Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No sound on DVD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 25, 2004 8:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I get sound playing CD's but not when playing DVD's though pic is fine - Have
followed truobleshooter thread over & over to no avail. Re-installed Realtek
AC97 & everything shows as A.O.K but still no sound! Seem to have prog called
Realtek Sound Manager which when activated brings up a muti-media player -
interestingly no sound when playing CD's on this.

Common you guys over the pond - stop eating Turkey & help out a Brit whose
pulling his hair out!

More about : sound dvd

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:26:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

You need to check to see if the dvd drive is set to digital playback because
it is probably trying to find your on board AC97 - 5.1 digital output. With
a music CD it doesn't have to be connected digitially because it uses analog
for stereo playback but most DVD's - if a movie - are set to playback in
digital. Open 'My Computer', right click on your DVD drive, select
properties, select hardware, highlight your DVD drive, click on properties,
then properties again, check- Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
device.

Hopes this helps

"martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:765EA47A-1B1A-46AD-8A37-F34B74AF1B70@microsoft.com...
>I get sound playing CD's but not when playing DVD's though pic is fine -
>Have
> followed truobleshooter thread over & over to no avail. Re-installed
> Realtek
> AC97 & everything shows as A.O.K but still no sound! Seem to have prog
> called
> Realtek Sound Manager which when activated brings up a muti-media player -
> interestingly no sound when playing CD's on this.
>
> Common you guys over the pond - stop eating Turkey & help out a Brit whose
> pulling his hair out!
November 28, 2004 3:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Thanks T.B. One drive was enabled for Digital, the other wasn't. Made the
necessary changes but still no sound! Have double checked all obvious causes
but not found the answer.

When I purchased the pc it came with some trial software for media play-back
'Realtek'. Seem to remember this palyed with sound, but now 14 day trial
long gone - no sound. Have tried to un-install Realtek latent software but
blocks total deletion. Could this be affecting ability of ojher players to
perform?

Any ideas?
"Touch Base" wrote:

> You need to check to see if the dvd drive is set to digital playback because
> it is probably trying to find your on board AC97 - 5.1 digital output. With
> a music CD it doesn't have to be connected digitially because it uses analog
> for stereo playback but most DVD's - if a movie - are set to playback in
> digital. Open 'My Computer', right click on your DVD drive, select
> properties, select hardware, highlight your DVD drive, click on properties,
> then properties again, check- Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
> device.
>
> Hopes this helps
>
> "martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:765EA47A-1B1A-46AD-8A37-F34B74AF1B70@microsoft.com...
> >I get sound playing CD's but not when playing DVD's though pic is fine -
> >Have
> > followed truobleshooter thread over & over to no avail. Re-installed
> > Realtek
> > AC97 & everything shows as A.O.K but still no sound! Seem to have prog
> > called
> > Realtek Sound Manager which when activated brings up a muti-media player -
> > interestingly no sound when playing CD's on this.
> >
> > Common you guys over the pond - stop eating Turkey & help out a Brit whose
> > pulling his hair out!
>
>
>
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:49:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

If you still have the trial software I would reinstall and then uninstall.
Do not just delete the folder under 'programs' for instance as you then
cause broken links with other areas of the computer where files for the
program are stored and when you then go to use 'Add/Remove' it can't find
them because you probably deleted it's uninstall program.

"martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C4DF294B-6066-468E-87BA-04C5C8318C1D@microsoft.com...
> Thanks T.B. One drive was enabled for Digital, the other wasn't. Made the
> necessary changes but still no sound! Have double checked all obvious
> causes
> but not found the answer.
>
> When I purchased the pc it came with some trial software for media
> play-back
> 'Realtek'. Seem to remember this palyed with sound, but now 14 day trial
> long gone - no sound. Have tried to un-install Realtek latent software but
> blocks total deletion. Could this be affecting ability of ojher players to
> perform?
>
> Any ideas?
> "Touch Base" wrote:
>
>> You need to check to see if the dvd drive is set to digital playback
>> because
>> it is probably trying to find your on board AC97 - 5.1 digital output.
>> With
>> a music CD it doesn't have to be connected digitially because it uses
>> analog
>> for stereo playback but most DVD's - if a movie - are set to playback in
>> digital. Open 'My Computer', right click on your DVD drive, select
>> properties, select hardware, highlight your DVD drive, click on
>> properties,
>> then properties again, check- Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
>> device.
>>
>> Hopes this helps
>>
>> "martin" <martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:765EA47A-1B1A-46AD-8A37-F34B74AF1B70@microsoft.com...
>> >I get sound playing CD's but not when playing DVD's though pic is fine -
>> >Have
>> > followed truobleshooter thread over & over to no avail. Re-installed
>> > Realtek
>> > AC97 & everything shows as A.O.K but still no sound! Seem to have prog
>> > called
>> > Realtek Sound Manager which when activated brings up a muti-media
>> > player -
>> > interestingly no sound when playing CD's on this.
>> >
>> > Common you guys over the pond - stop eating Turkey & help out a Brit
>> > whose
>> > pulling his hair out!
>>
>>
>>
!