Darn, is my Hard Disk Drive finished? Can't read it.

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 9:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
it again.

The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....

Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 11:05:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
Windows) drives.
-Chris.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:

>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
>it again.
>
>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>
>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 11:12:00 AM

ccrc wrote:

> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
> Windows) drives.
> -Chris.
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
>>it again.
>>
>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>
>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
again, as it's not an old drive.
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 12:00:35 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:12:00 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:

>ccrc wrote:
>
>> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
>> Windows) drives.
>> -Chris.
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
>>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
>>>it again.
>>>
>>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
>>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>>
>>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
>>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
>>

>Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
>again, as it's not an old drive.

Well, it's worth a try to try to recover it then.

I wouldnt put faith in it until you've had it running stable a while
though.

Do you have the tech to repartition and reformat yourself? Have a
mildly well versed tech buddy who can help you?
-C.
August 11, 2005 12:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
recovers.

"eb7g" <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> ccrc wrote:
>
> > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
> > Windows) drives.
> > -Chris.
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >

> >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
> >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
> >>it again.
> >>
> >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
> >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
> >>
> >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
> >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
> >

> Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
> again, as it's not an old drive.
August 11, 2005 7:35:56 PM

"" wrote:
> ccrc wrote:
>
> > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old
> "unreadable" (by
> > Windows) drives.
> > -Chris.
> >
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >

> >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two
> years old. I
> >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
> could read
> >>it again.
> >>
> >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem
> to access
> >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems
> fine....
> >>
> >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as
> my operating
> >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
> >

> Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to
> use it
> again, as it's not an old drive.

Get back data is a good option...
has worked for me with a dead 80 gb seagate.

Easy Recovery Pro....can also be of much help....its got this option
whr you can recover data from a formatted hdd. (hvnt still got a
chance to try it tho...) hopefuly shuld work for you..as long as the
drive detects in the bios and spins...uve not run out of luck....

im soon gonna start work on a WD Caviar WD400BB dead hdd which isnt
showing up on bios...

anyone knows any software for WD for e.g DM 9.5 for seagate

cheers!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Darn-Hard-Disk...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304701
August 11, 2005 11:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb drives
come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.

"eb7g" <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:p NBKe.186006$%K2.81544@pd7tw1no...
> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
> was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
> it again.
>
> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
> it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>
> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
> system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 12, 2005 11:19:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

Zag <zag@zigmail.com> wrote

> You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired,
> all WD 120gb drives come with a 3yr warranty,

Wrong. Not when he bought it.

> look into RMA'ing it. I'd stay clear of any WD
> drives, due to past experience with them.

> "eb7g" <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:p NBKe.186006$%K2.81544@pd7tw1no...
>> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years
>> old. I was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
>> could read it again.
>>
>> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to
>> access it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
>>
>> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my
>> operating system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 12, 2005 2:05:53 PM

Rob wrote:
> if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
>
> try this
>
> works.. 90% of the time

depends what the failure mode is.

> freeze the bastard.. overnight

If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.

> get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
>

> install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
> cloning begins!

Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
stops working again.

It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
the entire drive.

--
Mike
August 12, 2005 6:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

thats why i mentioned in my first line " if the drive is unreadable
with any other tools "

:)

in other words, if the drive is toast, give it a shot

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:05:53 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net>
wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>> if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
>>
>> try this
>>
>> works.. 90% of the time
>
>depends what the failure mode is.
>
>> freeze the bastard.. overnight
>
>If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
>in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.
>
>> get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
>>

>> install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
>> cloning begins!
>
>Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
>stops working again.
>
>It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
>the entire drive.
August 12, 2005 7:16:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

Good choice, that's the exact one I have in mine too.
No problems with it so far.

!