DV and "Microsoft Video Connection"

I have a Dell Inspirion 8500 and a Zenith XBR413 DVD/VHS recorder.
The recorder has a DV-in port for use with a DV camera. I am
interested in connecting it to my laptop, via the 1394 port
(obviously), and am having difficulties to say the least.

During one session I saw a local connection created called a
"Microsoft Video Connection". Since I was/am new to the DV area I
deleted that connection as I was not getting things to work. I cannot
seem to recreate the steps I took to get that connection created.
Since the system created it I suspect it is required for this
operation.

My laptop senses the connection and the recorder sees a device that is
an "uncontrollable device". This is not an error according to the
recorder manual but simply stating that it cannot control the device.

I tried a program called WinDV but I cannot get the recorder to start
recording as it sees no signal.

Is there any software that might emulate a camera so to allow the
recorder to act as if one is connected?

Is there a way to create the " Microsoft Video Connection" for the
1394 port?

Am I flogging a deceased equine?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly
3 answers Last reply
More about microsoft video connection

    Go into device manager (control panel>system>hardware) and check the
    firewire port in there, if neccesary unistall the drivers and reinstall with
    a reboot of the laptop.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Inspirion 8500 and a Zenith XBR413 DVD/VHS recorder.
    > The recorder has a DV-in port for use with a DV camera. I am
    > interested in connecting it to my laptop, via the 1394 port
    > (obviously), and am having difficulties to say the least.
    >
    > During one session I saw a local connection created called a
    > "Microsoft Video Connection". Since I was/am new to the DV area I
    > deleted that connection as I was not getting things to work. I cannot
    > seem to recreate the steps I took to get that connection created.
    > Since the system created it I suspect it is required for this
    > operation.
    >
    > My laptop senses the connection and the recorder sees a device that is
    > an "uncontrollable device". This is not an error according to the
    > recorder manual but simply stating that it cannot control the device.
    >
    > I tried a program called WinDV but I cannot get the recorder to start
    > recording as it sees no signal.
    >
    > Is there any software that might emulate a camera so to allow the
    > recorder to act as if one is connected?
    >
    > Is there a way to create the " Microsoft Video Connection" for the
    > 1394 port?
    >
    > Am I flogging a deceased equine?
    >
    > Any help or pointers appreciated.
    >

    > Kirk
    >
    > "Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:35:41 -0000, "Graham Hughes"
    <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:

    >Go into device manager (control panel>system>hardware) and check the
    >firewire port in there, if neccesary unistall the drivers and reinstall with
    >a reboot of the laptop.

    To clarify...

    I uninstall the driver, which appears to be working, and then reboot.

    Upon reboot the system will install the driver?

    Kirk

    "Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

    Correct.
    www.coribright.com

    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:35:41 -0000, "Graham Hughes"
    > <graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Go into device manager (control panel>system>hardware) and check the
    >>firewire port in there, if neccesary unistall the drivers and reinstall
    >>with
    >>a reboot of the laptop.
    >

    > To clarify...
    >
    > I uninstall the driver, which appears to be working, and then reboot.
    >
    > Upon reboot the system will install the driver?
    >

    > Kirk
    >
    > "Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Video Connection Microsoft Windows XP