How to jumper external USB harddiscs ?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 13, 2005 9:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?

Master or Slave?

What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc. Should they be different in jumpering?

A.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 13, 2005 10:21:16 PM

Slave.

"Anan H. Samiti" <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?
>
> Master or Slave?
>
> What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc. Should they be
> different in jumpering?
>
> A.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 14, 2005 6:14:58 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Anan H. Samiti <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?

> Master or Slave?

Master, since that is IDE jumperring for single disks. May
not matter in some cases.

> What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc. Should they
> be different in jumpering?

No. The IDE is transparent to the USB interface, i.e. the
computer cannot tell that there is an IDE disk on the other
side. USB has its own way of dealing with more than one
conneced device.

Arno
a b G Storage
August 14, 2005 8:09:16 AM

Anan H. Samiti <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote

> How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?

That depends on what the bridge wants. Normally master or cable select.

> Master or Slave?

> What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc.
> Should they be different in jumpering?

Nope, the jumpering is for the drive on a particular ribbon cable,
and there is one of those in each of the external boxes.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 14, 2005 12:48:14 PM

"Anan H. Samiti" <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?
>
> Master or Slave?

Probably Master or Cable Select.

> What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc. Should they be
different in jumpering?

One Master & one Slave or both Cable Select.

See the instructions for the enclosure.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 8:05:42 PM

"Anan H. Samiti" <anan22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I have to jumper 3,5 hard discs inside external USB boxes?
>
> Master or Slave?
>
> What, if there are more than 1 external USB hard disc. Should they be
different in jumpering?

> A.

Jumper 'em all as CS.
!