Hi Guys & Gals
I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the camera
takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this normal , or
does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am useing ?
This is all new to me.
Thanks a bunch.
Carl G

Optical zoom is actually done with your zoom lens. Digital zoom is like in
camera cropping. So with digital zoom, there is a loss in resolution that
accounts for the loss of quality. Better to forget about the digiital zoom
in most cases, in my humble opinion.

"Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi Guys & Gals
> I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
> digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
> I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the
> camera takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this
> normal , or does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am
> useing ?
> This is all new to me.
> Thanks a bunch.
> Carl G

Thanks for the come back guys, thats kinda what i noticed,it didn't do much
for my movies.
Thanks again

--
Carl G
"Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi Guys & Gals
> I have a Canon ZR90 camcorder, it has 22X optical zoom and 3 settings for
> digital zoom , Off ,88X and 440X.
> I have only had the cam for a couple weeks now. I t appears that the
> camera takes better movies with the digital zoom turned off , is this
> normal , or does that have something to do with how much optical zoom i am
> useing ?
> This is all new to me.
> Thanks a bunch.
> Carl G

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

Yes Digital Zoom is a gimmick to impress non-technical people. You dont see
it mentioned for professional cameras for example Canon mentions 5.7 digital
zoom as a feature for SD10 but not for the professional camera EOS20D :)

Powershot SD10
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=9478&sa=true

EOS 20D
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=10464