I have a Diamond Stealth S80 128DDR video card (Raedon 9200 compatible). I
am currently running the 6.14.10.6476 drivers and I have downloaded newer
driver from the ATI site since the manufacturers driver is too old and
causes errors.

The install directions seem to have changed--I am running the older control
panel and not the newer one due to my older video card.

Do I need to uninstall the control panel, reboot & then uninstall the
drivers before installing the new control panel and drivers or do I just
install over existing drivers and control panel. The new instructions seem
to say to install over existing drivers, but I am not sure about
uninstalling the old control panel and if I reboot afterward, before
installing the new drivers.

If anyone can please give me the correct steps to install the new drivers I
would appreciate it!
7 answers Last reply
More about loading driver

    Yes, you will have to uninstall the ATI Control Panel software. ATI has very
    good uninstall/reinstall instructions on their website.
    www.coribright.com

    "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Diamond Stealth S80 128DDR video card (Raedon 9200 compatible). I
    >am currently running the 6.14.10.6476 drivers and I have downloaded newer
    >driver from the ATI site since the manufacturers driver is too old and
    >causes errors.
    >
    > The install directions seem to have changed--I am running the older
    > control panel and not the newer one due to my older video card.
    >
    > Do I need to uninstall the control panel, reboot & then uninstall the
    > drivers before installing the new control panel and drivers or do I just
    > install over existing drivers and control panel. The new instructions
    > seem to say to install over existing drivers, but I am not sure about
    > uninstalling the old control panel and if I reboot afterward, before
    > installing the new drivers.
    >
    > If anyone can please give me the correct steps to install the new drivers
    > I would appreciate it!

    The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not tell
    you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
    uninstall the old driver files.

    Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel? Do
    I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after that?
    Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
    after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?

    > The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
    tell
    > you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
    > uninstall the old driver files.
    >
    > Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
    Do
    > I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
    that?
    > Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
    > after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?

    These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
    http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
    far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).

    You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
    just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
    ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
    You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
    your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
    you install the new ones from ATI.

    Did we just buy a new PC game?

    --
    Ian.

    I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website
    (which have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not
    restart after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you
    installed the control panel or the control panel would not install properly.

    Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So I
    don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
    driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure
    to follow to get the new ones installed properly.
    "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
    > tell
    >> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
    >> uninstall the old driver files.
    >>
    >> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
    > Do
    >> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
    > that?
    >> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
    >> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
    >
    > These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
    > http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
    > far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
    >
    > You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
    > just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
    > ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
    > You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
    > your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
    > you install the new ones from ATI.
    >
    > Did we just buy a new PC game?
    >
    > --
    > Ian.

    I am using a Radeon 9800 Pro w/256Mb orf RAM. I have updated to the latest
    video drivers every month as ATI releases them. I DO NOT uninstall the
    previous drivers - I just run the setup program and everything gets
    installed. I have been doing this for over a year - with NO PROBLEMS.

    >I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website
    >(which have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not
    >restart after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you
    >installed the control panel or the control panel would not install
    >properly.
    >
    > Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So
    > I don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
    > driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure
    > to follow to get the new ones installed properly.
    > "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >>> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
    >> tell
    >>> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
    >>> uninstall the old driver files.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
    >> Do
    >>> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
    >> that?
    >>> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
    >>> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
    >>
    >> These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
    >> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
    >> far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
    >>
    >> You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I
    >> would
    >> just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
    >> ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
    >> You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
    >> your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
    >> you install the new ones from ATI.
    >>
    >> Did we just buy a new PC game?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian.

    Lori
    This has worked for me for every ATI Radeon driver.
    Uninstall the old control panel
    uninstall the old drivers
    reboot
    install the new drivers
    install the new control panel
    reboot
    On the newset ATI drivers set they actually say you do not have to uninstall the
    old drivers but I still do
    peter
    "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP Professional. The instructions on ATI's website (which
    >have been changed) went thru each step and said that you should not restart
    >after installing the Video drivers even when prompted until you installed the
    >control panel or the control panel would not install properly.
    >
    > Now the instructions are very vague and I did not print the old ones. So I
    > don't know how to install the new driver. I always update to the newest
    > driver but since they changed the instructions I don't know what procedure to
    > follow to get the new ones installed properly.
    > "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> "Lori Ann Kuiper" <loriak25@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >>> The instruction they had on there before were very good. It does not
    >> tell
    >>> you when to restart or if you need too. It does not say whether to
    >>> uninstall the old driver files.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to restart when prompted after uninstalling the control panel?
    >> Do
    >>> I need to uninstall the old driver files and if so do I restart after
    >> that?
    >>> Do I ignore the prompt to restart after installing the new video drivers
    >>> after I install the control panel as previous instructions said to do?
    >>
    >> These are the instructions I followed successfully a month ago:
    >> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html#1a I didn't go as
    >> far as fiddling around in the registry, however, as described in step h).
    >>
    >> You must be running Windows 98 with all that restarting required. I would
    >> just restart every time I was prompted, to be on the safe side and to
    >> ensure that each step really is complete before continuing to the next.
    >> You won't end up restarting into a blank screen once you've uninstalled
    >> your current drivers- Windows will default to some generic drivers until
    >> you install the new ones from ATI.
    >>
    >> Did we just buy a new PC game?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Thanks! I will install them after I do a backup. Have you noticed any
    changes other than those indicated on the site to correct problems with
    newer games?

Video Control Panel Drivers Windows XP