The monitor will go blank all of a sudden

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.

The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden while I'm in the
middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to get the display back.
However, if I leave it this way for an indefinite while, the screen may
resume normal display again. There's nothing I can do myself to gain the
display back apart from rebooting.

So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?

Herbert
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor blank sudden
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I would check the video board to see if it is plugged in all the way. I
    would check the cable between the board and the monitor. I would also
    substitute a different monitor, or connect the present monitor to another PC
    to see if it is the monitor.

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.
    >
    > The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden while I'm in
    > the
    > middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to get the display back.
    > However, if I leave it this way for an indefinite while, the screen may
    > resume normal display again. There's nothing I can do myself to gain the
    > display back apart from rebooting.
    >
    > So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?
    >
    > Herbert

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Update your video card driver. See this site for help on how to update video
    card. http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/drivers.html
    Also update directX if necessary, see the same page on how to upgrade direct
    X. Also see the "screen goes blank" section on that page.

    Ashok S.

    "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.
    >
    > The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden while I'm in
    the
    > middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to get the display back.
    > However, if I leave it this way for an indefinite while, the screen may
    > resume normal display again. There's nothing I can do myself to gain the
    > display back apart from rebooting.
    >
    > So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?
    >
    > Herbert

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Ashok S. wrote:
    > Update your video card driver. See this site for help on how to
    > update video card. http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/drivers.html
    > Also update directX if necessary, see the same page on how to upgrade
    > direct X. Also see the "screen goes blank" section on that page.
    >
    > Ashok S.

    As this is a hardware, not a software, issue, how on earth will updating the
    driver help?!

    on salads.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    >Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    >on salads.

    Computer Sniglets:

    Compucuss - the "colorful metaphors" said at your 'puter keyboard
    after you realize you just did something you
    didn't want to do.

    Micro-inch - the amount of extra length you need on your keyboard cord
    to comfortable sit somewhere else besides right in front
    of the monitor.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "?" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    > Ashok S. wrote:
    >> Update your video card driver. See this site for help on how to
    >> update video card. http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/drivers.html
    >> Also update directX if necessary, see the same page on how to upgrade
    >> direct X. Also see the "screen goes blank" section on that page.
    >>
    >> Ashok S.
    >
    > As this is a hardware, not a software, issue, how on earth will updating
    > the driver help?!
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Kelly wrote:
    >> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    >> on salads.
    >
    > Computer Sniglets:
    >
    > Compucuss - the "colorful metaphors" said at your 'puter keyboard
    > after you realize you just did something you
    > didn't want to do.
    >
    > Micro-inch - the amount of extra length you need on your keyboard cord
    > to comfortable sit somewhere else besides right in
    > front of the monitor.
    >

    > "?" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    >> Ashok S. wrote:
    >>> Update your video card driver. See this site for help on how to
    >>> update video card. http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/drivers.html
    >>> Also update directX if necessary, see the same page on how to
    >>> upgrade direct X. Also see the "screen goes blank" section on that
    >>> page. Ashok S.
    >>
    >> As this is a hardware, not a software, issue, how on earth will
    >> updating the driver help?!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    >> on salads.

    catastrophe - the only keyboard command known to your pet.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:25:03 +0800, "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.
    >
    >The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden while I'm in the
    >middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to get the display back.
    >However, if I leave it this way for an indefinite while, the screen may
    >resume normal display again. There's nothing I can do myself to gain the
    >display back apart from rebooting.
    >
    >So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?
    >
    >Herbert

    Make sure the cable from the monitor to the video card is tight and
    seated properly. (no bent pins). Next, check your video card in the
    machine by reseating it. (remove it and reseat it). It's possible
    your video card may be failing or the monitor itself may be
    intermittent, although that's unlikely.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Will using a very high resolution be a problem? I've been using 1280x
    something before with Win98se without problems. This problem seems to
    happen after the upgrade to XP.

    Herbert

    "CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:kl7iq0peco3jtmb8gcfak3876rtuoiudd2@4ax.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:25:03 +0800, "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.
    > >
    > >The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden while I'm in
    the
    > >middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to get the display back.
    > >However, if I leave it this way for an indefinite while, the screen may
    > >resume normal display again. There's nothing I can do myself to gain the
    > >display back apart from rebooting.
    > >
    > >So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?
    > >
    > >Herbert
    >
    > Make sure the cable from the monitor to the video card is tight and
    > seated properly. (no bent pins). Next, check your video card in the
    > machine by reseating it. (remove it and reseat it). It's possible
    > your video card may be failing or the monitor itself may be
    > intermittent, although that's unlikely.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    In news:eg1RZPf1EHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Herbert Chan <herbert@chan.com> typed:

    > Will using a very high resolution be a problem? I've been
    > using 1280x
    > something before with Win98se without problems. This problem
    > seems to
    > happen after the upgrade to XP.

    No, 1280x1024 is not a very high resolution, and it's fairly
    common for those using 19" monitors. It's what I use on my 19"
    monitor here.

    As long as your monitor and video card support it, it's not a
    problem to XP.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
    > news:kl7iq0peco3jtmb8gcfak3876rtuoiudd2@4ax.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    >> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:25:03 +0800, "Herbert Chan"
    >> <Herbert@Chan.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hello,
    >> >
    >> >I have a Philips monitor and a windowsxp system.
    >> >
    >> >The monitor from time to time will go blank all of a sudden
    >> >while
    >> >I'm in the middle of doing something. Nothing can be done to
    >> >get
    >> >the display back. However, if I leave it this way for an
    >> >indefinite
    >> >while, the screen may resume normal display again. There's
    >> >nothing
    >> >I can do myself to gain the display back apart from
    >> >rebooting.
    >> >
    >> >So what's wrong with my pc? What can I do?
    >> >
    >> >Herbert
    >>
    >> Make sure the cable from the monitor to the video card is
    >> tight and
    >> seated properly. (no bent pins). Next, check your video card
    >> in the
    >> machine by reseating it. (remove it and reseat it). It's
    >> possible
    >> your video card may be failing or the monitor itself may be
    >> intermittent, although that's unlikely.

Video Monitors Microsoft Windows XP Displays