Snapshot AA/CF ??

So my wife crunched our snapshot camera. An older Kodak camera that
took pretty nice pictures.

We also have a Fuji S2 Pro.

So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
D-cameras that use these these days? And is there any decent source
that would help me search on this as a feature.
18 answers Last reply
More about snapshot

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>So my wife crunched our snapshot camera. An older Kodak camera that took
    >>pretty nice pictures.
    >>
    >>We also have a Fuji S2 Pro.
    >>
    >>So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
    >>D-cameras that use these these days? And is there any decent source that
    >>would help me search on this as a feature.
    >

    > http://www.dpreview.com/

    Been there, done that... Unfortunately they do not appear to have a
    search on batteries function...

    Thanks Justin,

    That's too much for a snapshot camera. For snapshot, I need something
    that is relatively small, that would fit into a pocket on a parka
    Doesn't have to be too small, but generally one that looks like a pack
    of cards when turned off, as opposed to a 35mm camera.

    > Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    > > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>So my wife crunched our snapshot camera. An older Kodak camera that
    took
    > >>pretty nice pictures.
    > >>
    > >>We also have a Fuji S2 Pro.
    > >>
    > >>So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
    > >>D-cameras that use these these days? And is there any decent source
    that
    > >>would help me search on this as a feature.
    > >

    > > http://www.dpreview.com/
    > >

    > Been there, done that... Unfortunately they do not appear to have a
    > search on batteries function...

    So, choose a camera that you like and see what the specifications say about
    power and memory card on that model.

    A lot of digital cameras use 4 AA size batteries these days. There is a very
    good chance the whatever camera you choose, will use AA size batteries.

    Most digital cameras will not work very long with the standard alkaline AA
    batteries. The recommended battery type is rechargeable NiMh (Nickel Metal
    Hydride).

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1 wrote:

    > So, choose a camera that you like and see what the specifications say about
    > power and memory card on that model.
    >
    > A lot of digital cameras use 4 AA size batteries these days. There is a very
    > good chance the whatever camera you choose, will use AA size batteries.

    I would agree if this were 2003. In the snapshot camera range (an
    in-pocket camera), many of the 2003 models were AA, and many were CF,
    they are either not for sale anymore or largely discontinued. Many if
    not most have either changed memore to a smaller form factor XD or SD,
    or into a smaller battery form factor (most use custom LI batteries and
    have charging stands etc...)

    I really have looked for cameras that are AA and CF and are snapshot
    type cameras. Used to be common, now they are very difficult to find.
    This is why I am asking. I tried the camera I like approach and kept
    coming up dry. So now I am trying from the other direction.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    For a small pocket camera you probably won't find a CF card. CF is an old
    format and, although pretty popular and standard, it usually is only
    associated with larger style cameras. The SD memory would be the most
    popular for mini cameras and is cheaper than CF in many places now.

    Another issue in small cameras is the AA cells. They are just too big,
    don't carry enough charge, and have contact problems constantly. LioN
    batteries wil be charged months after you charge them and ready to go when
    you pick up the camera. Nicads will be dead a week after you charge tham and
    you always have to plan ahead to charge them or they are no good. After
    letting them discharge a few times in the camera they won't take a charge
    properly. The ends get oxidized and the connections get bad and your flash
    won't charge quickly, if at all.

    > Thanks Justin,
    >
    > That's too much for a snapshot camera. For snapshot, I need something
    > that is relatively small, that would fit into a pocket on a parka
    > Doesn't have to be too small, but generally one that looks like a pack
    > of cards when turned off, as opposed to a 35mm camera.
    >
    > Justín Käse wrote:
    > > In Message-ID:<416eac9a$0$20521$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net> posted on
    > > Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:53:48 -0700, fortknight wrote:
    > >

    > >>So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
    > >>D-cameras that use these these days?
    > >

    > > http://tinyurl.com/6slud
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    There are reasons for all those to be hard to find.

    Pentax 555 has a flash range of 17.5', unlike any other mini digital on the
    market.

