Auto-spindown for external disks..

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 28, 2005 4:28:05 PM

Hi,

I plan to purchase a Linksys NSLU2 and a couple of USB disks (Maxtor
OneTouch?) to connect to it.

I want to use this setup for backup purposes. However I need the drives to
automatically stop rotating after a defined number of minutes with no disk
activity. I don't want them to spin 24/7 as I just need to backup stuff
once each day.

Does the disk auto-spindown functionality depend on the drive's IDE
controller or would the drives need 'stop' commands transmitted across the
USB link?

Does anyone here know if the above scenario will support auto-spindown of
the drives? Do you have any (other) suggestions to achieve what I describe?

Thanks for any comments or tips (also on which external disk brand /models
which are most reliable ;-)

best regards

Tor
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 28, 2005 10:59:36 PM

The proper method is for the USB-IDE bridge to translate USB and SCSI power
commands into ATA power commands. In that case, Windows issues the commands.

Often the bridge's sets the drive to spin down. Not a good idea, but it prevents overheating.

Note: if you are using the machine, explorer and other apps
scan drive letters, and the drives spin up constantly.

"Tor Tveitane" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:3krq9nFvrmrnU1@individual.net...

> I plan to purchase a Linksys NSLU2 and a couple of USB disks (Maxtor
> OneTouch?) to connect to it.
>
> I want to use this setup for backup purposes. However I need the drives to
> automatically stop rotating after a defined number of minutes with no disk
> activity. I don't want them to spin 24/7 as I just need to backup stuff
> once each day.
>
> Does the disk auto-spindown functionality depend on the drive's IDE
> controller or would the drives need 'stop' commands transmitted across the
> USB link?
>
> Does anyone here know if the above scenario will support auto-spindown of
> the drives? Do you have any (other) suggestions to achieve what I describe?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 29, 2005 6:05:45 AM

I'd like to barge in on this discussion.

All this talk about IDE, ATA, bridges, etc. loses me. Can anybody tell
me what I need to do in order to make my laptop's extenal USB drive
(LaCie) spin down? Or does the fact that it doesn't imply that
something somewhere is not supported?

TIA.
a b G Storage
July 29, 2005 9:08:18 AM

Tor Tveitane <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote

> I plan to purchase a Linksys NSLU2 and a couple
> of USB disks (Maxtor OneTouch?) to connect to it.

> I want to use this setup for backup purposes. However I need
> the drives to automatically stop rotating after a defined number
> of minutes with no disk activity. I don't want them to spin 24/7
> as I just need to backup stuff once each day.

> Does the disk auto-spindown functionality depend
> on the drive's IDE controller or would the drives
> need 'stop' commands transmitted across the USB link?

It can be done both ways, entirely done in
the drive itself, and commanded over the link.

> Does anyone here know if the above scenario
> will support auto-spindown of the drives?

Yes, some external drives have that capability standard.

> Do you have any (other) suggestions to achieve what I describe?

Its obviously possible to do it with a dedicated PC for the drives.

> Thanks for any comments or tips (also on which external
> disk brand /models which are most reliable ;-)

I'd use internal drives in a separate server myself.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 29, 2005 9:08:19 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ksop5F101rmoU1@individual.net
> Tor Tveitane <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote
>
> > I plan to purchase a Linksys NSLU2 and a couple
> > of USB disks (Maxtor OneTouch?) to connect to it.
>
> > I want to use this setup for backup purposes. However I need
> > the drives to automatically stop rotating after a defined number
> > of minutes with no disk activity. I don't want them to spin 24/7
> > as I just need to backup stuff once each day.
>
> > Does the disk auto-spindown functionality depend
> > on the drive's IDE controller or would the drives
> > need 'stop' commands transmitted across the USB link?
>
> It can be done both ways, entirely done in the drive itself,

But set by the USB->IDE bridge.

> and commanded over the link.

If that is supported by the USB protocoll.

> > Does anyone here know if the above scenario
> > will support auto-spindown of the drives?
>
> Yes, some external drives have that capability standard.
>
> > Do you have any (other) suggestions to achieve what I describe?
>
> Its obviously possible to do it with a dedicated PC for the drives.
>
> > Thanks for any comments or tips (also on which external
> > disk brand /models which are most reliable ;-)
>
> I'd use internal drives in a separate server myself.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 29, 2005 3:26:59 PM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Tor Tveitane <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote

>>> I plan to purchase a Linksys NSLU2 and a couple
>>> of USB disks (Maxtor OneTouch?) to connect to it.

>>> I want to use this setup for backup purposes. However I need
>>> the drives to automatically stop rotating after a defined number
>>> of minutes with no disk activity. I don't want them to spin 24/7
>>> as I just need to backup stuff once each day.

>>> Does the disk auto-spindown functionality depend
>>> on the drive's IDE controller or would the drives
>>> need 'stop' commands transmitted across the USB link?

>> It can be done both ways, entirely done in the drive itself,

> But set by the USB->IDE bridge.

Wrong. It can also be done by the drive itself.

>> and commanded over the link.

> If that is supported by the USB protocoll.

Doesnt need to be, supported by the bridge capability, actually.

