One-to-many drive copy using SATA?

Hi,

Using SATA drives is there a way to copy/mirror one drive to many
drives simultaneously?

I'd like to have a SATA card with 8 connectors and be able to use it to
duplicate 7 drives from a master.

Cheers!

-Peter
The WiderNet Project
7 answers Last reply
More about many drive copy sata

    "WiderNetTech" <techsupport@widernet.org> wrote in message news:1123610965.508290.114260@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Using SATA drives is there a way to copy/mirror one drive to many
    > drives simultaneously?
    >
    > I'd like to have a SATA card with 8 connectors and be able to use it to
    > duplicate 7 drives from a master.

    If you can find the special ute that will do this, then that shouldn't be a problem.

    Previously WiderNetTech <techsupport@widernet.org> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Using SATA drives is there a way to copy/mirror one drive to many
    > drives simultaneously?

    > I'd like to have a SATA card with 8 connectors and be able to use it to
    > duplicate 7 drives from a master.

    One way I see is doing a 8-way RAID1, first with all but the master
    drive as "failed" then reactivate the other drives. Whether this is
    fast is another question.

    You can also write a C programm that reads the master drive raw in
    blocks and writes simultaneously to the slave drives. Simple to
    program, at least under any Unix, but speed is again uncertain.

    What is your application? What are your speed requirements?

    Arno

    On UNIX, if the drives are named sda-sdh, you use
    cd /dev; tee <sda sdb ... sdh >null

    I tried the unxutils version for Windows, but it did not work correctly.
    tee <imagefile //./physicaldrive1 ... >nul

    "WiderNetTech" <techsupport@widernet.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Using SATA drives is there a way to copy/mirror one drive to many
    > drives simultaneously?
    >
    > I'd like to have a SATA card with 8 connectors and be able to use it to
    > duplicate 7 drives from a master.

    I work for a non-profit project at The University of Iowa and we want
    an inexpensive way to duplicate 250GB and larger hard drives containing
    content collected from the Internet in an off-line browsable and
    searchable format. These drives are then used in schools, clinics and
    universities in areas of the world where Internet access is extremely
    limited or non-existant.

    When I copy one drive to using SATA, I can copy 173GB in about 3 hours
    and 45 minutes (+/-900MB per minute). When our collection was smaller
    and we used IDE drives we would use a second-hand drive duplicator and
    we could duplicate drives at 450MB per minute. We have even tried using
    RAID1 arrays to duplicate drives, but the RAID tables persist and cause
    problems later on which result in corruption of the data.

    If we were able to copy drives at a rate of 1GB per minute, that would
    be great.

    I will suggest to one of our student programmers the idea of writing a
    program to copy raw blocks from one device to several devices and see
    what we they can do.

    Thanks for your suggestions and interest. I'll post back what we end up
    using for a solution.

    -Peter
    The WiderNet Project

    Hi Eric,

    This is interesting. Right now we're using Windows XP and Server 2000,
    but we will be setting up a version of our server on Linux. When we get
    that up and running I'm going to test tee and see what it can do.

    I'll post back my results.

    -Peter
    The WiderNet Project

    WiderNetTech wrote:

    > I work for a non-profit project at The University of Iowa and we want
    > an inexpensive way to duplicate 250GB and larger hard drives containing
    > content collected from the Internet in an off-line browsable and
    > searchable format. These drives are then used in schools, clinics and
    > universities in areas of the world where Internet access is extremely
    > limited or non-existant.
    >
    > When I copy one drive to using SATA, I can copy 173GB in about 3 hours
    > and 45 minutes (+/-900MB per minute). When our collection was smaller
    > and we used IDE drives we would use a second-hand drive duplicator and
    > we could duplicate drives at 450MB per minute. We have even tried using
    > RAID1 arrays to duplicate drives, but the RAID tables persist and cause
    > problems later on which result in corruption of the data.
    >
    > If we were able to copy drives at a rate of 1GB per minute, that would
    > be great.
    >
    > I will suggest to one of our student programmers the idea of writing a
    > program to copy raw blocks from one device to several devices and see
    > what we they can do.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions and interest. I'll post back what we end up
    > using for a solution.

    Have you considered approaching manufacturers of drive duplicators to see if
    any will make a donation?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Previously WiderNetTech <techsupport@widernet.org> wrote:
    > I work for a non-profit project at The University of Iowa and we want
    > an inexpensive way to duplicate 250GB and larger hard drives containing
    > content collected from the Internet in an off-line browsable and
    > searchable format. These drives are then used in schools, clinics and
    > universities in areas of the world where Internet access is extremely
    > limited or non-existant.

    > When I copy one drive to using SATA, I can copy 173GB in about 3 hours
    > and 45 minutes (+/-900MB per minute). When our collection was smaller
    > and we used IDE drives we would use a second-hand drive duplicator and
    > we could duplicate drives at 450MB per minute. We have even tried using
    > RAID1 arrays to duplicate drives, but the RAID tables persist and cause
    > problems later on which result in corruption of the data.

    > If we were able to copy drives at a rate of 1GB per minute, that would
    > be great.

    Should be doable with PCI and no more than, say, 4 drives total.
    For more drives you may need PCI-X or PCI-E as bus and maybe
    more than one controller.

    > I will suggest to one of our student programmers the idea of writing a
    > program to copy raw blocks from one device to several devices and see
    > what we they can do.

    It is not really difficult. There could be some system limits
    you run into, but basically I think hacking, e.g., "dd_rescue"
    (code available here: http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/)
    to accept more than one target should do the job.

    > Thanks for your suggestions and interest. I'll post back what we end up
    > using for a solution.

    Please do.

    Arno

SATA Storage