USB 2.0 port

Hi,

I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".

My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!

Rick
8 answers Last reply
More about port

    gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com wrote

    > I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug
    > my USB disk, the system shows "This USB device can
    > perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".

    > My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host
    > controller. What I can do to get a USB 2.0 port?

    Plug in a USB2 card.

    <gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
    > system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    > Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
    >
    > My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
    > do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
    >
    > Rick

    You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers

    "trmbr" <trmbr50@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:dc0u95$1ilt$1@si05.rsvl.unisys.com...

    > <gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1122160205.770341.257830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, the
    > > system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    > > Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
    > >
    > > My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can
    > > do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
    > >
    > > Rick
    > >

    > You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card

    Easy.

    > and install the necessary drivers

    Easy too.

    But how will that PCI card attach to the Laptop?

    > You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers

    You probably meant PCMCIA card.
    Like this:
    http://www.bixnet.com/2poruspcmcic.html

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers
    >
    > You probably meant PCMCIA card.
    > Like this:
    > http://www.bixnet.com/2poruspcmcic.html

    No such thing as PCMCIA cards. Disappeared long ago.

    Cardbus can be considered a PCI 2 variation.

    trmbr <trmbr50@hotmail.com> wrote
    > <gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com> wrote

    >> I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, the system
    >> shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB
    >> 2.0 port".

    >> My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I can do to
    >> get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!

    > You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card

    Not much use in laptops. He could get a USB2 PCMCIA or Cardbus card tho.

    > and installe the necessary drivers

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >> You can buy a USB2.0 PCI card and installe the necessary drivers
    >
    > You probably meant PCMCIA card.
    > Like this:
    > http://www.bixnet.com/2poruspcmcic.html

    Yes...apologies....I meant a PCMCIA card - which I use in my laptop

    gouqizi.lvcha@gmail.com Wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have my laptop running Windows XP SP2. When I plug my USB disk, th
    > system shows "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to
    > Hi-speed USB 2.0 port".
    >
    > My laptop have three VIA Rev5 USB universal host controller. What I
    > can
    > do to get a USB 2.0 port? Thanks!
    >
    > Rick

    Your hardware is almost certainly USB 2.0 (ie HiSpeed) but Windows
    doesn't understand this.

    I had exactly the same problem on my desktop machine, tearing my hair
    out since the USB devices were listed as Enhanced in Device Manager but
    still was getting that same "this device could run faster if plugged
    into a hispeed usb port" message. Finally I was able to solve it
    using the time honored technique of removing every last USB related
    device in Device Manager (ControlPanel|System|Hardware|DeviceManager)
    then rebooting, whereupon Windows saw the "new" USB devices, installed
    the drivers properly, and life was good. Luckily I had an old PS2
    keyboard and mouse sitting around, since my USB mouse+keyboard can't be
    used when killing USB support in Device Manager.

    This technique is often fruitful for any kind of hardware problem.

    HTH!

    Brian

    --
    bpratt