Deskstar 60GXP firmware update

I need to do the update to A45A firmware and i downloaded the program
but it wants to make floppies to boot with and update the firmware.

1 problem. no floppy drive.

also, im afraid to open up my computer and install a floppy drive
becasue every time i muck around in this computer, the deskstar drive
is incorrectly recognized by the bios, istead of seeing it as the
drive, it sees it as a garbled string of symbols. then i end up
playing with it for several hours unplugging and plugging the thing
back in until somehow it finally recognizes it.

does anyone know of a way to make a bootable cd to update this
firmware?

thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about deskstar 60gxp firmware update

    yeah, i tried that. no dice.

    tried diffent power jacks as well.

    moving around the jumpers doesnt seem to work either

    it seems to be random.. so it leads me to think that my drive is on the
    edge of failure and its just squirrelly

    i was under the impression that the firmware was specifically put out
    there becase the deskstar 75GXP and 60GXP drives had such a high
    failure rate hence the "DeathStar" moniker.

    http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=DeathStar

    and yes it could definitely be a cracked trace... though i would think
    that that would give me problems beyond just having the bios not
    recognize the drive intermittently.

    regardless, if anyone has a solution to how to update the firmware
    without a floppy drive, that would be great. i know im not the only
    person without a floppy on their machine.. i have access to a computer
    with a floppy and a burner if there is a way to make the floppies on
    another computer and then use that computer to makea bootable cd from
    them...

    yes, but the firmware update is 2 disks. i couldn't figure out how to
    do two disks onto one cd and it does not seem to let me swap cds like
    swapping floppies.

    neoplasticity <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote

    > I need to do the update to A45A firmware and i downloaded the program
    > but it wants to make floppies to boot with and update the firmware.

    > 1 problem. no floppy drive.

    > also, im afraid to open up my computer and install a floppy drive
    > becasue every time i muck around in this computer, the deskstar
    > drive is incorrectly recognized by the bios, istead of seeing it as
    > the drive, it sees it as a garbled string of symbols. then i end up
    > playing with it for several hours unplugging and plugging the thing
    > back in until somehow it finally recognizes it.

    Most likely a bad ribbon cable, try another.

    > does anyone know of a way to make
    > a bootable cd to update this firmware?

    neoplasticity <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote

    > yeah, i tried that. no dice.

    Then its likely a cracked trace or a dry joint.

    > tried diffent power jacks as well.

    > moving around the jumpers doesnt seem to work either

    > it seems to be random..

    It doesnt appear to be random if it
    happens when you get into the case.

    > so it leads me to think that my drive is on
    > the edge of failure and its just squirrelly

    If it is, updating the firmware wont help.

    neoplasticity <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote

    > i was under the impression that the firmware was specifically
    > put out there becase the deskstar 75GXP and 60GXP drives
    > had such a high failure rate hence the "DeathStar" moniker.
    > http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=DeathStar

    Its a myth that the firmware fixes the problem they had.

    > and yes it could definitely be a cracked trace... though
    > i would think that that would give me problems beyond
    > just having the bios not recognize the drive intermittently.

    Not necessarily if the farting around you have to do to get
    it seen again just closes up the gap and it stays fine until
    its physically disturbed again with you inside the case again.

    I got that with a Fujitsu and it turned out to be a cracked
    solder joint on the power connector. It would run fine for
    a long time and it was only unplugging the power and
    inserting it again that was enough to cause it to play up
    again. In that case you could hear the drive spin down
    and spin up again as the power connector was flexed.

    > regardless, if anyone has a solution to how to update the
    > firmware without a floppy drive, that would be great. i know
    > im not the only person without a floppy on their machine..
    > i have access to a computer with a floppy and a burner if
    > there is a way to make the floppies on another computer and
    > then use that computer to make a bootable cd from them...

    OK, then try doing it with nero with the floppy you produce on that machine.

    Its pretty obvious in nero how to make a bootable CD from a bootable floppy.

    neoplasticity <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote

    > yes, but the firmware update is 2 disks. i couldn't
    > figure out how to do two disks onto one cd and it does
    > not seem to let me swap cds like swapping floppies.

    The creation of bootable CDs allows for that, basically allows
    for the bootable CD to be bigger than what fits on a single floppy.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3llgrmF131rnjU1@individual.net
    > neoplasticity <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote
    >
    > > yes, but the firmware update is 2 disks. i couldn't
    > > figure out how to do two disks onto one cd and it does
    > > not seem to let me swap cds like swapping floppies.
    >
    > The creation of bootable CDs allows for that, basically allows
    > for the bootable CD to be bigger than what fits on a single floppy.

    Not in Floppy emulation.
    But floppy emulation can support 2.88MB so 2 current floppies data
    worth can fit. How to do that without a 2.88 drive is another matter.

    On 6 Aug 2005 20:38:39 -0700, "neoplasticity"
    <neoplasticity@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >yes, but the firmware update is 2 disks. i couldn't figure out how to
    >do two disks onto one cd and it does not seem to let me swap cds like
    >swapping floppies.
    Consider buying or loaning a USB External floppy drive?

Floppy Disk Firmware Deskstar Storage