. People with 1 GB of RAM in their PCs and poor GPUs just couldn't do very much. And also, the average consumer keeps their PC looking like trash with all the bloatware that they install which didn't help the problem. Microsoft could have averted problems if they had worked with the industry better, streamlined the OS hardware consumption a bit more, and bumbed up the requirements (like 2 GB instead of 1 and a 1.5 GHz processor instead of 1.0)
Score
December 4, 2011 11:01:48 PM

Vista ran all right with a 2.8GHz HT Pentium 4 northwood, 2GB DDR 400MHz, and a Geforce 6200, but not great, and it was enough that I ended up downgrading to XP. The thing is, with the right hardware, it wasn't at all bad. I think Windows 8 has good improvements behind-the-scenes, but the metro ui SUCKS unless you have a tablet, and even then, it's just okay. Windows 7, as it is, is quite good and I see no real reason to make major changes to the UI. I think Windows 8's explorer is a bit more convoluted than before, and that's not necessary. However, I definitely like the new task manager in all aspects, easier to use, the graphs are easier to read (bright green lines on a dim green background with green lines in there just isn't very good), and now when you ask it to kill a program it actually ends the program rather than asking it to end politely, taking forever (it might be good to have a 'Are you sure?' warning incase someone accidentally clicks the wrong thing though). A few other things - get rid of the little 'click' navigation noise in IE and Explorer, and speed up MenuShowDelay by default to 100ms or so (like a lot of linux distros and Mac OS X).
Score
December 4, 2011 11:05:46 PM

As for vista, another thing - keep in mind that by the time Windows 7 was released hardware had improved quite a bit, so make the OS a little lighter, and new PCs are MUCH faster. I mean, wtf, why were vista PCs made with only 1GB RAM? No wonder why they were slow.
Score
December 4, 2011 11:09:34 PM

fruityteaVista was perfectly fine if you weren't running 1 gb of ram and a P4, I see no difference with Windows 8. It just got bashed so badly mainly because of under powered hardware and Apple commercials.

I think Windows 8 may be even better there. For instance, you don't need GPU support for aero transparency now. I've got aero even though I'm running Windows 8 in virtualbox, and it won't accept vbox's windows 7 video driver (code 37).
Score
December 4, 2011 11:38:14 PM

I can't wait to see it, and Kinect for PC! I sure hope they're integrated.
Score
December 4, 2011 11:41:28 PM

I don't like Metro... And by the looks of it, I don't like the "underlying" desktop either...
Score
December 4, 2011 11:53:26 PM

My greatest problems with vista were always the ridiculous overhead it had compared to XP. On a machine with 2GiB RAM (very common computers until after windows 7 came out) I usually had less than 1GiB of free RAM when I had nothing running. Windows 7 improved on that somewhat but windows 8 is improving on that even more. Considering the difference in RAM usage between windows 7 and server 2008r2 I would really like a copy of windows 8 server but Microsoft isn't giving it out for free to everyone right now like the desktop version.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:21:21 AM

I wonder if we will get to try it out as long as the Win 7 RC1. Would be nice.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:27:50 AM

biggest reason for windows 8: bulldozer scheduler fix. that will stop a lot of whining.
anyway, win 8 looks quite lightweight but stronger than previous versions. i am skeptical about a few things:
how ms will juggle two versions (tablet and pc)
how important the metro ui would be. the start menu in win 8 didn't seem as effective as 7.
with ms trying to steer two very different os optimization-wise, arm and x86, (although they're the same outside) how much secure will they be. ms is notorious for os vulnurability.
will it let us play crysis?
Score
December 5, 2011 12:31:30 AM

Vista was a dog. Compared to XP it was much harder to use and had some senseless changes that just made it frustrating to use, the original version was also full of bugs. Even after two service packs it still leaves a lot to be desired. Windows 7 is a big improvement on Vista but still lacks some of XP's features and useability. Windows 8 so far while having some good points such as the task manager, at the moment falls far behind even Vista in useability and bugs. However it is to early to decide if Windows 8 will be better than Windows 7 or worse than Vista as things are still in a state of change. On the desktop Metro sucks, so one of the changes that needs to be made is to make it easy to turn it off.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:41:48 AM

cmon microsoft!! try and get it out sooner, i'l slap a spare drive in here and give it a few testruns, from what i saw before im not interested, but this will be your chance to change that.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:44:36 AM

just the other day i bought my first copy of windows7. yea on sale at newegg. i hesitated to purchase it so long because for the longest time it was still around $200 for professional 64bit..
win8 is going to have to be pretty damn special to make me move from the 7 thats in delivery right now to my doorstep to a new OS.
"Cmon Microsoft do something special"
Score
Anonymous
December 5, 2011 1:30:34 AM

As long as i can test out Bulldozer with the scheduler fix and Run Crysis than I will be impressed. I also don't want the minimum computer specs raised again, if anything they should stay the same with win7.
my wish list:
- They also need native format options for Hard drives in FAT32 a la winXP.
- They need to allow legacy start bar options like "classic start menu"
- If they introduce winXP virtual machine, they better provide it with GPU hardware acceleration, none of that software emulated nonsense in win 7.
- For the love of god please bring back support for creating batch files like in winXP.
- I want affinity settings to be remembered for any application, for example through the shortcut.
- I want an end to defragging or scan disk when the computer is idle by default. I should have clear control of that.
- I want the old classic Logo.sys file so I can customize my start screen like in Win98 days.
- I want a free copy of microsoft flight bundled with the win 8 beta :)  !
- I want soundcard hardware acceleration reactivated like it used to until Vista
- I want the bootloader to accept multiple OS on one hard disk, and recognize win98 and Ubuntu versions, not just winXP.
- I want Crysis to run on maximum setting using a 4+ core Intel or 4+ core AMD CPU at 30 Frames per second with a $200 GPU, no excuses.

Ok that is all my ranting:

Happy Hollidays :) 
Score
December 5, 2011 1:48:42 AM

11796pcsI agree that Windows Vista was good as well. The problem was that it required so much more from PCs, and buying the cheapest out there (like so many do) didn't cut it. People with 1 GB of RAM in their PCs and poor GPUs just couldn't do very much. And also, the average consumer keeps their PC looking like trash with all the bloatware that they install which didn't help the problem. Microsoft could have averted problems if they had worked with the industry better, streamlined the OS hardware consumption a bit more, and bumbed up the requirements (like 2 GB instead of 1 and a 1.5 GHz processor instead of 1.0)

you are right! you mean i need a intel core i7 2600k, 16GB ram and geforce gtx 580, or windows sucks?
A new windows should not be a reason to buy new HW, that's ridiculous. that's the reason why i'm still using xp and the latest linux con my core 2 quad, 4 gb of ram and geforce 8600 gt.
windows vista and 7 are the same s***.. but if you are happy.. good 4 you!
Score
December 5, 2011 1:49:13 AM

I didn't mind Vista 8. Yeah it required more ram. I bought 4 gigs of ram for around 100 bucks. I am not sure why some people couldn't buy ram. To me it says something about them.

But anyway, yes Vista was not great. Win 7 was much better.

I think we will have to see about Win 8. Its obviously going to have some things which cause people to complain, but hopefully it will be a step forward.
Score
December 5, 2011 1:56:32 AM

I know how you feel soldier37, i was doing the same for a moment there, every few months though it would tell me its not legitimate. so i just decided to go back to XP. finally bought a real copy because i want DX10. and i dont want to have to read the description of my windows updates.

I wish networking in win7 wasn't all messed up, i cant get them to network properly for the life of me. problems no matter what guide i follow,, with xp it was simple.. WTF Microsoft.
Score
Anonymous
December 5, 2011 3:10:10 AM

anyone else find it funny that windows gets a lot better at managing memory when memory is hitting dirt cheap?
seriously, 8GB is around 50 bucks now days.
Score
December 5, 2011 3:14:04 AM

Hope they release good drivers. I have Windows 8 developer edition in a virtual machine and could never get the network to work because there is no driver for it.
Score
December 5, 2011 4:10:30 AM

Dear Microsoft,

Please, Please, Please have Classic (Win 7) mode. Along with all the new architectural changes, as well as nailing mobility, it will be killer....but please don't take away my win 7 interface. I like it way too much.
Score
December 5, 2011 4:42:04 AM

Even though there are a lot of improvements... I'm using Win7 and I don't feel like migrating to Win8. Maybe other feel the same way, too. But Vista/XP user might finally upgrade to Win8. XP is still great... for netbooks even if it's a decade old :D 

Any news on ARMx86-64 compatibility? Need emulators to work for different processors? VS will have patch for ARM platform.. or they'll release VS2011 for that (ouch)?
Score
December 5, 2011 6:02:24 AM

I used Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 on a Intel DG31PR motherboard with celeron(conroe-L) 430 @ 1.8GHz & 1GB DDR2 800MHz RAM. It ran quite well on $110 hardware. So the upgrade was not much costly.
Of course Windows 7 is better & I expect Windows 8 to be more superior.
Score
December 5, 2011 6:48:50 AM

Bring me windows 8 with Kinect interface! Minority Report!!
Score
December 5, 2011 7:25:26 AM

People hated Vista just as much as the hates XP when it first launched, the difference was XP wasn't replaced so as hardware got better and it ran faster people stopped whining about performance. 7 was no faster than Vista it was just by the time it was released hardware had moved on. I still use Vista as I prefer the GUI and that's the only noticeable difference between the two.
Score
December 5, 2011 8:33:59 AM

There's still people bashing on Vista. I had Vista since beta 1 day, till windows 7 beta 1 day and never had issues with it.
When you don't know anything about simple maintenance, you don't have the right to blame microsoft or else one. When you call a friend to install your windows, you automatically lose this right.
Don't blame microsoft, blame the retard in front of the monitor.
Score
December 5, 2011 8:45:54 AM

I'm quite happy with 7, so if I were to go to 8, it'd have to be lighter, or as light as 7.

