FTP With Router?

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have a 4 port Alcatel Speed Touch Pro Router I have an ADSL connection with 4 computers connected. My personal computer is one of them. I recently purchased BulletProof Server so I could set up my own FTP, however after I have configured what I think needs to be configured there is a problem. The IP Address the Server says my computer is, is:10.0.0.1 which of course is my LAN Address.

I looked at my Router settings, but I am not sure what I need to touch. I don't really want to fiddle and then screw something up.

Any ideas? Does someone have a working FTP with this set up?

More information:
I am running WinXP Pro with a P4 2.4, 512DDRAM and I have the newest version of BulletProof Server.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you need to forward the port your ftp is running, 21 most likely. the config page should be pretty self explanatory.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I wish it was easy, but too me it's not.
There are this options: Routing, PPP, CIP, PPTP, Bridge, DHCP and DNS that all have options within them. Which option should I look at?

Regards

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
You may be in too deep. I have exact same software.

I looked at the manual online for your Modem. From the glance I took. Your modem doesn't support this. You can get a new modem and a seperate router (I recommend the linksys 4port for about $50) (I've heard its the only one that can do this 100% successfully)

This is what you'll need to do. (Unfortunately I cannot help you through your router menus. Click each one and try to find what I'm talking about)

In Router...
1. You should set your PC with a static IP.
2. You need to forward the port to your computer (21 by default, but whatever you specified in BPFTP)
3. You should also forward a range of ports ie. 50000 to 50100 to your computer. (this is used for the passive mode)

In BPFTP:
1. Leave most tabs alone unless you're sure.
2. Make sure your listen port is same as you used in step 2 above.
3. Don't mess with Dynamic IP tab.
4. MOST IMPORTANT... In Multi IP Settings, Check Off Passive Mode IP and enter your external IP address.
5. fill in passive port range with same numbers as step 3 in router... ie. 50000 to 50100

You should now be ready to add some user accounts to BPFTP and go play. If you don't use the passive settings or don't have a linksys router you most likely wont get other behind a NAT to connect, but people without a NAT can. If port 21 isn't working for some reason besides bad settings, your ISP may block it and you should change it in both BPFTP and the router to a higher port... ie 1919, 2121, 2021...

Later.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze