is this drive going bad? evaluate HD tune results

another post of mine on usenet pointed to a drive being the
problematic compenent in a system I was troubleshooting
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.laptops/browse_thread/thread/962ededf41b91a62/fefbade397f42242?lnk=st&q=hupjack&rnum=5&hl=en#fefbade397f42242

sure enough.. swapping out the drive solved the problem.

now I'm helping a friend out with a dell xps b733r and it feels like
his drive is introducing a lot of latency as well.. lots of excessive
clicking instead of quick application launch..

so what's the deal with HD's as they die? I won't necessarily see
"bad sectors"? I ran HD tune, and results are linked to below... I'm
just not to sure quite how to interpret them.. what should I key into
from the results that might indicate that the drive is problematic?

http://infohdtune.notlong.com
http://healthhdtune.notlong.com
http://benchmarkhdtune.notlong.com

thanks for any insight you can offer.
1 answer Last reply
More about drive evaluate tune results

    Ethan Lipman <ethan.lipman@gmail.com> wrote

    > another post of mine on usenet pointed to a drive being the
    > problematic compenent in a system I was troubleshooting
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.laptops/browse_thread/thread/962ededf41b91a62/fefbade397f42242?lnk=st&q=hupjack&rnum=5&hl=en#fefbade397f42242

    > sure enough.. swapping out the drive solved the problem.

    > now I'm helping a friend out with a dell xps b733r and it
    > feels like his drive is introducing a lot of latency as well..
    > lots of excessive clicking instead of quick application launch..

    The clicking is the drive recalibrating on the seek errors.

    > so what's the deal with HD's as they die?

    That sort of problem is one way they die.

    > I won't necessarily see "bad sectors"?

    Yeah, from the SMART data the problem is the seek errors.

    That can be a cracked flexible connector to the
    heads, a mechanical problem with the heads
    which stops it flying reliably over the surface,
    or something loose in the head assembly etc.

    > I ran HD tune, and results are linked to below...
    > I'm just not to sure quite how to interpret them..
    > what should I key into from the results that
    > might indicate that the drive is problematic?

    > http://infohdtune.notlong.com

    That doesnt indicate too much, tho the downward spikes are
    likely seek errors. You can see those with a good drive tho.

    > http://healthhdtune.notlong.com

    This one shows a high level of seek errors.

    > http://benchmarkhdtune.notlong.com

    Nothing unusual there.

    > thanks for any insight you can offer.

    Try running Seagate's diagnostic on the drive.

HD Storage