Microsoft Skips 3, Releases Security Essentials 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I started using MSE a few weeks ago and I love it, it does a great job with few system resources. It works amazingly in old PCs.
Offtopic: How many times has that image been reused?

G

I'm interested to see how MSE is going to use less memory. It already uses so little. Is it going to come over to my house and install some more ram in my system?

andyross63

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I've been using MSE for over a year now, after the included McAfee updated itself and then later self-destructed.

The only issue I have is that it can freeze the computer for 30-60 seconds during a background definition update.

G

MSE was the first anti-virus software I can tolerate using. Almost entirely unobtrusive and even when running a full scan it does not lock up even my old Athlon x2 2gb ram htpc. It seems like such a huge leap forward compared to Norton and all those other ones with their random game killing pop ups and hard drive strangling scans.

I hope MS puts those bastards out of the consumer business!

G

MSE is a great program, i recommended it more than anything else, for people who don't want to spend money on anything and even those who do!

randomizer

Champion
I guess if people notice that they are seemingly 2 versions behind they might be more inclined to update. People complain about Firefox and Chrome versioning - at least they haven't started skipping versions yet :lol:

Hopefully the automatic removal can be disabled. I don't want any application deleting files without my knowledge and/or permission.

I don't like the idea of it automatically removing infected files, I will certainly turn this feature off if possible or change my anti virus program. One thing that I would like to see changed though is if you cancel a scan half way through the all results are lost, it should allow you to see the results found so far rather than making you do another scan.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Just installed MSE public beta 4.0.1111.0. Good to see they have brought back the bluish interface. Works great as always. Msseces.exe & MsMpEng.exe are using 5.5MB & 42MB RAM right now.

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]manu 11[/nom]one of the few av programs that uses too little system resources and performs great.Recommend everyone to use mse[/citation]

[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]avast all the way macrocrap bizznatchos!![/citation]

Sorry but the only thing Avast had that was usefull was its boottime scane which could only be done in 32bit Windows. Since 7 is becoming more dominant and 64bit is the most dominant, thanks to very cheap RAM prices, that part of it is useless.

I have been using MSE since its first beta and I have yet to get a virus. Then again I repair PCs for a living and know what to avoid. But I have had quite a few using Avast that have viruses get past it. Not so many with MSE.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
MSE is a great program, and I use it on all my machines (2 win7 64-bit ones - AMD E350 and Intel i5 750, and an XP Pentium 4 one). However, what's with the lack of version 3?

ledxizor

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]Sadly though, I have problem with MsMpEng.exe, using too much CPU usage even when not scanning.[/citation]

I had that problem on a pc at work. Turns out that pc had windows defender (Microsoft's old antimalware software) still installed at the same time as MSE. Windows defender is no longer needed once you install MSE. I uninstalled windows defender and the MsMpEng.exe process used much less resources. Hope this helps.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]When I reformat my laptop I might ditch ESET and give this a try. I'm just worried about the lack of a firewall.[/citation]

It works with the Windows firewall, which is much better in 7 by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.