    > CSM1 wrote:
    > >

    > > So, choose a camera that you like and see what the specifications say
    about
    > > power and memory card on that model.
    > >
    > > A lot of digital cameras use 4 AA size batteries these days. There is a
    very
    > > good chance the whatever camera you choose, will use AA size batteries.
    > >

    > I would agree if this were 2003. In the snapshot camera range (an
    > in-pocket camera), many of the 2003 models were AA, and many were CF,
    > they are either not for sale anymore or largely discontinued. Many if
    > not most have either changed memore to a smaller form factor XD or SD,
    > or into a smaller battery form factor (most use custom LI batteries and
    > have charging stands etc...)
    >
    > I really have looked for cameras that are AA and CF and are snapshot
    > type cameras. Used to be common, now they are very difficult to find.
    > This is why I am asking. I tried the camera I like approach and kept
    > coming up dry. So now I am trying from the other direction.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I understand that the best possible camera in this class either in
    performance or price, or both, come with these requirements. I am more
    then willing to compromise here rather than have yet another charger
    come with me, and yet another methodology to deal with "film"

    Gymmy Bob wrote:
    > There are reasons for all those to be hard to find.
    >
    > Pentax 555 has a flash range of 17.5', unlike any other mini digital on the
    > market.
    >
    > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>CSM1 wrote:
    >>

    >>>So, choose a camera that you like and see what the specifications say
    >
    > about
    >
    >>>power and memory card on that model.
    >>>
    >>>A lot of digital cameras use 4 AA size batteries these days. There is a
    >
    > very
    >
    >>>good chance the whatever camera you choose, will use AA size batteries.
    >>>

    >>I would agree if this were 2003. In the snapshot camera range (an
    >>in-pocket camera), many of the 2003 models were AA, and many were CF,
    >>they are either not for sale anymore or largely discontinued. Many if
    >>not most have either changed memore to a smaller form factor XD or SD,
    >>or into a smaller battery form factor (most use custom LI batteries and
    >>have charging stands etc...)
    >>
    >>I really have looked for cameras that are AA and CF and are snapshot
    >>type cameras. Used to be common, now they are very difficult to find.
    >>This is why I am asking. I tried the camera I like approach and kept
    >>coming up dry. So now I am trying from the other direction.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Second point first, I have had no problem with NiMH double A batteries.
    As a matter of fact I am trying to get as many things in my house
    converted to AA if possible, because the batteries work very well, and I
    have a good habit of keeping them charged.

    First point second. I have already invested alot in not only CF memory
    but also CF infrastructure. How I carry around "Film", manage cards,
    transfer to computer mindset, etc... My "real" camera is a fuji s2Pro
    (It is a very nice camera...). But just like many of my photog friends,
    we take alot of snapshots too, and breaking out the SLR just doesn't say
    "fun".

    So, yes, my requirements are tough. And I know why. But they are still
    *my* requirements, and so I am out here asking if anyone knows if there
    are any cameras that I can go buy new. It's too bad the kodak got
    crunched, because it worked just about perfectly for my needs.

    Gymmy Bob wrote:
    > For a small pocket camera you probably won't find a CF card. CF is an old
    > format and, although pretty popular and standard, it usually is only
    > associated with larger style cameras. The SD memory would be the most
    > popular for mini cameras and is cheaper than CF in many places now.
    >
    > Another issue in small cameras is the AA cells. They are just too big,
    > don't carry enough charge, and have contact problems constantly. LioN
    > batteries wil be charged months after you charge them and ready to go when
    > you pick up the camera. Nicads will be dead a week after you charge tham and
    > you always have to plan ahead to charge them or they are no good. After
    > letting them discharge a few times in the camera they won't take a charge
    > properly. The ends get oxidized and the connections get bad and your flash
    > won't charge quickly, if at all.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The closest thing would probably be the Canon Powershot A series. The A75
    is 3.2 megapixel and the A85 is 4.0 Megapixel.

    --

    "The human adventure is just beginning"

    "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
    > For a small pocket camera you probably won't find a CF card. CF is an old
    > format and, although pretty popular and standard, it usually is only
    > associated with larger style cameras. The SD memory would be the most
    > popular for mini cameras and is cheaper than CF in many places now.
    >
    > Another issue in small cameras is the AA cells. They are just too big,
    > don't carry enough charge, and have contact problems constantly. LioN
    > batteries wil be charged months after you charge them and ready to go when
    > you pick up the camera. Nicads will be dead a week after you charge tham
    and
    > you always have to plan ahead to charge them or they are no good. After
    > letting them discharge a few times in the camera they won't take a charge
    > properly. The ends get oxidized and the connections get bad and your flash
    > won't charge quickly, if at all.
    >

    > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Justin,
    > >
    > > That's too much for a snapshot camera. For snapshot, I need something
    > > that is relatively small, that would fit into a pocket on a parka
    > > Doesn't have to be too small, but generally one that looks like a pack
    > > of cards when turned off, as opposed to a 35mm camera.
    > >
    > > Justín Käse wrote:
    > > > In Message-ID:<416eac9a$0$20521$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net> posted
    on

    > > > http://tinyurl.com/6slud

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Bruce wrote:
    > The closest thing would probably be the Canon Powershot A series. The A75
    > is 3.2 megapixel and the A85 is 4.0 Megapixel.

