Partitions have disappeared! Can they be recovered?

Hi

Just had my concerned sounding brother on the phone...

His XP Pro system kept crashing and rebooting. It would get to the desktop
and then restart.

He described what he saw was a red circle with a white cross in the system
tray - pc may have been in safe mode by then - anyone know what that icon
might be?

Anyway...

He thought he'd restore the partition from a recent PQ drive image backup -
which was stored on another partition on the same drive (uh oh... I hear you
say).

He rebooted using the PQ drive image boot discs and got "partition not
recognised" and a single yellow bar along the top! ie just the primary
drive with no extended partition /logical drives. I cant recall what a
yellow coloured partition represents.

So assuming the data is still there somewhere are there any utilities which
can recover the partitions?

My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather together
enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

I think the drive is a WD1200JB or WD2500JB.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Ian

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:14:26 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
<sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather together
>enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

You can download Findpart for DOS at

http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

do from boot to a DOS floppy:

findpart all fp.txt

and mail me the file fp.txt.
--
Svend Olaf

"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" <svolaf@partitionsupport.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:14:26 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
> <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>>My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather
>>together
>>enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.
>
> You can download Findpart for DOS at
>
> http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm
>
> do from boot to a DOS floppy:
>
> findpart all fp.txt
>
> and mail me the file fp.txt.
> --
> Svend Olaf

Hi Svend

I really appreciate your offer to help however I'm very pleased (and
relieved) to report that I have managed to fix it.

I'm now a BIG fan of Partition Table Doctor which saved the day. Very
impressed with it.

Once I had created a PTD boot disc it recognised the error right away, asked
if I wanted to correct it I said yes - restarted the machine and hey presto
all back to normal. The best $49 we've spent in ages!!!!

Prior to using PTD I downloaded the trial version of Acronis Disk Director
Suite 9.0 - again I created a boot disc and ran it. DDS seemed to think
that my brothers PC had dynamic disc drives set up which it didnt support.
Thats as far as we got with that!!!

So a big cheer for PTD!!

Thanks again

Regards

Ian

Dear Mr./Mrs,

Thank you very much. We are glad to see that Partition Table
Doctor can help you. It's honor to us too.

To tell your friends who have the same problem the good news.
We thank you very much. And your friends will thank you, too.
_________________
http://www.ptdd.com

GE

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

On 8/24/05 19:35:28, Folkert Rienstra wrote:

>> Of course, it still may be a commercial trick. But who's telling me you are
>> serious? :) -- Just take it for what it is.
>
> So, how many positive reviews can you find about PTDD *before* this
> apparent SUCCES story?
> And how many more to offset all the negative ones?

I don't know how many I could find if I were looking for them. But I also
would assume that any product can have one success -- and that's exactly
what this could have been. Not more, not less.

What's your problem?

Gerhard

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ge" <gefiedler@globo.com> wrote in message
> On 8/24/05 19:35:28, Folkert Rienstra wrote:
>
> >> Of course, it still may be a commercial trick. But who's telling me you
are
> >> serious? :) -- Just take it for what it is.
> >
> > So, how many positive reviews can you find about PTDD *before* this
> > apparent SUCCES story?
> > And how many more to offset all the negative ones?
>
> I don't know how many I could find if I were looking for them. But I also
> would assume that any product can have one success -- and that's exactly
> what this could have been. Not more, not less.
>
> What's your problem?
>
> Gerhard

He's a frusto