my video disappears...why?

Occasionally, in the course of watching a film, my video stops working (i
just get a black screen) for no apparent reason. It's not codec related
because once it happens it happens for any video player and for any file
format. Rebooting fixes this, but I would like to know what causes this,
and/or how I might go about tracking it down. Appreciate any suggestions
3 answers Last reply
More about video disappears

    Do you have your monitor set to power down after a certain amount of
    time..... ?
    www.coribright.com

    "JeanValjean24601" <JeanValjean24601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:E8FC0B91-A3C4-4D7A-BFAB-63948CA92808@microsoft.com...
    > Occasionally, in the course of watching a film, my video stops working (i
    > just get a black screen) for no apparent reason. It's not codec related
    > because once it happens it happens for any video player and for any file
    > format. Rebooting fixes this, but I would like to know what causes this,
    > and/or how I might go about tracking it down. Appreciate any suggestions

    Let me clarify...even in windowed (non-full screen) mode i can still see
    everything else BUT the film, just a faint frame box where the video would be
    slowing. I get no errors using WMP or VLC...i just can't see anything
    (although I can hear the sound fine). My guess is something is happening
    with DirectShow--I would like to know what (I have a programming background,
    and do have the source code for VLC), or at least how to track it down.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Do you have your monitor set to power down after a certain amount of
    > time..... ?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com

    My theory:
    It is a driver bug. Driver may be leaking memory and after sometime the
    memory runs out and the directshow surfaces get destroyed causing black out.

    So try updating the video driver or borrow a graphics card (different make
    model) from work or a friend and try that.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for Windows Movie Maker

    "JeanValjean24601" <JeanValjean24601@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:B03C4994-DF9B-4BD7-8D1B-2E43792A2133@microsoft.com...
    > Let me clarify...even in windowed (non-full screen) mode i can still see
    > everything else BUT the film, just a faint frame box where the video would
    > be
    > slowing. I get no errors using WMP or VLC...i just can't see anything
    > (although I can hear the sound fine). My guess is something is happening
    > with DirectShow--I would like to know what (I have a programming
    > background,
    > and do have the source code for VLC), or at least how to track it down.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have your monitor set to power down after a certain amount of
    >> time..... ?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com

Video Microsoft Windows XP