    Apparantly the A95 as well.

    The only issue that I have with this is that the negative feedback on
    Amazon is the kind of stuff I get irritated by with other cameras. We
    had very little if any shutter lag with the kodak, but I have noted it
    with other digital snapshot cameras I have played with.

    So, indeed this may turn out to be *the* camera, does anyone know of any
    others?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > So my wife crunched our snapshot camera. An older Kodak camera that
    > took pretty nice pictures.
    >
    > We also have a Fuji S2 Pro.
    >
    > So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
    > D-cameras that use these these days? And is there any decent source
    > that would help me search on this as a feature.

    Canon A75 runs on 4 AA's amd accepts CF type 1 cards.
    Also takes great images.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In article <416ec0ae$0$20522$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, fortknight
    <nobody@home.com> wrote:

    > Been there, done that... Unfortunately they do not appear to have a
    > search on batteries function...

    This page does:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
    enjoy,
    NB
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > Marvin Margoshes wrote:
    >> "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>So my wife crunched our snapshot camera. An older Kodak camera that took
    >>>pretty nice pictures.
    >>>
    >>>We also have a Fuji S2 Pro.
    >>>
    >>>So we had standardized on AA Batteries and CF. Are there any snapshot
    >>>D-cameras that use these these days? And is there any decent source
    >>>that would help me search on this as a feature.
    >>

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/
    > Been there, done that... Unfortunately they do not appear to have a
    > search on batteries function...

    Some of the Olympus cameras that can be used as point-and-shoot use
    alkalines or NiMH batteries. The D-535 may be a good choice for you. It
    has fetaures beyond p&s, but they can be just ignored.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Thanks man... But it is an xd card camera not CF...

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:

    > Some of the Olympus cameras that can be used as point-and-shoot use
    > alkalines or NiMH batteries. The D-535 may be a good choice for you. It
    > has fetaures beyond p&s, but they can be just ignored.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    hvh? I have a Pentax 550, 5x optical zoom, with two Lion batteries. I
    charged them both and took thgem with me last svmmer. I drove arovnd Lake
    Hvron completely over the period of two weeks, took over 400 pictvres, here
    and there and only had to pvt the second battery in the last day on the way
    home.

    On the other hand, my wife has a fvfi 2mp with 3x optical, vses 2 AA cells
    (Nicad or NiMh only). She propbably took 75 pictvre and had to charge her
    batteries abovt 6 times. If the batterries were ovt of the charger more than
    a few days they are almost dead. The sets are maybe two years old. Alkaline
    work somewhat bvt not recommended as the voltage falls so badly when the
    flash charges it may damage the circvitry inside. Two fvlly charge AA cells
    may get her 100 pictvres or more bvt here comes the clincher, an hovr and a
    half of vsage, whichever comes first. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it off.
    Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it off. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it
    off.

    Forget the AA batteries. I charged my camera a month ago after it's last vse
    and I can still pick it vp and go to a wedding and shoot the whole night
    withovt charge. Try that with Nickle anything or bvy shares in Union
    Carbide.

    > I vnderstand that the best possible camera in this class either in
    > performance or price, or both, come with these reqvirements. I am more
    > then willing to compromise here rather than have yet another charger
    > come with me, and yet another methodology to deal with "film"
    >
    > Gymmy Bob wrote:
    > > There are reasons for all those to be hard to find.
    > >
    > > Pentax 555 has a flash range of 17.5', vnlike any other mini digital on
    the
    > > market.
    > >
    > > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

    > > abovt

    > > very

    > >>I wovld agree if this were 2003. In the snapshot camera range (an
    > >>in-pocket camera), many of the 2003 models were AA, and many were CF,
    > >>they are either not for sale anymore or largely discontinved. Many if
    > >>not most have either changed memore to a smaller form factor XD or SD,
    > >>or into a smaller battery form factor (most vse cvstom LI batteries and
    > >>have charging stands etc...)
    > >>
    > >>I really have looked for cameras that are AA and CF and are snapshot
    > >>type cameras. Used to be common, now they are very difficvlt to find.
    > >>This is why I am asking. I tried the camera I like approach and kept
    > >>coming vp dry. So now I am trying from the other direction.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Somehow I missed a "not" in my previovs post. I am aware that the best
    camera may *not* come with these featvres. From what I have read the
    550 and 555 are darned good cameras. Bvt these featvres are very
    important to me.

    See the problem is, I have a system already for dealing with batteries
    and CF cards and Card readers, and cf card carrying cases, a single
    charger I take with me, a battery case etc...

    My Fvji S2 Pro, vses the same batteries and CF cards, so I only want to
    have one system when I am on vacation. Often I don't want to break ovt
    an SLR and the weight and bvlkiness of the camera and accessories,
    sometimes I jvst want a snapshot camera.

    Up vntil this year, I wovld have had abovt 15 cameras to choose from
    that had this basic reqvirement. Now proprietary batteries and charging
    systems, and memory other than CF have replaced this is most shapshot
    type cameras.

    This year it looks like there is only really one. The Canon A95. I
    think the camera makers are not serving a percentage of the market,
    which is the prosvmer/photographer market that is going to be looking to
    replace their snapshot camera. Which I svspect I am on the leading edge of.

    Gymmy Bob wrote:
    > hvh? I have a Pentax 550, 5x optical zoom, with two Lion batteries. I
    > charged them both and took thgem with me last svmmer. I drove arovnd Lake
    > Hvron completely over the period of two weeks, took over 400 pictvres, here
    > and there and only had to pvt the second battery in the last day on the way
    > home.
    >
    > On the other hand, my wife has a fvfi 2mp with 3x optical, vses 2 AA cells
    > (Nicad or NiMh only). She propbably took 75 pictvre and had to charge her
    > batteries abovt 6 times. If the batterries were ovt of the charger more than
    > a few days they are almost dead. The sets are maybe two years old. Alkaline
    > work somewhat bvt not recommended as the voltage falls so badly when the
    > flash charges it may damage the circvitry inside. Two fvlly charge AA cells
    > may get her 100 pictvres or more bvt here comes the clincher, an hovr and a
    > half of vsage, whichever comes first. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it off.
    > Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it off. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it
    > off.
    >
    > Forget the AA batteries. I charged my camera a month ago after it's last vse
    > and I can still pick it vp and go to a wedding and shoot the whole night
    > withovt charge. Try that with Nickle anything or bvy shares in Union
    > Carbide.
    >
    > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I vnderstand that the best possible camera in this class either in
    >>performance or price, or both, come with these reqvirements. I am more
    >>then willing to compromise here rather than have yet another charger
    >>come with me, and yet another methodology to deal with "film"
    >>
    >>Gymmy Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are reasons for all those to be hard to find.
    >>>
    >>>Pentax 555 has a flash range of 17.5', vnlike any other mini digital on
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>market.
    >>>
    >>>"fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

    >>>abovt

    >>>very

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I went from two fvjifilm cameras with AA baterries, tons of rechargables,
    chargers and Smart Media cards. I have learned the hard way many times not
    to svpport the old technology, it's too expensive and yov will find
    yovrself, with tears in yovr eyes, throwing it away later.

    Canon has always had good reports here. Althovgh I have never owned one I
    have seen them, operated a few and can see their menvs and hvman interface
    is well done like the Pantax vnits. I owned a Kyocera 5mp for a few months
    and sold it, lvckily, for a $300 loss. It was disgvsting in every way
    imaginable. From a shopper's view it looked wonderfvl and had everything on
    paper. I went back to my 1mp Fvji in disgvst.

    Best of lvck with yovr decision.

> [...]
    and a
    > > half of vsage, whichever comes first. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it
    off.
    > > Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it off. Tvrn it on, flash, flash, tvrn it
    > > off.
    > >
    > > Forget the AA batteries. I charged my camera a month ago after it's last
    vse
    > > and I can still pick it vp and go to a wedding and shoot the whole night
    > > withovt charge. Try that with Nickle anything or bvy shares in Union
    > > Carbide.
    > >
    > > "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I vnderstand that the best possible camera in this class either in
    > >>performance or price, or both, come with these reqvirements. I am more
    > >>then willing to compromise here rather than have yet another charger
    > >>come with me, and yet another methodology to deal with "film"

Cameras Kodak Peripherals