Large External Hard Drive

I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large in
an enclosure?

Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I have
never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any ideas about
this drive?

Anon
5 answers Last reply
More about large external hard drive

    Oldspook wrote:

    > I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
    > to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
    > enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large
    > in an enclosure?
    >
    > Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I
    > have never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any
    > ideas about this drive?

    It's a Seagate/Maxtor/WD/Samsung/whoeverIforgot in a SimpleTech case with a
    bridgeboard, just like every other external drive. SimpleTech's been
    around a long time (they used to be "Simple Technology"--not sure why the
    name changed) and while I don't have a lot of their stuff what I've got has
    worked reliably. Their main line for a long time was CF, but now they seem
    to be branching out.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "Oldspook" <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB
    > to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
    > enclosure separately?

    That's what I did.

    > Would there be any problems with a drive this large in
    > an enclosure?

    I used an all metal USB 2.0 enclosure designed for 5.25" drives (has a small
    fan). Fitted the 3.5" HD using standard adaptor rails.

    http://www.stardom.com.tw/web/pro-sohotank.htm
    from these people
    http://www.stardom.com.tw/web/index_e.htm

    I should add that these have a brick-in-the-cable type power supply and that
    I also drilled extra cooling holes on the bottom to improve airflow.

    I want to thank all who responded for their help. I think I will go with the
    SimpleTech since I would be unlikely to have setup problems and the price is
    good. I have read that some drives don't work properly in some enclosures.

    I doubt that heat will be a problem for me since I will not leave the drive
    running all the time. I will only turn it on when I want to access the
    files, videos that are stored on the drive. It will be more like an archive
    than an operating drive.

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > Oldspook wrote:
    >
    >> I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400
    >> GB
    >> to store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and
    >> enclosure separately? Would there be any problems with a drive this large
    >> in an enclosure?
    >>
    >> Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I
    >> have never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty. Any
    >> ideas about this drive?
    >
    > It's a Seagate/Maxtor/WD/Samsung/whoeverIforgot in a SimpleTech case with
    > bridgeboard, just like every other external drive. SimpleTech's been
    > around a long time (they used to be "Simple Technology"--not sure why the
    > name changed) and while I don't have a lot of their stuff what I've got
    > has
    > worked reliably. Their main line for a long time was CF, but now they
    > seem
    > to be branching out.
    >
    >> Anon
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Oldspook <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote

    > I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I would like at least 400 GB to
    > store large video files. Would it be better to get the drive and enclosure
    > separately?

    I do, in fact dont bother with external drives currently.

    > Would there be any problems with a drive this large in an enclosure?

    Yes, external enclosures are often quite marginal for
    cooling with rather smaller drives and the 400G drives are
    more of a problem in that area than the smaller drives.

    > Newegg has a SimpleTech 400GB USB drive for $349, not a bad price but I have
    > never heard of SimpleTech. The say it has a 3 year warranty.

    > Any ideas about this drive?

External Hard Drive Storage Product