100% CPU usage every now and then while playing videos

I am trying to edit videos using my mini DV camera and such. I can capture
the video fine. But when i try to play back the clip it plays back choppy and
my CPU usage is at 100%. Other times it plays back choppy then steadies out
with a CPU usage of 100% and then about 50-60%.
And rarely it will play back smoothly, with an initial jump to 100% then
goes down a few seconds later.
Most of the time it is always choppy and the CPU usage is at 100% for a
while. I can't watch the videos properly this way and it is annoying.
What is the problem? Is it my processor?
My specs are........
1 GB RAM
995 MHz Athlon processor
30GB internal hard drive
80 GB external hard drive (where videos are captured and played)
1 answer Last reply
More about usage playing videos

    I can play back avi's fine on my office 750 Athlon. How is the external
    drive connected? You'd need firewire or usb 2 for video work.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to edit videos using my mini DV camera and such. I can capture
    > the video fine. But when i try to play back the clip it plays back choppy
    and
    > my CPU usage is at 100%. Other times it plays back choppy then steadies
    out
    > with a CPU usage of 100% and then about 50-60%.
    > And rarely it will play back smoothly, with an initial jump to 100% then
    > goes down a few seconds later.
    > Most of the time it is always choppy and the CPU usage is at 100% for a
    > while. I can't watch the videos properly this way and it is annoying.
    > What is the problem? Is it my processor?
    > My specs are........
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 995 MHz Athlon processor
    > 30GB internal hard drive
    > 80 GB external hard drive (where videos are captured and played)

Video CPUs Windows XP