Darn, is my Hard Disk Drive finished? Can't read it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
it again.

The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....

Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
10 answers Last reply
More about darn hard disk drive finished read
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    Windows) drives.
    -Chris.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >it again.
    >
    >The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >
    >Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    ccrc wrote:

    > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    > Windows) drives.
    > -Chris.
    >
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >>it again.
    >>
    >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>
    >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.

    Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    again, as it's not an old drive.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:12:00 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >ccrc wrote:
    >
    >> I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    >> Windows) drives.
    >> -Chris.
    >>
    >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    >>>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    >>>it again.
    >>>
    >>>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    >>>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>>
    >>>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    >>>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
    >>

    >Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    >again, as it's not an old drive.

    Well, it's worth a try to try to recover it then.

    I wouldnt put faith in it until you've had it running stable a while
    though.

    Do you have the tech to repartition and reformat yourself? Have a
    mildly well versed tech buddy who can help you?
    -C.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    download the diagnostic disk from WD and run the quick and extended health
    test on the drive. you can also zero fill the drive (since you don't need
    the data) and verify afterward to see if there are bad sectors in the drive.
    unfortunately the program does not give you the actual errors, just error
    codes so you can't really tell what they are. but having this happen to the
    drive once, you should avoid putting important data on it, even if it
    recovers.

    "eb7g" <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > ccrc wrote:
    >
    > > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old "unreadable" (by
    > > Windows) drives.
    > > -Chris.
    > >
    > > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    > >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    > >>it again.
    > >>
    > >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    > >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    > >>
    > >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    > >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
    > >

    > Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to use it
    > again, as it's not an old drive.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > ccrc wrote:
    >
    > > I use GetDataBack and it has worked wonders on my old
    > "unreadable" (by
    > > Windows) drives.
    > > -Chris.
    > >
    > > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:57:41 GMT, eb7g <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two
    > years old. I
    > >>was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
    > could read
    > >>it again.
    > >>
    > >>The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem
    > to access
    > >>it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems
    > fine....
    > >>
    > >>Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as
    > my operating
    > >>system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
    > >

    > Cool. I don't need the data on it, I just want to be able to
    > use it
    > again, as it's not an old drive.

    Get back data is a good option...
    has worked for me with a dead 80 gb seagate.

    Easy Recovery Pro....can also be of much help....its got this option
    whr you can recover data from a formatted hdd. (hvnt still got a
    chance to try it tho...) hopefuly shuld work for you..as long as the
    drive detects in the bios and spins...uve not run out of luck....

    im soon gonna start work on a WD Caviar WD400BB dead hdd which isnt
    showing up on bios...

    anyone knows any software for WD for e.g DM 9.5 for seagate

    cheers!

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Darn-Hard-Disk-Drive-finished-read-ftopict60309.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304701
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired, all WD 120gb drives
    come with a 3yr warranty, look into RMA'ing it.
    I'd stay clear of any WD drives, due to past experience with them.

    > I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years old. I
    > was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing could read
    > it again.
    >
    > The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to access
    > it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >
    > Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my operating
    > system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    Zag <zag@zigmail.com> wrote

    > You said it's less than 2yrs old and warranty's expired,
    > all WD 120gb drives come with a 3yr warranty,

    Wrong. Not when he bought it.

    > look into RMA'ing it. I'd stay clear of any WD
    > drives, due to past experience with them.

    > "eb7g" <eb7g@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> I have a 120GB Western Digital Caviar that is less than two years
    >> old. I was rendering a movie from it when it froze and then nothing
    >> could read it again.
    >>
    >> The computer bios will see it, but windows can't. Can't seem to
    >> access it in anyway, even to reformat it. It spins and seems fine....
    >>
    >> Any idea what happened, and if it's usable? If so, how, as my
    >> operating system won't read it. Warranty is expired.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    Rob wrote:
    > if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >
    > try this
    >
    > works.. 90% of the time

    depends what the failure mode is.

    > freeze the bastard.. overnight

    If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
    in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.

    > get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >

    > install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    > cloning begins!

    Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
    stops working again.

    It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
    the entire drive.

    --
    Mike
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    thats why i mentioned in my first line " if the drive is unreadable
    with any other tools "

    :)

    in other words, if the drive is toast, give it a shot

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:05:53 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net>
    wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> if the drive is unreadable with any other tools.....
    >>
    >> try this
    >>
    >> works.. 90% of the time
    >
    >depends what the failure mode is.
    >
    >> freeze the bastard.. overnight
    >
    >If you must give this advice at least tell people to put the HDD
    >in a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer.
    >
    >> get ghost.. made by symantec.. a hard drive cloning utility
    >>

    >> install the dead hard drive back.. boot up with ghost, and let the
    >> cloning begins!
    >
    >Using this method you may have limited time until it heats up and
    >stops working again.
    >
    >It might be quicker to get important files off it instead of cloning
    >the entire drive.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,van.forsale (More info?)

    Good choice, that's the exact one I have in mine too.
    No problems with it so far.

    > I just checked it with Partion Doctor 3.0. Turns out....every sector is
    > bad. I guess it's toast.
    >
    > I bought a Seagate Barracuda 200GB instead, they have the 5 year warranty.
    >
    > thanks for your posts and emails.
    >
    > Zag wrote:
    >
    > > Or just get Spinrite.

Hardware Hard Drives Storage