Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fan very near a Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 27, 2005 6:00:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Wondering of any magnetic interference from the following :-

Drive thats horizontal but not really in the air flow of the front case fan

theres only 1 HD gap below the HD in question so i'm thinking of lying
a fan falt down blowing onto the chip side as theose chips can get well warm

i'm sure its overkill on my part but wondering if the nag field around the
fan is a problem

i remmeber the squate-law or similar that states if you double the distance
the field strenght is diminshed by 4
or similar as it spreads out rather than a 1 dimensional distance
measurement
but i'm sure you clever chaps can advise


-------------
! hd
-------------
-------------
! fan blowing upwards
-------------
==================== flat end of hd cage

p.s. just realised - theres not much air flow for the fan from underneath
but it wont be a mega powerful one

thanks

More about : fan hard drive

July 27, 2005 6:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I wouldn't worry about magnetic field interference, but rather on a dust
buildup on a circuit board of your HD.
If not cleaned, it could shorten your drive life after fan ceases to
operate.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 28, 2005 2:31:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Wondering of any magnetic interference from the following :-

> Drive thats horizontal but not really in the air flow of the front case fan

> theres only 1 HD gap below the HD in question so i'm thinking of lying
> a fan falt down blowing onto the chip side as theose chips can get well warm

> i'm sure its overkill on my part but wondering if the nag field around the
> fan is a problem

> i remmeber the squate-law or similar that states if you double the distance
> the field strenght is diminshed by 4
> or similar as it spreads out rather than a 1 dimensional distance
> measurement
> but i'm sure you clever chaps can advise

Square is right, basically the surface of a sphere.

I see no problem. I have had this configuration for several years on
one disk. The fans use sort of a ring-magnet with the driver-coils on
the inside. I think these magnets have little external field. The fans
I use (Papst) have additional shielding and no noticeable field on the
outside.

> -------------
> ! hd
> -------------
> -------------
> ! fan blowing upwards
> -------------
> ==================== flat end of hd cage

> p.s. just realised - theres not much air flow for the fan from underneath
> but it wont be a mega powerful one

Some airflow is massively better than no airflow. Convection is really
not efficient with air. Having >=5mm space beneath the fan should be
plenty.

Arno
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 28, 2005 8:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Shouldnt be a problem, there are a few bay kits that do it like that.

zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Wondering of any magnetic interference from the following :-
>
> Drive thats horizontal but not really in the air flow of the front
> case fan
>
> theres only 1 HD gap below the HD in question so i'm thinking of lying
> a fan falt down blowing onto the chip side as theose chips can get
> well warm
>
> i'm sure its overkill on my part but wondering if the nag field
> around the fan is a problem
>
> i remmeber the squate-law or similar that states if you double the
> distance the field strenght is diminshed by 4
> or similar as it spreads out rather than a 1 dimensional distance
> measurement
> but i'm sure you clever chaps can advise
>
>
> -------------
> ! hd
> -------------
> -------------
> ! fan blowing upwards
> -------------
> ==================== flat end of hd cage
>
> p.s. just realised - theres not much air flow for the fan
> from underneath but it wont be a mega powerful one
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 29, 2005 5:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

thanks

i'll experiment this weekend !



"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3kqgahFvgj63U1@individual.net...
> Previously zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Wondering of any magnetic interference from the following :-
>
> > Drive thats horizontal but not really in the air flow of the front case
fan
>
> > theres only 1 HD gap below the HD in question so i'm thinking of lying
> > a fan falt down blowing onto the chip side as theose chips can get well
warm
>
> > i'm sure its overkill on my part but wondering if the nag field around
the
> > fan is a problem
>
> > i remmeber the squate-law or similar that states if you double the
distance
> > the field strenght is diminshed by 4
> > or similar as it spreads out rather than a 1 dimensional distance
> > measurement
> > but i'm sure you clever chaps can advise
>
> Square is right, basically the surface of a sphere.
>
> I see no problem. I have had this configuration for several years on
> one disk. The fans use sort of a ring-magnet with the driver-coils on
> the inside. I think these magnets have little external field. The fans
> I use (Papst) have additional shielding and no noticeable field on the
> outside.
>
> > -------------
> > ! hd
> > -------------
> > -------------
> > ! fan blowing upwards
> > -------------
> > ==================== flat end of hd cage
>
> > p.s. just realised - theres not much air flow for the fan from
underneath
> > but it wont be a mega powerful one
>
> Some airflow is massively better than no airflow. Convection is really
> not efficient with air. Having >=5mm space beneath the fan should be
> plenty.
>
> Arno
>
>
>
!