HD seems OK, but impossible to boot with two partitions ov..

After having come across with some good utilities (diskpatch one of
them) and a good experience of a recovered HD I put under scrutiny
another HD: 160GB formatted only 130GB with FAT32: 20 Primary (from a
clone old HD); 110 Logical.
Diskpatch detects 6 partitions! The first 3 are relevant. The third is
the logical and seems ok. The other two are showed as primary both of
20 GB, both starting from the beginning of the hard disk and ending at
43038134 and 43038126 respectively. The first gives me Partition Table
found at 0, but BootSector and BackupBootsector not found (DiskPatch
says recovability "fair"). The second drive does not found the
Partition Table entry, but it finds the boot sectors (DP recovability
says "good").

I cannot resolve what is the right partition to pick up. Shall I
attempt to keep and fix the first or the second of these overlapping
partitions? (BTW, files in the 20Gb partition show correctly up to
know).

Thanks for your help
5 answers Last reply
More about impossible boot partitions

    I think I am asking general questions (well if someone from
    dyidiskrecovery.nl helps even better) , such as:
    if you have a Primary partition with Partition Table ok, and not boot
    sector and another partition that overlaps and it has the opposite.
    Which one do you think is showing when I use normally the HD as a
    slave. And more substantially, can I copy what is missing from one
    partition to another? and if yes, which one is preferable to make
    complete with partition table entry and boot sector, whileI
    disregarding/erasing the other?
    Thanks for your valuable time.

    Why are you asking here?

    <science2003@libero.it> wrote in message news:1122966935.241362.7570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    > I think I am asking general questions

    No, you're not. You are asking a very specific DiskPatch question.
    You have been told where the DiskPatch forum is. It isn't here.

    > (well if someone from dyidiskrecovery.nl helps even better) ,

    Which will ask you to go to their forum.

    > such as:
    > if you have a Primary partition with Partition Table ok, and not boot
    > sector and another partition that overlaps and it has the opposite.

    According to DiskPatch which no one else but the author is familiar with.

    > Which one do you think is showing when I use normally the HD as a
    > slave.

    Ask the author. He has told you where to find him.

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > <science2003@libero.it> wrote in message
    > > I think I am asking general questions
    >
    > No, you're not. You are asking a very specific DiskPatch question.
    > You have been told where the DiskPatch forum is. It isn't here.
    >
    > > (well if someone from dyidiskrecovery.nl helps even better) ,
    >
    > Which will ask you to go to their forum.

    Indeed. And a logfile. And you explain from the beginning in the forum.

    > > such as:
    > > if you have a Primary partition with Partition Table ok, and not boot
    > > sector and another partition that overlaps and it has the opposite.

    Huh? Logfile please. Read
    http://www.diydatarecovery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

    >> (BTW, files in the 20Gb partition show correctly up to
    know).

    If you can access files, copy them to another physical disk, as I can not
    make out from your posts if you have overlapping partitions. DiskPatch will
    not allow overlapping partitions to be recovered.

    -
    Joep

    > Why are you asking here?

    Because he is using a cracked copy of DiskPatch.

    --
    Joep

    D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
    http://www.diydatarecovery.com

    > <science2003@libero.it> wrote in message
    > > After having come across with some good utilities (diskpatch one of
    > > them) and a good experience of a recovered HD I put under scrutiny
    > > another HD: 160GB formatted only 130GB with FAT32: 20 Primary (from a
    > > clone old HD); 110 Logical.
    > > Diskpatch detects 6 partitions! The first 3 are relevant. The third is
    > > the logical and seems ok. The other two are showed as primary both of
    > > 20 GB, both starting from the beginning of the hard disk and ending at
    > > 43038134 and 43038126 respectively. The first gives me Partition Table
    > > found at 0, but BootSector and BackupBootsector not found (DiskPatch
    > > says recovability "fair"). The second drive does not found the
    > > Partition Table entry, but it finds the boot sectors (DP recovability
    > > says "good").
    > >
    > > I cannot resolve what is the right partition to pick up. Shall I
    > > attempt to keep and fix the first or the second of these overlapping
    > > partitions? (BTW, files in the 20Gb partition show correctly up to
    > > know).
    > >

    > > Thanks for your help

Partition HD Storage