Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard drive Problem/Data Recovery

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2005 3:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello

I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
while it makes a clicking noise,
The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb (pictures and
documents) are really important .
The shop that I bought it from can refund it or exchange it
alternatively I can return it back to Hitachi and get a replacement one
..
"But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
(I don't know how legal is that and I question it)
The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data for me and I
cannot pay more than £100 for it.
The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/ will
charge me about £250 to recover the data.
One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can change
it...
I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..or any
shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to try to fix
it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot .
Please reply to this forum or e-mail me at panos100m@gmail.com

Thanks Peter
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2005 7:58:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <1122922661.838970.162270@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Panos100m@gmail.com writes

>"But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
>(I don't know how legal is that and I question it)

It's perfectly legal. The data on the disk is your responsibility, not
that of the disk maker or the shop you bought it from.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2005 11:36:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Panos100m@gmail.com wrote

> I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE)
> which is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's
> house stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and
> even though that at the start spins normally and makes the
> normal sound after a while it makes a clicking noise,

> The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb
> (pictures and documents) are really important .

Then you should have had that backed up.

> The shop that I bought it from can refund
> it or exchange it alternatively I can return it
> back to Hitachi and get a replacement one .
> "But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
> (I don't know how legal is that and I question it)

Completely legal.

> The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data
> for me and I cannot pay more than £100 for it.

Then you should have backed up that data.

> The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/
> will charge me about £250 to recover the data.

> One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
> chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can change it...

Doesnt usually work with a drive of that type.

> I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
> Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..
> or any shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to
> try to fix it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot.

You could try putting it in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer
and then see if you can see the drive when its taken out of the freezer.
If you can, get the data that matters off as quickly as possible.
!