I have a Diamond Stealth S80 128DDR video card (Raedon 9200 compatible). I
am currently running the 6.14.10.6476 drivers and I have downloaded newer
driver from the ATI site since the manufacturers driver is too old and
causes errors.

The install directions seem to have changed--I am running the older control
panel and not the newer one due to my older video card.

Do I need to uninstall the control panel, reboot & then uninstall the
drivers before installing the new control panel and drivers or do I just
install over existing drivers and control panel. The new instructions seem
to say to install over existing drivers, but I am not sure about
uninstalling the old control panel and if I reboot afterward, before
installing the new drivers.

If anyone can please give me the correct steps to install the new drivers I
would appreciate it!

Yes, you will have to uninstall the ATI Control Panel software. ATI has very
good uninstall/reinstall instructions on their website.
www.coribright.com

"Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>I have a Diamond Stealth S80 128DDR video card (Raedon 9200 compatible). I
>am currently running the 6.14.10.6476 drivers and I have downloaded newer
>driver from the ATI site since the manufacturers driver is too old and
>causes errors.
>
> The install directions seem to have changed--I am running the older
> control panel and not the newer one due to my older video card.
>
> Do I need to uninstall the control panel, reboot & then uninstall the
> drivers before installing the new control panel and drivers or do I just
> install over existing drivers and control panel. The new instructions
> seem to say to install over existing drivers, but I am not sure about
> uninstalling the old control panel and if I reboot afterward, before
> installing the new drivers.
>
> If anyone can please give me the correct steps to install the new drivers
> I would appreciate it!

The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not tell
you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
uninstall the old driver files.

Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel? Do
I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after that?
Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?

> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
tell
> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
> uninstall the old driver files.
>
> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
Do
> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
that?
> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?

These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).

You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
you install the new ones from ATI.

Did we just buy a new PC game?

--
Ian.

I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website
(which have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not
restart after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you
installed the control panel or the control panel would not install properly.

Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So I
don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure
to follow to get the new ones installed properly.
"Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
> tell
>> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
>> uninstall the old driver files.
>>
>> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
> Do
>> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
> that?
>> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
>> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
>
> These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
> far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
>
> You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
> just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
> ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
> You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
> your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
> you install the new ones from ATI.
>
> Did we just buy a new PC game?
>
> --
> Ian.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am using a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb orf RAM. I have updated to the latest
video drivers every month as ATI releases them. I DO NOT uninstall the
previous drivers - I just run the setup program and everything gets
installed. I have been doing this for over a year - with NO PROBLEMS.

>I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website
>(which have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not
>restart after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you
>installed the control panel or the control panel would not install
>properly.
>
> Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So
> I don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
> driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure
> to follow to get the new ones installed properly.
> "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>>> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
>> tell
>>> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
>>> uninstall the old driver files.
>>>
>>> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
>> Do
>>> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
>> that?
>>> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
>>> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
>>
>> These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
>> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
>> far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
>>
>> You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I
>> would
>> just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
>> ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
>> You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
>> your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
>> you install the new ones from ATI.
>>
>> Did we just buy a new PC game?
>>
>> --
>> Ian.

peter

Lori
This has worked for me for every ATI Radeon driver.
Uninstall the old control panel
uninstall the old drivers
reboot
install the new drivers
install the new control panel
reboot
On the newset ATI drivers set they actually say you do not have to uninstall the
old drivers but I still do
peter
"Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website (which
>have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not restart
>after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you installed the
>control panel or the control panel would not install properly.
>
> Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So I
> don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
> driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure to
> follow to get the new ones installed properly.
> "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>>> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
>> tell
>>> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
>>> uninstall the old driver files.
>>>
>>> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
>> Do
>>> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
>> that?
>>> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
>>> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
>>
>> These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
>> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
>> far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
>>
>> You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
>> just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
>> ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
>> You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
>> your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
>> you install the new ones from ATI.
>>
>> Did we just buy a new PC game?
>>
>> --
>> Ian.

Thanks! I will install them after I do a backup. Have you noticed any
changes other than those indicated on the site to correct problems with
newer games?