Windows XP - Change from PATA to SATA

I would like to upgrade from a smaller PATA to a larger SATA harddrive.
I imagine that Windows XP will have problems doing this. My plan was
to add the SATA drive, image the PATA to SATA using True Image 8, then
change the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive, and finally remove the PATA
drive.

What else would I need to do to get XP to boot?

Thanks!

"No Spam" wrote:
>I would like to upgrade from a smaller PATA to a larger SATA harddrive.
> I imagine that Windows XP will have problems doing this. My plan was
> to add the SATA drive, image the PATA to SATA using True Image 8, then
> change the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive, and finally remove the PATA
> drive.
>
> What else would I need to do to get XP to boot?
>
> Thanks!

If you haven't yet bought True Image, download a free trial copy
of Casper XP from here: http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ .
It will do the job, and it will even make the new partition the size that
you want and where on the drive you want it. That's handy if there
will be (or already are) other partitions on the destination drive.

*TimDaniels*

No Spam <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I would like to upgrade from a smaller PATA to a larger SATA
> harddrive. I imagine that Windows XP will have problems doing this.

It shouldnt.

> My plan was to add the SATA drive, image the PATA to SATA using True Image 8,

You should clone it, not image it.

> then change the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive, and finally remove the PATA
> drive.

Yes, and you should at least unplug the PATA drive
for the first boot after the clone has been done.

> What else would I need to do to get XP to boot?

Safest to put the drivers for the sata port on the motherboard
on a floppy before make the clone, then if XP wont boot off
the sata drive just by changing the bios entry, you should boot
off the XP CD and use the very early option to load a driver for
the hard drive off a floppy, and then proceed as if you are going
to do a clean install on the sata drive. XP will eventually see the
existing install and offer to repair that install. Let it repair it.