Multiple Monitor-Need Help

Hi,
I'm new to the group and am looking for some help. I have an IBM ThinkPad
Pentium III running Windows XP Pro. I am trying to set up my display so I
can plug a monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u) into the back of the laptop
so I can drag my windows from the laptop to the monitor. When I plug in the
Monitor I get the same display on both.
I've gone into the settings tab and tried to switch the diplay to multiple
monitors and look for the expand my desktop options but I don't get the drop
down option for the mulitpl display where I can designate my primary and
secondary monitor.
When I plugged in the monitor it did not prompt me for new hardware but I
assume it's working since I can see the display on the laptop and the monitor.
When I look at the display tab in setting it says muliple monitor parethesis
but I don'tget the drop down or option to set up the multiple monitor.
Can someone please help?

--
Sincerely,
Robert Alpert

check for updated graphics drivers from the laptop manufacturer

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media