Large External Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 6:09:15 AM

I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large in
an enclosure?

Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I have
never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any ideas about
this drive?

Anon
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 1:02:35 PM

Oldspook wrote:

> I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
> to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
> enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large
> in an enclosure?
>
> Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I
> have never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any
> ideas about this drive?

It's a Seagate/Maxtor/WD/Samsung/whoeverIforgot in a SimpleTech case with a
bridgeboard, just like every other external drive. SimpleTech's been
around a long time (they used to be "Simple Technology"--not sure why the
name changed) and while I don't have a lot of their stuff what I've got has
worked reliably. Their main line for a long time was CF, but now they seem
to be branching out.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"Oldspook" <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D oSdnfbvB70xiGbfRVn-hQ@giganews.com...
> I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
> to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
> enclosure separately?

That's what I did.

> Would there be any problems with a drive this large in
> an enclosure?

I used an all metal USB 2.0 enclosure designed for 5.25" drives (has a small
fan). Fitted the 3.5" HD using standard adaptor rails.

http://www.stardom.com.tw/web/pro-sohotank.htm
from these people
http://www.stardom.com.tw/web/index_e.htm
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 5:46:53 PM

I should add that these have a brick-in-the-cable type power supply and that
I also drilled extra cooling holes on the bottom to improve airflow.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 11, 2005 7:45:51 PM

I want to thank all who responded for their help. I think I will go with the
SimpleTech since I would be unlikely to have setup problems and the price is
good. I have read that some drives don't work properly in some enclosures.

I doubt that heat will be a problem for me since I will not leave the drive
running all the time. I will only turn it on when I want to access the
files, videos that are stored on the drive. It will be more like an archive
than an operating drive.

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D dfjsv0260d@news2.newsguy.com...
> Oldspook wrote:
>
>> I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400
>> GB
>> to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
>> enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large
>> in an enclosure?
>>
>> Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I
>> have never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any
>> ideas about this drive?
>
> It's a Seagate/Maxtor/WD/Samsung/whoeverIforgot in a SimpleTech case with
> bridgeboard, just like every other external drive. SimpleTech's been
> around a long time (they used to be "Simple Technology"--not sure why the
> name changed) and while I don't have a lot of their stuff what I've got
> has
> worked reliably. Their main line for a long time was CF, but now they
> seem
> to be branching out.
>
>> Anon
>
> --
> --John
> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 12, 2005 8:37:43 AM

Oldspook <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote

> I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB to
> store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and enclosure
> separately?

I do, in fact dont bother with external drives currently.

> Would there be any problems with a drive this large in an enclosure?

Yes, external enclosures are often quite marginal for
cooling with rather smaller drives and the 400G drives are
more of a problem in that area than the smaller drives.

!