RANDOM BLUE SCREEN

At what seems to be random intervals I recieve a blue screen saying that a
problem has ocurred. It talks about changing video adapters and checking for
BIOS updates, I have tried to update as much video-related hardware as I can
think of. ALSO, whenever I try to play a PC game such as Jedi Knight: Jedi
Academy or Need For Speed Underground 2 after about 5 mins of gameplay the
program stops responding and I get an error message from windows saying
something about a file appcombat.txt in my local settings folder.

Are these problems related? Could it be a problem with directX, or do I need
to buy a newer graphics card? (currently running GeForce 2 Ti)

Thanks, Ben
1 answer Last reply
More about random blue screen

    Hi Mark,

    To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
    verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

    There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

    This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
    will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
    the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
    corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
    If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
    hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "Mark Coupe" <bamcoupe@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
    > At what seems to be random intervals I recieve a blue screen saying that a
    > problem has ocurred. It talks about changing video adapters and checking
    > for BIOS updates, I have tried to update as much video-related hardware as
    > I can think of. ALSO, whenever I try to play a PC game such as Jedi
    > Knight: Jedi Academy or Need For Speed Underground 2 after about 5 mins of
    > gameplay the program stops responding and I get an error message from
    > windows saying something about a file appcombat.txt in my local settings
    > folder.
    >
    > Are these problems related? Could it be a problem with directX, or do I
    > need to buy a newer graphics card? (currently running GeForce 2 Ti)
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

Video Blue Screen Windows XP