How to make an USB stick bootable / Which files + more do ..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.msdos.misc (More info?)

I have a bootable (!) CD-ROM with a couple of MS-DOS programs on it.
Now I want to move all the stuff to an USB stick.

However as far as I know not only the visible files are necessary to boot from a CD-ROM but
something like a boot entry in the CD MBR or something like that.

How do I make an USB stick bootable? Yes, from the motherboards (BIOS) view a boot from
USB stick is possible in general.

Sven
5 answers Last reply
More about make stick bootable files

    In article <42e68307$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net>,
    svenCx@gmx.net (Sven Claasen) wrote:

    > I have a bootable (!) CD-ROM with a couple of MS-DOS programs on it.
    > Now I want to move all the stuff to an USB stick.
    >
    > However as far as I know not only the visible files are necessary
    > to boot from a CD-ROM but something like a boot entry in the
    > CD MBR or something like that.
    >
    > How do I make an USB stick bootable? Yes, from the motherboards
    > (BIOS) view a boot from USB stick is possible in general.
    >
    > Sven

    There are recipes all over the place. Your favorite search engine
    should turn up some more.

    "Bootable DOS in USB Flash memory"
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=352906

    Be very careful with the HP utility, if you decide to
    use it. Or at least, you may want to do some research into
    any formatting tool you happen upon. There is always a
    danger it will format the wrong device.

    For example, see the warning half way down this web page:

    http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org:8080/tdot/usbkeyfob/index.php

    "I think you should know that the HP formatting util that
    rebuilds the mbr on the fob is buggy and dangerous. I loaded
    it, pointed it to my attached fob, and clicked format. It
    jumped drive letters to an attached drive and wiped out the
    fat tables in an instant. I believe it automatically jumps to
    whatever is the first USB device drive letter. I was able to
    restore the data thanks to a powerful utility I keep on hand
    for such disasters, but others might not be so lucky. I'm don't
    blame you for this happening one bit. I just suggest you add
    a warning to your instructions to have no other usb attached
    storage devices other than the fob for this step."

    Paul

    Make a windows 98 boot floppy or an xp boot disk. Be sure to show
    system / hiddem files. Copy the floppy contents to your usb disk in
    windows...works for me ! I used win98se boot floppy...be sure to set
    the system bios usb device to "auto" detect usb boot...

    Regards,

    On 26 Jul 2005 18:38:00 GMT, svenCx@gmx.net (Sven Claasen) wrote:

    >I have a bootable (!) CD-ROM with a couple of MS-DOS programs on it.
    >Now I want to move all the stuff to an USB stick.
    >
    >However as far as I know not only the visible files are necessary to boot from a CD-ROM but
    >something like a boot entry in the CD MBR or something like that.
    >
    >How do I make an USB stick bootable? Yes, from the motherboards (BIOS) view a boot from
    >USB stick is possible in general.
    >
    >Sven

    In article <42e68307$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net>,
    svenCx@gmx.net (Sven Claasen) wrote:

    > I have a bootable (!) CD-ROM with a couple of MS-DOS programs on it.
    > Now I want to move all the stuff to an USB stick.
    >
    > However as far as I know not only the visible files are necessary to
    boot from a CD-ROM but
    > something like a boot entry in the CD MBR or something like that.
    >
    > How do I make an USB stick bootable? Yes, from the motherboards (BIOS)
    view a boot from
    > USB stick is possible in general.
    >
    > Sven

    There are plenty of recipes out there for USB flash devices.
    This is just the first one I looked at:

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=352906

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1676&page=2

    Utility for preparing USB flash:
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/21284.html

    Warning about (perhaps an earlier version of) the HP utility:
    http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org:8080/tdot/usbkeyfob/index.php

    "I think you should know that the HP formatting util that rebuilds
    the mbr on the fob is buggy and dangerous. I loaded it, pointed
    it to my attached fob, and clicked format. It jumped drive
    letters to an attached drive and wiped out the fat tables in an
    instant. I believe it automatically jumps to whatever is the
    first USB device drive letter. I was able to restore the data
    thanks to a powerful utility I keep on hand for such disasters,
    but others might not be so lucky. I'm don't blame you for this
    happening one bit. I just suggest you add a warning to your
    instructions to have no other usb attached storage devices other
    than the fob for this step."

    Terms I ran into: "MBR", "FAT", "active partition", "system files"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Try Here. http://www.bootdisk.info/articles.php?action=show&id=63
    "Sven Claasen" <svenCx@gmx.net> wrote in message
    >I have a bootable (!) CD-ROM with a couple of MS-DOS programs on it.
    > Now I want to move all the stuff to an USB stick.
    >
    > However as far as I know not only the visible files are necessary to boot
    > from a CD-ROM but
    > something like a boot entry in the CD MBR or something like that.
    >
    > How do I make an USB stick bootable? Yes, from the motherboards (BIOS)
    > view a boot from
    > USB stick is possible in general.
    >
    > Sven

    try this: