TV Recorded in Media PC Won't Play in WMP

I can record and play a movie from HBO using my PC Media Center. Up until
the about the last month, I could also watch these movies using the WMP or
could convert these movies to MPEG using Showbiz and burn to DVD to watch on
a TV.

More recently, when I record a movie from HBO, it will still record and play
on the PC Media Center (file in DVR-MS format), BUT when I try to open the
movie in WMP or Showbiz, it won't play. In WMP, I get the message..."You are
not allowed to open this file. Contact the content provider for further
assistance." I am guessing that the cable company has done something, but
when I call, they say that nothing's changed. I find it strange that these
movies will still open and play in the PC Media Center. Also, I am not
having this problem with any other programs/stations except HBO.
Finally, I installed SP2 about a month ago on that PC. Don't suppose that
might be causing any of the problems?
Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about recorded media play

    It's called Digital Rights Management and yes, the Cable company has enabled
    a 'tag' on the broadcast because HBO told them to. You can watch this file
    only on the PC on which it was recorded and cannot edit it in anyway. It's
    HBO protecting then own copyright.
    www.coribright.com

    "LCF" <LCF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can record and play a movie from HBO using my PC Media Center. Up until
    > the about the last month, I could also watch these movies using the WMP or
    > could convert these movies to MPEG using Showbiz and burn to DVD to watch
    > on
    > a TV.
    >
    > More recently, when I record a movie from HBO, it will still record and
    > play
    > on the PC Media Center (file in DVR-MS format), BUT when I try to open the
    > movie in WMP or Showbiz, it won't play. In WMP, I get the message..."You
    > are
    > not allowed to open this file. Contact the content provider for further
    > assistance." I am guessing that the cable company has done something, but
    > when I call, they say that nothing's changed. I find it strange that
    > these
    > movies will still open and play in the PC Media Center. Also, I am not
    > having this problem with any other programs/stations except HBO.
    > Finally, I installed SP2 about a month ago on that PC. Don't suppose that
    > might be causing any of the problems?
    > Any ideas?

    You may find that the cable provider will start no record encoding virtually
    all programming.
    Naturally, at the same time, they will have an offer to upgrade you cable
    box to make such recordings for a monthly fee. ( A hard drive is added to
    the new cable box)
    > It's called Digital Rights Management and yes, the Cable company has
    > enabled a 'tag' on the broadcast because HBO told them to. You can watch
    > this file only on the PC on which it was recorded and cannot edit it in
    > anyway. It's HBO protecting then own copyright.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "LCF" <LCF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I can record and play a movie from HBO using my PC Media Center. Up until
    >> the about the last month, I could also watch these movies using the WMP
    >> or
    >> could convert these movies to MPEG using Showbiz and burn to DVD to watch
    >> on
    >> a TV.
    >>
    >> More recently, when I record a movie from HBO, it will still record and
    >> play
    >> on the PC Media Center (file in DVR-MS format), BUT when I try to open
    >> the
    >> movie in WMP or Showbiz, it won't play. In WMP, I get the message..."You
    >> are
    >> not allowed to open this file. Contact the content provider for further
    >> assistance." I am guessing that the cable company has done something,
    >> but
    >> when I call, they say that nothing's changed. I find it strange that
    >> these
    >> movies will still open and play in the PC Media Center. Also, I am not
    >> having this problem with any other programs/stations except HBO.
    >> Finally, I installed SP2 about a month ago on that PC. Don't suppose
    >> that
    >> might be causing any of the problems?
    >> Any ideas?

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Video Movies Media Center Windows XP