All the features they are peddling, I won't even use a quarter of them.

Less bloat, more intuitive (including the 'advanced' settings) please.
Score
December 5, 2011 9:52:27 AM

I'm currently using Windows 8 build 8102 as a primary OS since 2months atleast and I can say that it's far better than any Windows before. It's not a half-ass joke like Vista was and performance-wise it's better than 7 and requires less ram to operate.
Still the left-side hover function interferes with RTS games like SC2 because you can't drag to the left but that can be avoided by disabling the Metro UI.
P.S yeah, crysis 1/2 run on it flawlessly so no problems
Score
December 5, 2011 11:03:16 AM

soldier37Dang just as I was getting used to my bootlegged copy of 7 ultimate 64 bit now they go and come out with 8 so soon...

don't be a cheap prick, then, and buy it if you're using it.
Score
December 5, 2011 11:26:22 AM

Still feels to soon for a new Windows version, doesn't it?
Score
a b * Windows 8
December 5, 2011 11:28:49 AM

I just happy with my Vista Ultimate rigs.... all of them.... never had one problem. I have completely skipped Windows 7. Never liked the look nor the feel. Whereas I have been using Win8 from the very day they released the Dev. Edi. and am seriously loving the code optimization. Now one things for sure, I will jump onto the Win 8 wagon as soon as I get myself a few touchscreens. And for the prices of those to come down at the size of monitors I use, it's going to be only by the time they release SP1 for Win 8.
Score
a b * Windows 8
December 5, 2011 12:12:17 PM

Hopefully Win 8 will work on really old weak hardware like Win 7 does.

Installed Win 7 Home Prem. on an ancient Shuttle X with 512mb and an 1 GHz Athlon using XP drivers by opening them in XPSP2 compatibility mode. While it was more or less an experiment (it is used by a 9 year old), it runs much faster than XP did without any issues and allows use of the homegroup.

Come on Win 8 -- top that for efficiency and compatibility. :)  P.S. 8 looks great running in VMW8.01.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:25:22 PM

ujaansona said:
I used Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 on a Intel DG31PR motherboard with celeron(conroe-L) 430 @ 1.8GHz & 1GB DDR2 800MHz RAM. It ran quite well on $110 hardware. So the upgrade was not much costly.
Of course Windows 7 is better & I expect Windows 8 to be more superior.

you need a real unit..
Score
December 5, 2011 12:31:16 PM

megasamsungEveryone always hates Vista but I loved it. The biggest reason was the searchbar in the start menu. I also liked the introduction of gadgets. Stickynotes and cpu meter were great. The only program I ever had problems with was KOTOR II and with one download that problem was fixed.

This.

I don't see why Vista is regarded as being horrible as an OS. I used it well with no problems because any problem I encountered was either my fault or the hardware's fault of the laptop I used it on. Memory managing could have been improved but it was nothing to complain about.

I will be beta testing Win8 though when it is released.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:49:44 PM

Windows 8 looks like a bust. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until Microsoft can prove to me that Windows 8 is worth upgrading to. More than likely, I'll wait until Windows 9.
Score
December 5, 2011 1:02:56 PM

I am not sure why people are obsessed with ARM because going to ARM is like going 5 years back. I am not sure why MS bothers with it. As soon as Intel drops x86 processor into mobile ARM is good as dead.
Score
December 5, 2011 1:31:50 PM

I'm looking forward to Win8 but not because I think it's going to be the next coming of Christ. I just want to see if it really does make a difference with the AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver cores. If it does, I just might fond myself getting a Piledriver-based FX CPU. That's the biggest "wait-and-see" thing for me about this new OS. Other than that, it's a bit anti-climactic.
Score
December 5, 2011 3:49:37 PM

Time for change to Fedora or joli cloud.
Score
December 5, 2011 4:47:50 PM

I hope they are smart and go with one more addition to the install selections.

Do you have a touchscreen? No - then default to the non-MetroUI

If you have a touchscreen - then default to the MetroUI, but ALSO give the option (without having to go through a regedit) to TURN IT OFF!!!!

Sorry about the caps there, but it stinks "that" bad!! <---- Got that MS???
Score
December 5, 2011 6:19:10 PM

I was hoping to hear people's thoughts about Win 8. We're up to 2 pages of comments with 97% being about Vista.
Score
December 5, 2011 6:34:36 PM

This is going to be a big fail, because the interface is more complex than windows 7.
Score
December 5, 2011 7:21:29 PM

marracoThis is going to be a big fail, because the interface is more complex than windows 7.

you do realize there will be an option to turn the mtro UI off right? i mean you just don't post things you don't even know about right?
Score
!