Sony Capture Speed Incorrect

When using Movie Maker 2.1 to capture digital video from my Sony Digital
Handicam 730, I am trying to capture and work as DV-AVI so I can have the
best quality and burn DVD's.
When using this setting (DV-AVI), the video is captured at 2-3 times the
correct speed.
When I capture at the "High Quality Video" setting, the video captures
about 10% too slowly.
I find that capturing works properly when I use Adobe Premiere 6.0, but I
prefer Movie Maker since it's so much easier to work with.
I am running Windows XP SP2 on a 2.8 mhz PC with 1GB of RAM and over 30GB
or empty, unfragmented disk space on a second drive that I'm using as a work
disk. I am capturing through the built-in firewire (IE-1394?) port.
Does this behavior point to CODECs? I've reinstalled DirectX v.9c and
Media Player 10. It seems to be Microsoft-specific since capture works fine
in Premiere. What else can I try?

- How can I get Movie Maker to capture at the proper speed using the DV-AVI
or High Quality Video setting?
- Why would these two formats capture differently?

Thank you!
2 answers Last reply
More about sony capture speed incorrect

    It could well be a conflict of codecs, look at www.papajohn.org adn see the
    problem solving > acceleration and codecs page

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Clint Marshall" <clintm@gwi.net> wrote in message
    > When using Movie Maker 2.1 to capture digital video from my Sony Digital
    > Handicam 730, I am trying to capture and work as DV-AVI so I can have the
    > best quality and burn DVD's.
    > When using this setting (DV-AVI), the video is captured at 2-3 times the
    > correct speed.
    > When I capture at the "High Quality Video" setting, the video captures
    > about 10% too slowly.
    > I find that capturing works properly when I use Adobe Premiere 6.0, but
    > prefer Movie Maker since it's so much easier to work with.
    > I am running Windows XP SP2 on a 2.8 mhz PC with 1GB of RAM and over
    30GB
    > or empty, unfragmented disk space on a second drive that I'm using as a
    work
    > disk. I am capturing through the built-in firewire (IE-1394?) port.
    > Does this behavior point to CODECs? I've reinstalled DirectX v.9c and
    > Media Player 10. It seems to be Microsoft-specific since capture works
    fine
    > in Premiere. What else can I try?
    >
    > - How can I get Movie Maker to capture at the proper speed using the
    DV-AVI
    > or High Quality Video setting?
    > - Why would these two formats capture differently?
    >
    > Thank you!

    Did this ever get resolved? When I playback a movie downloaded to a laptop
    PC, the talk is like the chipmunk song and the people move like a 45 record
    played at 78 rpm. I am also using a Sony digital 8 video cam. Thank you for
    suggestions.

    Litethecandle

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > It could well be a conflict of codecs, look at www.papajohn.org adn see the
    > problem solving > acceleration and codecs page
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Clint Marshall" <clintm@gwi.net> wrote in message
    > > When using Movie Maker 2.1 to capture digital video from my Sony Digital
    > > Handicam 730, I am trying to capture and work as DV-AVI so I can have the
    > > best quality and burn DVD's.
    > > When using this setting (DV-AVI), the video is captured at 2-3 times the
    > > correct speed.
    > > When I capture at the "High Quality Video" setting, the video captures
    > > about 10% too slowly.
    > > I find that capturing works properly when I use Adobe Premiere 6.0, but
    > > prefer Movie Maker since it's so much easier to work with.
    > > I am running Windows XP SP2 on a 2.8 mhz PC with 1GB of RAM and over
    > 30GB
    > > or empty, unfragmented disk space on a second drive that I'm using as a
    > work
    > > disk. I am capturing through the built-in firewire (IE-1394?) port.
    > > Does this behavior point to CODECs? I've reinstalled DirectX v.9c and
    > > Media Player 10. It seems to be Microsoft-specific since capture works
    > fine
    > > in Premiere. What else can I try?
    > >
    > > - How can I get Movie Maker to capture at the proper speed using the
    > DV-AVI
    > > or High Quality Video setting?
    > > - Why would these two formats capture differently?
    > >
    > > Thank you!

Video Movie Maker Windows XP