Western Digital External Hard Drive Failures

I have several WD external hard drives (160 & 200 GB). One after
another, they have "died" in recent months. What is the most economical
way to recover the data on these drives?
4 answers Last reply
More about western digital external hard drive failures

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:42:00 GMT, Matt Andrea <mattandrea@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >I have several WD external hard drives (160 & 200 GB). One after
    >another, they have "died" in recent months. What is the most economical
    >way to recover the data on these drives?

    Regular backups on DVD burner is probably the cheapest data
    protection. If you never backed them up, you could be looking at 4 or
    5 figure price tag for data recovery.

    External hard drive may be OK for short term backup but it should
    never be used for long term backup, they can fail easily especially
    with cheap enclosure and no fan.

    > I have several WD external hard drives (160 & 200 GB). One after
    > another, they have "died" in recent months. What is the most economical
    > way to recover the data on these drives?

    Restore from the backup. If you don't have any, hand over "dead" disks to
    your good friend (who knows a lot about computers) and ask him for help.

    Also, try as often as possible to spread your data around in case of
    disaster.

    For example, I have a great purchased (legal collection) of MP3's from
    emusic.com. I have a large folder just for them on my "data" drive and I
    also have another duplicate folder on another external firewire drive. I
    have "financial" Quickbooks data in my XP system drive and a duplicate
    of that on another IDEE drive which I use primarily for video editing.

    By making sure you always have at least 2 copies of a folder, housed in
    different physical drives (not partitions in the same drive) you reduce
    the risk of losing data if your drives goes down.

    It's a bit of a pain, but doing this has saved my ass dozens of times.
    Just a workflow thing you get used to, once you do it for awhile.

    Previously Matt Andrea <mattandrea@verizon.net> wrote:
    > I have several WD external hard drives (160 & 200 GB). One after
    > another, they have "died" in recent months. What is the most economical
    > way to recover the data on these drives?

    Depends on what "died" means. For a first diagnosis you could
    remove them from their enclosures and check whether a computer
    recognises them when they are directly connected.

    If so, try to get the smart values form the drives. That should
    give some insignts into what exactly the problem is.

    If the drives are not recognised, I would say the most economic
    way is professional data recovery. Any other way is very likely
    to fail snd/or make subsequent professional recovery more
    expensive.

    Arno

Hardware Western Digital Storage External Hard Drive