DEFAULT MPEG CODEC CORRUPT!

The default mpeg codec on my Windows XP SP 2 machine was randomly corrupted.
I could not pin-point the date. I tried several system restores. I tried
re-downloading the codec package. All other videos play fine. The mpegs
crash my machine, regardless of the player (except QT which uses it's own
mpeg codec). Please help! (Tech-school student here, so please do not dumb
it down)
2 answers Last reply
More about default mpeg codec corrupt

    Reinstall DirectX.

    --
    Chris Lanier - http://www.msmvps.com/chrisl/
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "Alfred" <Alfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The default mpeg codec on my Windows XP SP 2 machine was randomly
    > corrupted.
    > I could not pin-point the date. I tried several system restores. I tried
    > re-downloading the codec package. All other videos play fine. The mpegs
    > crash my machine, regardless of the player (except QT which uses it's own
    > mpeg codec). Please help! (Tech-school student here, so please do not
    > dumb
    > it down)

    There's no reinstall option. The installer just sees that it's already
    install on my computer and stops. Any way to uninstall DirectX so I can
    reinstall it?

    "Chris Lanier [MVP]" wrote:

    > Reinstall DirectX.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Lanier - http://www.msmvps.com/chrisl/
    > Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    > ----
    > "Alfred" <Alfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The default mpeg codec on my Windows XP SP 2 machine was randomly
    > > corrupted.
    > > I could not pin-point the date. I tried several system restores. I tried
    > > re-downloading the codec package. All other videos play fine. The mpegs
    > > crash my machine, regardless of the player (except QT which uses it's own
    > > mpeg codec). Please help! (Tech-school student here, so please do not
    > > dumb
    > > it down)

Video Default MPEG Codec Windows XP