>>> Does anyone here know if the above scenario
>>> will support auto-spindown of the drives?

>> Yes, some external drives have that capability standard.

>>> Do you have any (other) suggestions to achieve what I describe?

>> Its obviously possible to do it with a dedicated PC for the drives.

>>> Thanks for any comments or tips (also on which external
>>> disk brand /models which are most reliable ;-)

>> I'd use internal drives in a separate server myself.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 30, 2005 4:37:53 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ktevdF105s28U1@individual.net
> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> > > Tor Tveitane <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote

> > > It can be done both ways, entirely done in the drive itself,
>
> > But set by the USB->IDE bridge.
>
> Wrong. It can also be done by the drive itself.

Which will not be ATA compliant:

6.11.2 Standby timer

The Standby timer provides a method for the device to automatically enter Standby mode from either Active or
Idle mode *following a host programmed period of inactivity*. If the Standby timer is enabled and if the device is
in the Active or Idle mode, the device waits for the specified time period and if no command is received, the
device automatically enters the Standby mode.

> > > and commanded over the link.
>
> > If that is supported by the USB protocol.
>
> Doesnt need to be, supported by the bridge capability, actually.

If that's a sentence.

> > > Yes, some external drives have that capability standard.

> > > Its obviously possible to do it with a dedicated PC for the drives.

> > > I'd use internal drives in a separate server myself.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 30, 2005 4:18:43 PM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> But set by the USB->IDE bridge.

>> Wrong. It can also be done by the drive itself.

> Which will not be ATA compliant:

Wrong, as always.

> 6.11.2 Standby timer

> The Standby timer provides a method for the device to
> automatically enter Standby mode from either Active or
> Idle mode *following a host programmed period of inactivity*.

That just means that the host can specify the period of inactivity.

That doesnt need to be the host its being used with when it idles.

> If the Standby timer is enabled and if the device is in the Active
> or Idle mode, the device waits for the specified time period and if no
> command is received, the device automatically enters the Standby mode.

What I said in different words.

>>> If that is supported by the USB protocol.

>> Doesnt need to be, supported by the bridge capability, actually.

> If that's a sentence.

Pathetic, really.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 30, 2005 4:18:44 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3l06c7F104eaqU1@individual.net
> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
> > > Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote

> > > Wrong. It can also be done by the drive itself.
>
> > Which will not be ATA compliant:
>
> Wrong, as always.

We'll see.

> > 6.11.2 Standby timer
>
> > The Standby timer provides a method for the device to
> > automatically enter Standby mode from either Active or
> > Idle mode *following a host programmed period of inactivity*.
>
> That just means that the host can specify the period of inactivity.

Must specify.

> That doesnt need to be the host its being used with when it idles.

Irrelevant.

> > If the Standby timer is enabled and if the device is in the Active
> > or Idle mode, the device waits for the specified time period and if no
> > command is received, the device automatically enters the Standby mode.
>
> What I said in different words.

Nope.

> > > Doesnt need to be, supported by the bridge capability, actually.
>
> > If that's a sentence.
>
> Pathetic, really.

Yes, it is.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2005 3:00:41 PM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Which will not be ATA compliant:

>> Wrong, as always.

> We'll see.

We've seen.

>>> 6.11.2 Standby timer

>>> The Standby timer provides a method for the device to
>>> automatically enter Standby mode from either Active or
>>> Idle mode *following a host programmed period of inactivity*.

>> That just means that the host can specify the period of inactivity.

> Must specify.

Nope, it doesnt have to be set at all.

>> That doesnt need to be the host its being used with when it idles.

> Irrelevant.

Nope. Doesnt matter if the USB/IDE bridge
can do that, you can set it some other way.

>>> If the Standby timer is enabled and if the device is in the Active
>>> or Idle mode, the device waits for the specified time period and if
>>> no command is received, the device automatically enters the Standby
>>> mode.

>> What I said in different words.

> Nope.

Yep.

>>> If that's a sentence.

>> Pathetic, really.

> Yes, it is.

Pathetic, really.

When I want some advice for a pathetic little pseudokraut
on what is a viable sentance english, I'll ring a bell.

In the mean time....

August 31, 2006 6:12:55 PM

sorry for such a late reply. I am looking for the same (I own two NSLU2).

Actually, there are many ways to do this, many of them very complicated, because as explained, the Linksys already knows how to send drives to sleep, but the commands are not supported by the SCSI bridge. So some in the community have provided kernel patches for the NSLU2... By far the simplest sollution is to buy an integrated spin-down solution. I have managed to do it once, using a Western Digital Essential MyBook 250GB. But the result was unsatisfactory (the drive does not support the later 2.6 linux kernel, and therefore openslug aswell)

I am absolutely gagging for information from manufacturers and Tom's hardware on which drives provide spin-down out of the box. No one seems to know...

Maxtor Onetouch 200GB is said to work too, though it seems to be excessively noisy and expensive, and rumours of a seagate one too (but I am still looking for it)

if you only plan to use the NSLU2 with the standard unslung 6.x installation, then I can recommend the WD MyBook.

kind regards,

- Niel Drummond
!