  • Video
  • Blue Screen
  • Windows XP
November 29, 2004 4:37:09 PM

At what seems to be random intervals I recieve a blue screen saying that a
problem has ocurred. It talks about changing video adapters and checking for
BIOS updates, I have tried to update as much video-related hardware as I can
think of. ALSO, whenever I try to play a PC game such as Jedi Knight: Jedi
Academy or Need For Speed Underground 2 after about 5 mins of gameplay the
program stops responding and I get an error message from windows saying
something about a file appcombat.txt in my local settings folder.

Are these problems related? Could it be a problem with directX, or do I need
to buy a newer graphics card? (currently running GeForce 2 Ti)

Thanks, Ben

More about : random blue screen

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:20:21 PM

Hi Mark,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft