Will a seperate hard drive enhance my video playback?

I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up via
firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main hard
drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.

Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
(all other factors being equal).

I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close donw
my Norton progam completely ...)

Thanks

using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30 gigs
free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.

--
Michael
9 answers Last reply

    A new larger internal hd would be a step in the right direction,increase from
    current size,then set current to slave,set it as youre page file along with
    new.
    This is done thru system properties,advanced,settings,change button,click on
    a drive or highlite it,set to,"let windows manage" then click set 2 X,do
    for each.
    With so much ram,you should also,disable pagingexecutive thru regedit.You
    wrote "pentium" which one,4 or 3,P3 will be somewhat slower than a P4,if P4
    what size,a 2.4 or above would be ok.The hd is youre 1st step as mentioned,
    also as microsoft highly recomends.

    "Michael" wrote:

    > I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up via
    > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main hard
    > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
    > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    >
    > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
    > (all other factors being equal).
    >
    > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close donw
    > my Norton progam completely ...)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30 gigs
    > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.
    >
    > --
    > Michael

    Thanks for that reply;

    Oh, I have a pentium 4; I'm thinking of getting, say, a 200G [external] hard
    drive; but if I connect it with my firewire cable, won't sending/retreiving
    my video files be straightforward? I guess the cocumentation i get w/the
    drive will explain it.

    I'm mostly anxious to know that getting this "beast" will truly be the
    solution I've been trying looking for ...

    .... ... in search of smoooooooth video ... ...

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > A new larger internal hd would be a step in the right direction,increase from
    > current size,then set current to slave,set it as youre page file along with
    > new.
    > This is done thru system properties,advanced,settings,change button,click on
    > a drive or highlite it,set to,"let windows manage" then click set 2 X,do
    > for each.
    > With so much ram,you should also,disable pagingexecutive thru regedit.You
    > wrote "pentium" which one,4 or 3,P3 will be somewhat slower than a P4,if P4
    > what size,a 2.4 or above would be ok.The hd is youre 1st step as mentioned,
    > also as microsoft highly recomends.
    >
    > "Michael" wrote:
    >
    > > I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up via
    > > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    > > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main hard
    > > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
    > > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    > >
    > > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
    > > (all other factors being equal).
    > >
    > > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    > > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close donw
    > > my Norton progam completely ...)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30 gigs
    > > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael

    Have you ever thought that maybe it is not your HD that is causing this
    problem??? but the capabilities of your video card to capture and play the
    necesary information required ??
    Do a speed search on transfer speed of your HD versus the transfer speed of a
    firewire enabled HD....
    peter
    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that reply;
    >
    > Oh, I have a pentium 4; I'm thinking of getting, say, a 200G [external] hard
    > drive; but if I connect it with my firewire cable, won't sending/retreiving
    > my video files be straightforward? I guess the cocumentation i get w/the
    > drive will explain it.
    >
    > I'm mostly anxious to know that getting this "beast" will truly be the
    > solution I've been trying looking for ...
    >
    > ... ... in search of smoooooooth video ... ...
    >

    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    >> A new larger internal hd would be a step in the right direction,increase
    >> from
    >> current size,then set current to slave,set it as youre page file along with
    >> new.
    >> This is done thru system properties,advanced,settings,change button,click on
    >> a drive or highlite it,set to,"let windows manage" then click set 2 X,do
    >> for each.
    >> With so much ram,you should also,disable pagingexecutive thru regedit.You
    >> wrote "pentium" which one,4 or 3,P3 will be somewhat slower than a P4,if P4
    >> what size,a 2.4 or above would be ok.The hd is youre 1st step as mentioned,
    >> also as microsoft highly recomends.
    >>
    >> "Michael" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up
    >> > via
    >> > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    >> > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main
    >> > hard
    >> > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
    >> > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    >> >
    >> > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
    >> > (all other factors being equal).
    >> >
    >> > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    >> > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close
    >> > donw
    >> > my Norton progam completely ...)
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30 gigs
    >> > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Michael

    Yeah, I wondered that also, Peter, but it is after all, a fairly new computer
    I just bought .... and I did get [as far as my limited fore-knowledge of the
    gear went] a pretty high end machine. ... will have to research the
    comparative speeds of a firewire transfer vs. my present drive setup ....

    > I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook
    up via
    > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main
    hard
    > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems
    > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    >
    > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"?
    > (all other factors being equal).
    >
    > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close
    donw
    > my Norton progam completely ...)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30
    gigs
    > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.

    What video card are you using? Have a look in Device Manager in the
    "Display Adapters" section.

    Updating its drivers to the newest available from the manufacturer's
    website (as opposed to what might be offered by Windows Update) might help
    with video playback. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't think that your
    current hard drive is what is holding you back at all.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    If you are having prblems playing in WIndows Media Player I would suggest to
    tinker the Tools->Options->Performance settings a bit. Is it on the default
    Full hardware acceleration. try unselecting the following options from the
    Advanced dialog.
    Overlay
    Use video Smoothing
    Drop frames to keep AV in sync

    Furthermore, I would suggest to use Media Player Classic instead.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up
    >via
    > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main
    > hard
    > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
    > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    >
    > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
    > (all other factors being equal).
    >
    > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close
    > donw
    > my Norton progam completely ...)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30
    > gigs
    > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.
    >
    > --
    > Michael
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Whew,lots of helpful ideas!

    No, Peter, you may be entirely correct - it may very well simply be my
    system ... I only figured it could "do all" ... 'cause it was (me thinks) a
    good computer.

    Well, my video card in the computer is the Intel 82845G/GL Apparantly, there
    is an updated driver that I can try.

    My Firewire card is actually my Creative Labs Platinum Audigy EX card. But I
    checked with the CL f0olks about video transfer in/out of the firewire ports
    on the card (there are several); they said: "No Prob'!"

    I will explore the "unselect" settings suggested in my Tools menu of Media
    Player; I see they are still in the "selected" mode.

    Michael

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > If you are having prblems playing in WIndows Media Player I would suggest to
    > tinker the Tools->Options->Performance settings a bit. Is it on the default
    > Full hardware acceleration. try unselecting the following options from the
    > Advanced dialog.
    > Overlay
    > Use video Smoothing
    > Drop frames to keep AV in sync
    >

    > Furthermore, I would suggest to use Media Player Classic instead.
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
    >

    > "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am considering getting one of those large external hard drives; hook up
    > >via
    > > firewire, and capture-edit-transfer all my mini dv footage to/from it;
    > > therefore no video will need to compete for space on my computer's main
    > > hard
    > > drive. I'm hoping this will alleviate the intermittant skipping problems I
    > > still get with playback after I capture video to my computer.
    > >
    > > Wondering if anyone here can definitively claim "Yes! that will work"? ...
    > > (all other factors being equal).
    > >
    > > I've already tried increasing my RAM (to a gig); shutting down all other
    > > programs, incl. anti virus software; (thougham not truly sure I do close
    > > donw
    > > my Norton progam completely ...)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > using: Windows XP; pentium; sony TRV-19 mini dv; firewire transfer; 30
    > > gigs
    > > free space on my [current] hard drive; 1 gig ram.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    > Whew,lots of helpful ideas!
    >
    > Well, my video card in the computer is the Intel 82845G/GL Apparantly,
    there
    > is an updated driver that I can try.

    This is an onboard graphics adapter. Unlike a separate video card,
    onboard adapters use some your CPU's resources to process video. This is
    where you need to be spending those dollars- not on a new hard drive but
    on a dedicated video card.

    I still suffer from a fear of opening my computer's case, but installing a
    video card is something you *can* do yourself if you like:
    http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1168_1.html

    I buy my brother a few beers and have him do this sort of thing for me,
    but if he were unavailable I'd pay someone a few dollars to do it for me
    so that I knew it was done right.

    If the drivers update for your present video adapter doesn't fix your
    playback problems, buy a mid-range video card and it will no doubt solve
    all your troubles.

    Regards,
    Ian.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    With an onboard graphics adaptor you can on quite a few systems allocate more
    RAM to the video.Since you have a GIG of ram you can try that first.This is
    usally done in the BIOS and the manual that came with your system should explain
    how.This will deduct that ram from other uses.
    If that and the new drivers do not resolve your problem then I would look into
    buying a Video Card.At this point you need to know if you have an AGP slot on
    your MOBO and if you do you can buy an AGP video Card if not you will need a PCI
    card.

Video External Hard Drive Windows XP