Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

repairing HDD partition

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 3:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi *,

I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.

I had formatted it entirely as a single FAT32 80 Gb partition.

I got the information on its Max Cylinders, Heads and Sectors
from the manufacturer

How do I safely fix it in order to make the BIOS read its
geometry/FAT info and have access to the data in it?

Thanks

Albretch Mueller (lbrtchx)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 2:09:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

lbrtchx@hotmail.com <Albretch Muller> wrote

> I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.

That can be for a variety of reasons. You need to work out what
the reason is before you can get access to the data again.

> I had formatted it entirely as a single FAT32 80 Gb partition.

> I got the information on its Max Cylinders,
> Heads and Sectors from the manufacturer

> How do I safely fix it in order to make the BIOS read its
> geometry/FAT info and have access to the data in it?

Its better to use the settings that were used when you
formatted it. That was most likely an AUTO drive type.

That sees the bios get the data it needs by querying the drive for that data.

Dont write to that drive until you can see the data again.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 2:09:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Actually, let me explain better what happened.

I am more of a software person and wanted to stress test an application
using data from two hard drives. The external USB transfers were way too
slow, so I just plugged the HD into the mobo. Using the same cable o the
existing HDD.

My mistake was, as I then realized, that this mobo was an abit with RAID
conf built-in and the BIOS messed up something in the drive itself or the
FAT, because it expects for both disks to have the same geometry ...

So the second larger drive got somehow corrupted. I saw once someone fixing
these kinds of problems easily but I don't remember exactly/safely what he
did.

Again it is an entire disk FAT32 partition

So how do I solve my problem?

Could you at least point me to some realiable/knowledgeable info not
infomercial ;-) out there?

Thanks

Rod Speed wrote:

> lbrtchx@hotmail.com <Albretch Muller> wrote
>
>> I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.
>
> That can be for a variety of reasons. You need to work out what
> the reason is before you can get access to the data again.
>
>> I had formatted it entirely as a single FAT32 80 Gb partition.
>
>> I got the information on its Max Cylinders,
>> Heads and Sectors from the manufacturer
>
>> How do I safely fix it in order to make the BIOS read its
>> geometry/FAT info and have access to the data in it?
>
> Its better to use the settings that were used when you
> formatted it. That was most likely an AUTO drive type.
>
> That sees the bios get the data it needs by querying the drive for that
> data.
>
> Dont write to that drive until you can see the data again.
Related resources
August 16, 2005 7:12:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"lbrtchx@hotmail.com" <Albretch Muller> wrote in message
news:1124148743.276703@nntp.acecape.com...
> Hi *,
>
> I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.
>

Too vague. Please describe actual symptoms. Can you still 'see' the
partition / is it assigned a drive letter? If so, when you try to access it,
what happens? Quote (error) messages, if any, in verbatim.

--
Joep
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 7:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Joep wrote:

> "lbrtchx@hotmail.com" <Albretch Mvller> wrote in message
> news:1124148743.276703@nntp.acecape.com...
>> Hi *,
>>
>> I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.
>>
>
> Too vagve. Please describe actval symptoms. Can yov still 'see' the
> partition / is it assigned a drive letter? If so, when yov try to access
> it, what happens? Qvote (error) messages, if any, in verbatim.
>
> --
> Joep

// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OK here is all I can get to yov. Let me know what else is needed for yov to
do a 'proper diagnosis'.

Thanks Albretch

I vsed Koppix 3.9 to start my machine:

// __ The BIOS tells me:
Diskette Drive A: 1.44, 3.5 in
Diskette Drive B: None
Pri. Master Drive: None
Pri. Slave Drive: LRG, PIO4, 80 Gb
Sec. Master Disk: DVD, PIO4
Sec. Slave Disk: CD-RW, PIO4

// __ /sbin/fdisk -l tells me (which is a little strange since I know for
svre this is MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive with jvst a primary partition)
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sv
root@0[knoppix]# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80054059008 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 155114 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably yov selected the wrong device.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 ? 1905380 3511237 809351607+ 2a Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder bovndary.
/dev/hdb2 ? 1319774 2920359 806694933 6b Unknown
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder bovndary.
/dev/hdb3 ? 1600582 2987977 699246997 5b Unknown
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder bovndary.
/dev/hdb4 ? 1384210 2450101 537209261+ 4b Unknown
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder bovndary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

// __ cat /etc/fstab
root@0[knoppix]# cat /etc/fstab
/proc /proc proc defavlts 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noavto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/avto/floppy avto vser,noavto,exec,vmask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/avto/cdrom avto vser,noavto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/avto/cdrom1 avto vsers,noavto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb /mnt/hdb avto noavto,vsers,exec 0 0

// __ I do know the disk is fvll of data, bvt I get
root@0[knoppix]# cd /mnt/hdb
root@0[hdb]# ls -l
total 0

// __ then
root@0[hdb]# vmovnt /mnt/hdb
vmovnt: /mnt/hdb: not movnted

// __ trying to movnt the drive read only
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sv
root@0[knoppix]# movnt -t vfat /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb -o ro
movnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad svperblock on /dev/hdb,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases vsefvl info is fovnd in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

root@0[knoppix]# dmesg | tail
ac97_codec: AC97 codec, id: TRA35 (TriTech TR A5)
NET: Registered protocol family 17
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
[drm] Initialized mga 3.1.0 20021029 on minor 0: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA
G400 AGP
mtrr: 0xe4000000,0x2000000 overlaps existing 0xe4000000,0x1000000
agpgart: Fovnd an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Pvtting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
agpgart: Pvtting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
FAT: bogvs logical sector size 2624
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hdb.
root@0[knoppix]#

// __ and
root@0[hdb]# movnt
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
/ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=1646536k)
/UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type vnionfs (rw,noatime,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro)
/UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/proc/bvs/vsb on /proc/bvs/vsb type vsbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
avtomovnt(pid1964) on /mnt/avto type avtofs
(rw,fd=4,pgrp=1964,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
/UNIONFS/dev/fd0 on /mnt/avto/floppy type vfat
(rw,nosvid,nodev,vid=1000,gid=1000,vmask=000)

// __ also knoppix doesn't show the hard disk drive as an icon

// __ dmesg > dmesg.txt (incase it tells yov something)
Linvx version 2.6.11 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12))
#2 SMP Thv May 26 20:53:11 CEST 2005
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (vsable)
BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (vsable)
BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 00000000fec01000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 00000000fee00000 - 00000000fee01000 (reserved)
BIOS-e820: 00000000ffff0000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
1151MB HIGHMEM available.
896MB LOWMEM available.
On node 0 totalpages: 524272
DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:1
Normal zone: 225280 pages, LIFO batch:16
HighMem zone: 294896 pages, LIFO batch:16
DMI 2.2 present.
ACPI: RSDP (v000 VIA694 ) @ 0x000f6e20
ACPI: RSDT (v001 VIA694 AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x7fff3000
ACPI: FADT (v001 VIA694 AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x7fff3040
ACPI: DSDT (v001 VIA694 AWRDACPI 0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000c) @ 0x00000000
ACPI: BIOS age (2001) fails cvtoff (2002), acpi=force is reqvired to enable
ACPI
ACPI: Disabling ACPI svpport
Allocating PCI resovrces starting at 80000000 (gap: 80000000:7ec00000)
Bvilt 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=vs
apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce qviet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
BOOT_IMAGE=linvx
__iovnmap: bad address c00fffd9
Fovnd and enabled local APIC!
mapped APIC to ffffd000 (fee00000)
Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 65536 bytes)
Detected 1054.471 MHz processor.
Using tsc for high-res timesovrce
Console: colovr dvmmy device 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Memory: 2073720k/2097088k available (1847k kernel code, 22536k reserved,
946k data, 292k init, 1179584k highmem)
Checking if this processor honovrs the WP bit even in svpervisor mode... Ok.
Calibrating delay loop... 2076.67 BogoMIPS (lpj=1038336)
Secvrity Framework v1.0.0 initialized
SELinvx: Disabled at boot.
Movnt-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
CPU: After generic identify, caps: 0383fbff c1cbfbff 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: After vendor identify, caps: 0383fbff c1cbfbff 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: After all inits, caps: 0383fbff c1cbfbff 00000000 00000020 00000000
00000000 00000000
Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
Enabling vnmasked SIMD FPU exception svpport... done.
Checking 'hlt' instrvction... OK.
Checking for popad bvg... OK.
CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) stepping 02
per-CPU timeslice cvtoff: 731.21 vsecs.
task migration cache decay timeovt: 1 msecs.
SMP motherboard not detected.
Brovght vp 1 CPUs
CPU0 attaching sched-domain:
domain 0: span 00000001
grovps: 00000001
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an
initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 862k freed
NET: Registered protocol family 16
EISA bvs registered
spvriovs 8259A interrvpt: IRQ7.
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb4d0, last bvs=1
PCI: Using configvration type 1
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
ACPI: Svbsystem revision 20050408
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
Linvx Plvg and Play Svpport v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
PnPBIOS: Scanning system for PnP BIOS svpport...
PnPBIOS: Fovnd PnP BIOS installation strvctvre at 0xc00fbfa0
PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf0000:0xbfd0, dseg 0xf0000
PnPBIOS: 16 nodes reported by PnP BIOS; 16 recorded by driver
SCSI svbsystem initialized
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bvs 00)
PCI: Using IRQ rovter defavlt [1106/3099] at 0000:00:00.0
pnp: 00:0b: ioport range 0x3f0-0x3f1 has been reserved
avdit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
avdit(1124188869.161:0): initialized
highmem bovnce pool size: 64 pages
Total HvgeTLB memory allocated, 0
VFS: Disk qvotas dqvot_6.5.1
Dqvot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
Initializing Cryptographic API
vesafb: framebvffer at 0xe4000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, vsing 3072k, total
16384k
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x16, linelength=2048, pages=9
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:77a0
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: Trvecolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
Console: switching to colovr frame bvffer device 128x48
fb0: VESA VGA frame bvffer device
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plvg & Play device fovnd
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
io schedvler noop registered
io schedvler anticipatory registered
io schedvler deadline registered
io schedvler cfq registered
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 100000K size 1024 blocksize
Uniform Mvlti-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assvming 33MHz system bvs speed for PIO modes; override with idebvs=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:11.1
PCI: Via PIC IRQ fixvp for 0000:00:11.1, from 255 to 0
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rev 00) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0000:00:11.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xc800-0xc807, BIOS settings: hda:p io, hdb:D MA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xc808-0xc80f, BIOS settings: hdc:D MA, hdd:D MA
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hdb: MAXTOR 6L080J4, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-116 0107, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
HPT372: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:13.0
HPT372: chipset revision 5
HPT37X: vsing 33MHz PCI clock
HPT372: 100% native mode on irq 10
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807, BIOS settings: hde:p io, hdf:p io
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f, BIOS settings: hdg:p io, hdh:p io
Probing IDE interface ide2...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide2...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide4...
Probing IDE interface ide5...
hdb: max reqvest size: 128KiB
hdb: 156355584 sectors (80054 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63
hdb: cache flvshes svpported
hdb: vnknown partition table
hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
libata version 1.10 loaded.
mice: PS/2 movse device common for all mice
inpvt: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
inpvt: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Movse on isa0060/serio1
EISA: Probing bvs 0 at eisa0
EISA: Detected 0 cards.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: rovting cache hash table of 8192 bvckets, 128Kbytes
TCP established hash table entries: 262144 (order: 10, 4194304 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 786432 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configvred (established 262144 bind 65536)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 15
RAMDISK: Compressed image fovnd at block 0
VFS: Movnted root (ext2 filesystem).
seagate: ST0x/TMC-8xx not detected.
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
vsbcore: registered new driver vsbfs
vsbcore: registered new driver hvb
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2
ohci_hcd: 2004 Nov 08 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
vb: sizeof vb_scsi_cmd 64 vb_dev 2504
vsbcore: registered new driver vb
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
vsbcore: registered new driver vsb-storage
USB Mass Storage svpport registered.
ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'
sbp2: $Rev: 1219 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev hdb.
FAT: bogvs logical sector size 2624
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hdb.
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
cloop: Initializing cloop v2.02
cloop: loaded (max 8 devices)
cloop: /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: 30729 blocks, 65536 bytes/block, largest
block is 65552 bytes.
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Registering vnionfs 052605-1143
Freeing vnvsed kernel memory: 292k freed
Generic RTC Driver v1.07
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16ac)
Linvx Kernel Card Services
options: [pci] [cardbvs] [pm]
vsbcore: registered new driver hiddev
vsbcore: registered new driver vsbhid
drivers/vsb/inpvt/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 14 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
NET: Registered protocol family 23
Linvx agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected VIA KT266/KY266x/KT333 chipset
agpgart: Maximvm main memory to vse for agp memory: 1919M
agpgart: AGP apertvre is 64M @ 0xe0000000
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
0000:00:08.0: 3Com PCI 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xc000. Vers LK1.1.19
eth0: Dropping NETIF_F_SG since no checksvm featvre.
es1371: version v0.32 time 13:00:22 May 26 2005
es1371: fovnd chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x5880 revision 0x02
es1371: fovnd es1371 rev 2 at io 0xc400 irq 5 joystick 0x0
ac97_codec: AC97 codec, id: TRA35 (TriTech TR A5)
NET: Registered protocol family 17
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
[drm] Initialized mga 3.1.0 20021029 on minor 0: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA
G400 AGP
mtrr: 0xe4000000,0x2000000 overlaps existing 0xe4000000,0x1000000
agpgart: Fovnd an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Pvtting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
agpgart: Pvtting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2005 7:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

You have a fixed disk without a partition table.
Microsoft never does this, neither should you.
That's why the RAID BIOS mangled FAT's boot sector.

If you dump sector 6 of hdb,
you may see a boot sector that you can copy to sector 0 with dd.

0 eb 58 90 4d 53 57 49 4e 34 2e 31 00 02 08 22 00 X MSWIN4.1 "
10 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 ff 00 3f 00 00 00 ? ?
20 88 99 9e 00 93 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 '
30 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
40 80 00 29 46 0d fa fc 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 )F NO NAME
50 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 33 c9 8e d1 bc FAT32 3

If not, download DOS findpart from www.partitionsupport.com
and run "findpart findfat 1". Within seconds you should see a result.
You can then read the fine manual and recover files.

> OK here is all I can get to you. Let me know what else is needed for you to
> do a 'proper diagnosis'.
>
> Thanks Albretch
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 17, 2005 12:28:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

OK, leave it for a while and see what others that know more
about repairing a partition than I do say about what to do.

cmllpz@acedsl.com wrote:
> Actually, let me explain better what happened.
>
> I am more of a software person and wanted to stress test an
> application using data from two hard drives. The external USB
> transfers were way too slow, so I just plugged the HD into the mobo.
> Using the same cable o the existing HDD.
>
> My mistake was, as I then realized, that this mobo was an abit with
> RAID conf built-in and the BIOS messed up something in the drive
> itself or the FAT, because it expects for both disks to have the same
> geometry ...
>
> So the second larger drive got somehow corrupted. I saw once someone
> fixing these kinds of problems easily but I don't remember
> exactly/safely what he did.
>
> Again it is an entire disk FAT32 partition
>
> So how do I solve my problem?
>
> Could you at least point me to some realiable/knowledgeable info not
> infomercial ;-) out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> lbrtchx@hotmail.com <Albretch Muller> wrote
>>
>>> I have a hard drive which data is not accesible.
>>
>> That can be for a variety of reasons. You need to work out what
>> the reason is before you can get access to the data again.
>>
>>> I had formatted it entirely as a single FAT32 80 Gb partition.
>>
>>> I got the information on its Max Cylinders,
>>> Heads and Sectors from the manufacturer
>>
>>> How do I safely fix it in order to make the BIOS read its
>>> geometry/FAT info and have access to the data in it?
>>
>> Its better to use the settings that were used when you
>> formatted it. That was most likely an AUTO drive type.
>>
>> That sees the bios get the data it needs by querying the drive for
>> that data.
>>
>> Dont write to that drive until you can see the data again.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 17, 2005 11:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

OK Eric et *,

this is the output I got from findpart when I booted it from a DOS boot
this and, as you told me, run "findpart findfat 1"

Findfat, version FP 4.42.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.

Searches for FAT's and gives an estimate of the condition.
Only some types of errors are detected. FAT size in sectors.
'Cl' is cluster KB. 'Root' is size in entries for FAT16 and
root cluster for FAT32. 'Rep.' is probably repairable. 'Bad'
can be not easy repairable FAT sectors. DataMB is an estimate.

OS: DOS 7.10

Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338


------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK

// __
Also I think I made a mistake by running the DOS version of fdisk

Anyway, this is what I got:


Partition Status Type Vol. Label Mbytes System Usage
1 Non-DOS 24498 100%
2 Non-DOS 1356 13%
3 Non-DOS 330 3%
4 Non-DOS 3950 37%

Total disk space is 10802 Mbytes (1 Mbyte=1048576 bytes)
// __

I cannot make much sense out of it, but I am sure, based on your
experience, you could with all the info I have given to you.

Thanks
Albretch

Eric Gisin wrote:

> You have a fixed disk without a partition table.
> Microsoft never does this, neither should you.
> That's why the RAID BIOS mangled FAT's boot sector.
>
> If you dump sector 6 of hdb,
> you may see a boot sector that you can copy to sector 0 with dd.
>
> 0 eb 58 90 4d 53 57 49 4e 34 2e 31 00 02 08 22 00 X MSWIN4.1 "
> 10 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 ff 00 3f 00 00 00 ? ?
> 20 88 99 9e 00 93 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 '
> 30 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 40 80 00 29 46 0d fa fc 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 )F NO NAME
> 50 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 33 c9 8e d1 bc FAT32 3
>
> If not, download DOS findpart from www.partitionsupport.com
> and run "findpart findfat 1". Within seconds you should see a result.
> You can then read the fine manual and recover files.
>
>> OK here is all I can get to you. Let me know what else is needed for you
>> to
>> do a 'proper diagnosis'.
>>
>> Thanks Albretch
>>
August 18, 2005 1:32:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124321779.10044@nntp.acecape.com...
> OK Eric et *,
>
> this is the output I got from findpart when I booted it from a DOS boot
> this and, as you told me, run "findpart findfat 1"
>
> Findfat, version FP 4.42.
> Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.
>
> Searches for FAT's and gives an estimate of the condition.
> Only some types of errors are detected. FAT size in sectors.
> 'Cl' is cluster KB. 'Root' is size in entries for FAT16 and
> root cluster for FAT32. 'Rep.' is probably repairable. 'Bad'
> can be not easy repairable FAT sectors. DataMB is an estimate.
>
> OS: DOS 7.10
>
> Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
>
>
> ------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
> 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
> 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
>
> // __
> Also I think I made a mistake by running the DOS version of fdisk
>
> Anyway, this is what I got:
>
>
> Partition Status Type Vol. Label Mbytes System Usage
> 1 Non-DOS 24498 100%
> 2 Non-DOS 1356 13%
> 3 Non-DOS 330 3%
> 4 Non-DOS 3950 37%
>
> Total disk space is 10802 Mbytes (1 Mbyte=1048576 bytes)
> // __
>
> I cannot make much sense out of it, but I am sure, based on your
> experience, you could with all the info I have given to you.
>
> Thanks
> Albretch
>
> Eric Gisin wrote:
>
> > You have a fixed disk without a partition table.
> > Microsoft never does this, neither should you.
> > That's why the RAID BIOS mangled FAT's boot sector.
> >
> > If you dump sector 6 of hdb,
> > you may see a boot sector that you can copy to sector 0 with dd.
> >
> > 0 eb 58 90 4d 53 57 49 4e 34 2e 31 00 02 08 22 00 X MSWIN4.1 "
> > 10 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 ff 00 3f 00 00 00 ? ?
> > 20 88 99 9e 00 93 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 '
> > 30 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > 40 80 00 29 46 0d fa fc 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 )F NO NAME
> > 50 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 33 c9 8e d1 bc FAT32 3
> >
> > If not, download DOS findpart from www.partitionsupport.com
> > and run "findpart findfat 1". Within seconds you should see a result.
> > You can then read the fine manual and recover files.
> >
> >> OK here is all I can get to you. Let me know what else is needed for
you
> >> to
> >> do a 'proper diagnosis'.
> >>
> >> Thanks Albretch
> >>
>

I am not an expert on Findpart and I do not understand why it wasn't asked
to simply scan for partitions. Anyway, even if no partition tables and boot
sectors are found by Findpart, based on the fact FATs are found and that the
entire disk was partitioned in 'one' it is likely a partition table and boot
sector can be recreated from scracth should this be needed. Now if that was
all that was hosed, you can restore access to your data.

Seen your level of expertise (no offense intended), it may be wiser if you
just pulled of important data using read-only file recovery software.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 19, 2005 10:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:42:54 -0400, lbrtchx@hotmail.com wrote:

>Findfat, version FP 4.42.
>Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.

>OS: DOS 7.10
>
>Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
>
>
>------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
> 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
> 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK

As Eric said, it seems as the partition is located in the very first
sector of the disk, where normally the partition table would be.

Assuming the boot sector is not damaged, Linux can mount a partition
at that location. As example one would mount /dev/hdb for primary
slave.

The cluster size may be 32 KB, and the root directory cluster number
may be 2. Meaning that following Findpart for Windows version 4.67
command may copy the files if the disk is disk 2 in a Windows system:

findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy

or

findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 copy

or

findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 backupbootsector copy

--
Svend Olaf
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 25, 2005 4:33:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message news:9ad16$43043aee$3eddca68$1749@nf1.news-service.com
> <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124321779.10044@nntp.acecape.com...
> > OK Eric et *,
> >
> > this is the output I got from findpart when I booted it from a DOS boot
> > this and, as you told me, run "findpart findfat 1"
> >
> > Findfat, version FP 4.42.
> > Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.
> >
> > Searches for FAT's and gives an estimate of the condition.
> > Only some types of errors are detected. FAT size in sectors.
> > 'Cl' is cluster KB. 'Root' is size in entries for FAT16 and
> > root cluster for FAT32. 'Rep.' is probably repairable. 'Bad'
> > can be not easy repairable FAT sectors. DataMB is an estimate.
> >
> > OS: DOS 7.10
> >
> > Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
> >
> >
> > ------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
> > 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
> > 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
> >
> > // __
> > Also I think I made a mistake by running the DOS version of fdisk
> >
> > Anyway, this is what I got:
> >
> >
> > Partition Status Type Vol. Label Mbytes System Usage
> > 1 Non-DOS 24498 100%
> > 2 Non-DOS 1356 13%
> > 3 Non-DOS 330 3%
> > 4 Non-DOS 3950 37%
> >
> > Total disk space is 10802 Mbytes (1 Mbyte=1048576 bytes)
> > // __
> >
> > I cannot make much sense out of it, but I am sure, based on your
> > experience, you could with all the info I have given to you.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Albretch
> >
> > Eric Gisin wrote:
> >
> > > You have a fixed disk without a partition table.
> > > Microsoft never does this, neither should you.
> > > That's why the RAID BIOS mangled FAT's boot sector.
> > >
> > > If you dump sector 6 of hdb,
> > > you may see a boot sector that you can copy to sector 0 with dd.
> > >
> > > 0 eb 58 90 4d 53 57 49 4e 34 2e 31 00 02 08 22 00 X MSWIN4.1 "
> > > 10 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 ff 00 3f 00 00 00 ? ?
> > > 20 88 99 9e 00 93 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 '
> > > 30 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > > 40 80 00 29 46 0d fa fc 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 )F NO NAME
> > > 50 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 33 c9 8e d1 bc FAT32 3
> > >
> > > If not, download DOS findpart from www.partitionsupport.com
> > > and run "findpart findfat 1". Within seconds you should see a result.
> > > You can then read the fine manual and recover files.
> > >
> > > > OK here is all I can get to you. Let me know what else is needed for you to
> > > > do a 'proper diagnosis'.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks Albretch
> > > >
> >
>
> I am not an expert on Findpart and I do not understand why it wasn't asked
> to simply scan for partitions.

Could it be that someone has a clue and you don't?

Or did you just not bother to examine the info provided.
Where else would he have that info from.

> Anyway, even if no partition tables and boot
> sectors are found by Findpart, based on the fact FATs are found and that the
> entire disk was partitioned in 'one' it is likely a partition table and boot
> sector can be recreated from scracth should this be needed.

Not if the (partition) bootsector is at physical 0 and the backup at 6.

> Now if that was all that was hosed, you can restore access to your data.
>
> Seen your level of expertise (no offense intended), it may be wiser if you
> just pulled of important data using read-only file recovery software.

Have a good look in the mirror, Joepie.
August 25, 2005 5:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
news:430cfe24$1$34319$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message
news:9ad16$43043aee$3eddca68$1749@nf1.news-service.com
> > <lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1124321779.10044@nntp.acecape.com...
> > > OK Eric et *,
> > >
> > > this is the output I got from findpart when I booted it from a DOS
boot
> > > this and, as you told me, run "findpart findfat 1"
> > >
> > > Findfat, version FP 4.42.
> > > Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.
> > >
> > > Searches for FAT's and gives an estimate of the condition.
> > > Only some types of errors are detected. FAT size in sectors.
> > > 'Cl' is cluster KB. 'Root' is size in entries for FAT16 and
> > > root cluster for FAT32. 'Rep.' is probably repairable. 'Bad'
> > > can be not easy repairable FAT sectors. DataMB is an estimate.
> > >
> > > OS: DOS 7.10
> > >
> > > Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
> > >
> > >
> > > ------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
> > > 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
> > > 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
> > >
> > > // __
> > > Also I think I made a mistake by running the DOS version of fdisk
> > >
> > > Anyway, this is what I got:
> > >
> > >
> > > Partition Status Type Vol. Label Mbytes System Usage
> > > 1 Non-DOS 24498 100%
> > > 2 Non-DOS 1356 13%
> > > 3 Non-DOS 330 3%
> > > 4 Non-DOS 3950 37%
> > >
> > > Total disk space is 10802 Mbytes (1 Mbyte=1048576 bytes)
> > > // __
> > >
> > > I cannot make much sense out of it, but I am sure, based on your
> > > experience, you could with all the info I have given to you.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Albretch
> > >
> > > Eric Gisin wrote:
> > >
> > > > You have a fixed disk without a partition table.
> > > > Microsoft never does this, neither should you.
> > > > That's why the RAID BIOS mangled FAT's boot sector.
> > > >
> > > > If you dump sector 6 of hdb,
> > > > you may see a boot sector that you can copy to sector 0 with dd.
> > > >
> > > > 0 eb 58 90 4d 53 57 49 4e 34 2e 31 00 02 08 22 00 X MSWIN4.1
"
> > > > 10 02 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 3f 00 ff 00 3f 00 00 00 ? ?
> > > > 20 88 99 9e 00 93 27 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 '
> > > > 30 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > > > 40 80 00 29 46 0d fa fc 4e 4f 20 4e 41 4d 45 20 20 )F NO
NAME
> > > > 50 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 33 c9 8e d1 bc FAT32 3
> > > >
> > > > If not, download DOS findpart from www.partitionsupport.com
> > > > and run "findpart findfat 1". Within seconds you should see a
result.
> > > > You can then read the fine manual and recover files.
> > > >
> > > > > OK here is all I can get to you. Let me know what else is needed
for you to
> > > > > do a 'proper diagnosis'.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks Albretch
> > > > >
> > >
> >
> > I am not an expert on Findpart and I do not understand why it wasn't
asked
> > to simply scan for partitions.
>
> Could it be that someone has a clue and you don't?
>
> Or did you just not bother to examine the info provided.
> Where else would he have that info from.
>
> > Anyway, even if no partition tables and boot
> > sectors are found by Findpart, based on the fact FATs are found and that
the
> > entire disk was partitioned in 'one' it is likely a partition table and
boot
> > sector can be recreated from scracth should this be needed.
>
> Not if the (partition) bootsector is at physical 0 and the backup at 6.
>
> > Now if that was all that was hosed, you can restore access to your data.
> >
> > Seen your level of expertise (no offense intended), it may be wiser if
you
> > just pulled of important data using read-only file recovery software.
>
> Have a good look in the mirror, Joepie.

I advise you not to look into a mirror freakin' idiot, it'll prolly break
the mirror.

> Not if the (partition) bootsector is at physical 0 and the backup at 6.

Brilliant ... I am afraid someone already spotted that way ahead of you,
eikel (translation: dickhead). And yes, I missed that, it's not that common,
boot sectors in sector 0 on hard disks. BTW, even if there'd been no backup
boot, it could have recreated from scratch no matter if partition started at
sector 0.

> Could it be that someone has a clue and you don't?

I do not have to prove I have a clue. Mistakes are human. You are not.

Joepie
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 25, 2005 9:03:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:42:54 -0400, lbrtchx@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Findfat, version FP 4.42.
>>Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.
>
>>OS: DOS 7.10
>>
>>Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
>>
>>
>>------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
>> 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
>> 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
>
> As Eric said, it seems as the partition is located in the very first
> sector of the disk, where normally the partition table would be.
>
> Assuming the boot sector is not damaged, Linux can mount a partition
> at that location. As example one would mount /dev/hdb for primary
> slave.
>
> The cluster size may be 32 KB, and the root directory cluster number
> may be 2. Meaning that following Findpart for Windows version 4.67
> command may copy the files if the disk is disk 2 in a Windows system:
>
> findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy
>
> or
>
> findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 copy
>
> or
>
> findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 backupbootsector copy
>

thank you for helping me out with this corrupted FAT issue.

rhetorical playfulness and verbal matches aren't really helpful to me (or
anyone else for that matter)

It is a little hard for someone that is not into hardware/hard drives to
know what the consequences of taking on or another option are.

I was checking these options and at least I can not find them there:

http://www.partitionsupport.com/partitionnotes.htm

Could you point me to the manual telling me about these options?

What do the figures ?2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy? in

findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy

mean and how does it relate to my previous post in which I detailed my
hardware/BIOS settings

Thanks
Albretch
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 26, 2005 6:26:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<lbrtchx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1125003408.591284@nntp.acecape.com...
> Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:42:54 -0400, lbrtchx@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Findfat, version FP 4.42.
> > > Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.
> >
> > > OS: DOS 7.10
> > >
> > > Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338
> > >
> > >
> > >------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
> > > 0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
> > > 1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
> >
> > As Eric said, it seems as the partition is located in the very first
> > sector of the disk, where normally the partition table would be.
> >
> > Assuming the boot sector is not damaged, Linux can mount a partition
> > at that location. As example one would mount /dev/hdb for primary
> > slave.
> >
> > The cluster size may be 32 KB, and the root directory cluster number
> > may be 2. Meaning that following Findpart for Windows version 4.67
> > command may copy the files if the disk is disk 2 in a Windows system:
> >
> > findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy
> >
> > or
> >
> > findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 copy
> >
> > or
> >
> > findpart chsdir 2 0 0 1 backupbootsector copy
> >
>
> thank you for helping me out with this corrupted FAT issue.
>

> rhetorical playfulness and verbal matches aren't really helpful to me (or
> anyone else for that matter)

This is a discussion group.
If you don't want that, feel free to use the other button and go to email.
Svends utes are made to be interpreted by him self only so there is no
point in asking questions here when the questions are specifically for Svend.

>
> It is a little hard for someone that is not into hardware/hard drives
> to know what the consequences of taking on or another option are.
>
> I was checking these options and at least I can not find them there:
>
> http://www.partitionsupport.com/partitionnotes.htm
>
> Could you point me to the manual telling me about these options?
>
> What do the figures ?2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy? in
>
> findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy
>
> mean and how does it relate to my previous post in which I detailed my
> hardware/BIOS settings
>
> