Puzzling HD stats

I have two HDs, a Maxtor 60g SATA and WD 80g IDE, with the Maxtor as
the C: (boot) drive and the WD as D:. When I view the properties of
the HDs the Maxtor 60g shows a capacity of 80g (74.5g) and the WD 61g
(57.2g). Has my puter gotten confused?

Thanks.
SG
--
"Customer support isn't there to help customers, it's to protect
management from customers." -- ex-Amazon.com customer service employee

Rod Speed wrote:
> shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
>
> > I have two HDs, a Maxtor 60g SATA and WD 80g IDE, with the
> > Maxtor as the C: (boot) drive and the WD as D:. When I view
> > the properties of the HDs the Maxtor 60g shows a capacity of
> > 80g (74.5g) and the WD 61g (57.2g). Has my puter gotten confused?
>
> The most obvious possibility is that its been you that is confused all
> along and that they arent the way you say they are in the first sentence.

Assuming you're not making a joke, no. I've checked several times,
including looking at the file structure on each to make sure I'm on the
right HD. Also, in one diagnostic program (I've downloaded and tried
several over the last few days, so I don't know which one, atm) it
correctly listed the HD capacities. This seems to indicate it's a
Windows' problem.

SG

"shegeek72" <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > What do you use to view these properties?
>
> My Computer --> Right-click on HD --> Properties
>
> For you doubting Thomas's, here are screen shots showing the
> discrepancies:
> http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/hdprops.htm

The Hardware tab has never shown anything useful (using My Computer).

You have to use Disk Management and choose properties from Disk 0/1.

Rod Speed wrote:

> Then most likely you are just getting confused
> about which is the boot drive and which isnt.

> Its MUCH more likely to be your problem.

> No 'discrepancy' whatever, like I said, you're the one confused,

Thanks for being so nice about.

SG

Previously shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote:
d> I have two HDs, a Maxtor 60g SATA and WD 80g IDE, with the Maxtor as
> the C: (boot) drive and the WD as D:. When I view the properties of
> the HDs the Maxtor 60g shows a capacity of 80g (74.5g) and the WD 61g
> (57.2g). Has my puter gotten confused?

What do you use to view these properties?

Arno

shegeek72 wrote:

> Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > What do you use to view these properties?
>
> My Computer --> Right-click on HD --> Properties
>
> For you doubting Thomas's, here are screen shots showing the
> discrepancies:
> http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/hdprops.htm
>
> SG

What your screenshots are showing do not necessarily indicate anything
other than that drive D is 61GB and drive C is 80GB.

They do not indicate which channels the drives are on.

You need to go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer
management -> disk management.

This will show you what you have.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote

> I have two HDs, a Maxtor 60g SATA and WD 80g IDE, with the
> Maxtor as the C: (boot) drive and the WD as D:. When I view
> the properties of the HDs the Maxtor 60g shows a capacity of
> 80g (74.5g) and the WD 61g (57.2g). Has my puter gotten confused?

The most obvious possibility is that its been you that is confused all
along and that they arent the way you say they are in the first sentence.

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote

>>> I have two HDs, a Maxtor 60g SATA and WD 80g IDE, with the
>>> Maxtor as the C: (boot) drive and the WD as D:. When I view
>>> the properties of the HDs the Maxtor 60g shows a capacity of
>>> 80g (74.5g) and the WD 61g (57.2g). Has my puter gotten confused?

>> The most obvious possibility is that its been you that is confused all
>> along and that they arent the way you say they are in the first sentence.

> Assuming you're not making a joke,

Corse I'm not.

> no.

We'll see...

> I've checked several times, including looking at the file
> structure on each to make sure I'm on the right HD.

Separate issue entirely to what letter it has.

> Also, in one diagnostic program (I've downloaded and
> tried several over the last few days, so I don't know
> which one, atm) it correctly listed the HD capacities.

Then most likely you are just getting confused
about which is the boot drive and which isnt.

> This seems to indicate it's a Windows' problem.

Its MUCH more likely to be your problem.

Which version of Win are you using ?

If its XP, see what it shows in Disk Management for the drives.

Rod Speed wrote:

> No thanks for your silly stunt when you refused to
> believe that it was you that was confused all along.

It was no such thing. I may not have your knowledge and stand
corrected. However, when someone comes to me with a question about
something I know more about I certainly don't insult them, as you did.

SG

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Arno Wagner wrote

>> What do you use to view these properties?

> My Computer --> Right-click on HD --> Properties

> For you doubting Thomas's, here are screen shots showing the discrepancies:
> http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/hdprops.htm

No 'discrepancy' whatever, like I said, you're the one confused,
its always booted from the D drive, not the C drive you claimed.

That screen shot doesnt say what the boot drive is, you
need to check that in Disk Management or the boot.ini
or by looking at the contents of the drives in Explorer.

Rod Speed wrote:
> shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote
>
> >> No thanks for your silly stunt when you refused to
> >> believe that it was you that was confused all along.
>
> > It was no such thing.
>
> Corse it was. You initially about your computer getting
> confused, when it was pointed out that it was you that was
> confused, you tried that silly line about 'doubting thomases' and
> just made an even more spectacular fool of yourself yet again.
>
> > I may not have your knowledge
>
> No may not about it.
>
> > and stand corrected. However, when someone comes to me with a question
> > about something I know more about I certainly don't insult them, as you did.
>
> You're lying now. I JUST said that it was you that was confused, not your
> computer.
>
> You get to like that or lump it.

I guess every newsgroup has to have an obnoxious, condescending
know-it-all...

SG

"shegeek72" <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote in message news:1123204725.357350.152360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > What do you use to view these properties?
>
> My Computer --> Right-click on HD --> Properties
>
> For you doubting Thomas's, here are screen shots showing the
> discrepancies:
> http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/hdprops.htm
>
> SG

Let me guess, there are 5 devices in that hardware tab display
and the display is correct for only one 1 drive letter.
Let me guess again, it is the drive letter that corresponds with
the first device in the row for that display.
For most people this would give them a clue about what that hard-
ware tab is about (ie nothing whatsoever to do with the drive letter).

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> No thanks for your silly stunt when you refused to
>> believe that it was you that was confused all along.

> It was no such thing.

Corse it was. You initially about your computer getting
confused, when it was pointed out that it was you that was
confused, you tried that silly line about 'doubting thomases' and
just made an even more spectacular fool of yourself yet again.

> I may not have your knowledge

No may not about it.

> and stand corrected. However, when someone comes to me with a question
> about something I know more about I certainly don't insult them, as you did.

You're lying now. I JUST said that it was you that was confused, not your
computer.

You get to like that or lump it.

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> It was no such thing.

>> Corse it was. Your initial claim about your computer getting
>> confused, when it was pointed out that it was you that was
>> confused, you tried that silly line about 'doubting thomases' and
>> just made an even more spectacular fool of yourself yet again.

>>> I may not have your knowledge

>> No may not about it.

>>> and stand corrected. However, when someone comes
>>> to me with a question about something I know more
>>> about I certainly don't insult them, as you did.

>> You're lying now. I JUST said that it was
>> you that was confused, not your computer.

>> You get to like that or lump it.

> I guess every newsgroup has to have an
> obnoxious, condescending know-it-all...

Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?

Hypocrite.

Rod Speed wrote:

> > I guess every newsgroup has to have an
> > obnoxious, condescending know-it-all...
>
> Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?

Just calling a spade a spade. Everyone else was nice -- you were the
only one who was insulting.

SG

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

> Let me guess, there are 5 devices in that hardware tab display
> and the display is correct for only one 1 drive letter.
> Let me guess again, it is the drive letter that corresponds with
> the first device in the row for that display.
> For most people this would give them a clue about what that hard-
> ware tab is about (ie nothing whatsoever to do with the drive letter).

What I didn't understand was D: drive was the boot. When I reinstalled
win XP I thought the boot drive was C:. Also, when I clicked on the
hardware tab in D: drive properties the Maxtor drive was highlighted
even though it was a Western Digital.

SG

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I guess every newsgroup has to have an
>>> obnoxious, condescending know-it-all...

>> Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?

> Just calling a spade a spade. Everyone else was
> nice -- you were the only one who was insulting.

Caught lying, again, hypocrite.

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Folkert Rienstra wrote

>> Let me guess, there are 5 devices in that hardware tab
>> display and the display is correct for only one 1 drive letter.

>> Let me guess again, it is the drive letter that corresponds
>> with the first device in the row for that display.

>> For most people this would give them a clue about what that hard-
>> ware tab is about (ie nothing whatsoever to do with the drive letter).

> What I didn't understand was D: drive was the boot.
> When I reinstalled win XP I thought the boot drive was C:.

That's the way XP does it if you dont reinstall on the partition
it was previously installed and format that partition.

> Also, when I clicked on the hardware tab in D: drive properties the
> Maxtor drive was highlighted even though it was a Western Digital.

You should have noticed that the Maxtor was highlighted regardless
of which letter drive you selected the drive propertys tab of.

shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I guess every newsgroup has to have an
>>> obnoxious, condescending know-it-all...

>> Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?

> Just calling a spade a spade.

So did I, calling a confused a confused in fact.

Ron Speed wrote:

>shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote

>>> Corse it was. Your initial claim about your computer getting
>>> confused, when it was pointed out that it was you that was
>>> confused, you tried that silly line about 'doubting thomases' and
>>> just made an even more spectacular fool of yourself yet again.

>>> No may not about it.

>>> You're lying now. I JUST said that it was
>>> you that was confused, not your computer.
>
>>> You get to like that or lump it.
>
>> I guess every newsgroup has to have an
>> obnoxious, condescending know-it-all...
>
>Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?
>
>Hypocrite.

Idiot. It's not hypocrisy to say something like he did, after you've
slammed him multiple times. You're a liar, Ron.

Ron Speed wrote:

>shegeek72 <sweepster@ev1.net> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Corse that aint anything like an attempt at an insult eh ?
>
>> Just calling a spade a spade. Everyone else was
>> nice -- you were the only one who was insulting.
>
>Caught lying, again,

Yes, you were, Ron.

>hypocrite.

You forgot the delimiter before your sig, Ronnie.