Codec installed, audio OK, yet no video

Hi. Help! - I have a new laptop computer with WinXP professional, service
pack 2 installed and windowsupdate reports nothing new, so it should be
complete and up to date. Yet, I can't see video?

I have Win Media Player 10, as well as the DivX Player and Winamp - none of
them can play any video; I can hear the sound and se the time moving but
theres just a blank black screen where the video should be showing. I also
have CyperLink PowerDVD - this can play .MPG and DVDs movies allright, but
not .AVI or .ASF/.WMV files. I have all the latest codec installed, WMV,
DivX, XviD, ect., as well as several codec packs from all over, DirectX is
installed and the webupdate says theres nothing new. I can play all my games,
and everything seems to be working fine, yet, no video.

I know I have the codec installed, as I can open all the files (except
ASF/WMV as the program dosen't support them) in "VirtualDub" (video editing
program), but Media Player or any other player can't play any of them!

What am I doing wrong here? Is there something I'm missing?
2 answers Last reply
More about codec installed audio video

    "Madsen" <Madsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. Help! - I have a new laptop computer with WinXP professional,
    service
    > pack 2 installed and windowsupdate reports nothing new, so it should be
    > complete and up to date. Yet, I can't see video?
    >
    > I have Win Media Player 10, as well as the DivX Player and Winamp - none
    of
    > them can play any video; I can hear the sound and se the time moving but
    > theres just a blank black screen where the video should be showing. I
    also
    > have CyperLink PowerDVD - this can play .MPG and DVDs movies allright,
    but
    > not .AVI or .ASF/.WMV files. I have all the latest codec installed, WMV,
    > DivX, XviD, ect., as well as several codec packs from all over, DirectX
    is
    > installed and the webupdate says theres nothing new. I can play all my
    games,
    > and everything seems to be working fine, yet, no video.
    >
    > I know I have the codec installed, as I can open all the files (except
    > ASF/WMV as the program dosen't support them) in "VirtualDub" (video
    editing
    > program), but Media Player or any other player can't play any of them!
    >
    > What am I doing wrong here? Is there something I'm missing?

    Installing "several codec packs from all over" can cause problems, and is
    unnecessary.

    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I've tried several codec packs, but removed them again after they diden't
    work, and tried removing everything and only installing the nessary - and
    updated and reinstalled video cards, ect. I know a fair bit about computeres
    and video codec, but have no idear why I'm having this problem.

    Can it be the codec when they work in some programs, like I can open them in
    "VirtualDub?" and re-encode them into several diffrent codec, yet can't be
    played in Media Player? - I've even tried uncompressed AVI and still only
    sound and a black screen.

    "Ionizer" wrote:

    > "Madsen" <Madsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. Help! - I have a new laptop computer with WinXP professional,
    > service
    > > pack 2 installed and windowsupdate reports nothing new, so it should be
    > > complete and up to date. Yet, I can't see video?
    > >
    > > I have Win Media Player 10, as well as the DivX Player and Winamp - none
    > of
    > > them can play any video; I can hear the sound and se the time moving but
    > > theres just a blank black screen where the video should be showing. I
    > also
    > > have CyperLink PowerDVD - this can play .MPG and DVDs movies allright,
    > but
    > > not .AVI or .ASF/.WMV files. I have all the latest codec installed, WMV,
    > > DivX, XviD, ect., as well as several codec packs from all over, DirectX
    > is
    > > installed and the webupdate says theres nothing new. I can play all my
    > games,
    > > and everything seems to be working fine, yet, no video.
    > >
    > > I know I have the codec installed, as I can open all the files (except
    > > ASF/WMV as the program dosen't support them) in "VirtualDub" (video
    > editing
    > > program), but Media Player or any other player can't play any of them!
    > >
    > > What am I doing wrong here? Is there something I'm missing?
    >
    > Installing "several codec packs from all over" can cause problems, and is
    > unnecessary.
    >
    > http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.