WMC 2005 Component Video DVD Restrictions?

I am trying to play commercial DVDs (e.g. Monsters Inc) using Windows XP
Media Center Edition 2005 - the media center application. Works fine with
VGA, but I get an error when using the component video output:

Cannot Play DVD
Media Center cannot play this DVD. The DVD may be in use by another
application or it may be copy-protected

When I try to play using the WinDVD, I press play, it says: "Please close
WinDVD and change to non-TV Display device".

I have an ATI Radeon x700 card in a new Windows Media Center 2005 HP
Computer. I tried both a DVI-to-Video Component adapter, as well as the
adapter cable that came with the card. Both cause the same results. The DVI
works fine, and the VGA works fine, but component output always gives the
error message. I really need to use the component output with my config, as
no other inputs will be available.

I have tried HP support, but after 3 levels of escalation, the response is
"we will email you when we have a solution". Surely someone out there has
encountered this problem & has a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

I reposted this to a more appropriate NG:
microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter that I did not see before. Please reply
to that thread. thanks.

"HDTV_WMC_User" wrote:

> I am trying to play commercial DVDs (e.g. Monsters Inc) using Windows XP
> Media Center Edition 2005 - the media center application. Works fine with
> VGA, but I get an error when using the component video output:
>
> Cannot Play DVD
> Media Center cannot play this DVD. The DVD may be in use by another
> application or it may be copy-protected
>
> When I try to play using the WinDVD, I press play, it says: "Please close
> WinDVD and change to non-TV Display device".
>
> I have an ATI Radeon x700 card in a new Windows Media Center 2005 HP
> Computer. I tried both a DVI-to-Video Component adapter, as well as the
> adapter cable that came with the card. Both cause the same results. The DVI
> works fine, and the VGA works fine, but component output always gives the
> error message. I really need to use the component output with my config, as
> no other inputs will be available.
>
> I have tried HP support, but after 3 levels of escalation, the response is
> "we will email you when we have a solution". Surely someone out there has
> encountered this problem & has a solution?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS