Digital zoom

Hi Guys & Gals
I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the camera
takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this normal , or
does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am useing ?
This is all new to me.
Thanks a bunch.
Carl G
3 answers Last reply
More about digital zoom

    Optical zoom is actually done with your zoom lens. Digital zoom is like in
    camera cropping. So with digital zoom, there is a loss in resolution that
    accounts for the loss of quality. Better to forget about the digiital zoom
    in most cases, in my humble opinion.

    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys & Gals
    > I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
    > digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
    > I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the
    > camera takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this
    > normal , or does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am
    > useing ?
    > This is all new to me.
    > Thanks a bunch.
    > Carl G

    Thanks for the come back guys, thats kinda what i noticed,it didn't do much
    for my movies.
    Thanks again

    --
    Carl G
    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys & Gals
    > I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
    > digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
    > I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the
    > camera takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this
    > normal , or does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am
    > useing ?
    > This is all new to me.
    > Thanks a bunch.
    > Carl G

    Yes Digital Zoom is a gimmick to impress non-technical people. You dont see
    it mentioned for professional cameras for example Canon mentions 5.7 digital
    zoom as a feature for SD10 but not for the professional camera EOS20D :-)

    Powershot SD10
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=9478&sa=true

    EOS 20D
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10464

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for Windows Movie Maker

    "Burgy" <burgy@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Optical zoom is actually done with your zoom lens. Digital zoom is like in
    > camera cropping. So with digital zoom, there is a loss in resolution that
    > accounts for the loss of quality. Better to forget about the digiital zoom
    > in most cases, in my humble opinion.
    >

    > "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys & Gals
    >> I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
    >> digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
    >> I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the
    >> camera takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this
    >> normal , or does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i
    >> am useing ?
    >> This is all new to me.
    >> Thanks a bunch.
    >> Carl G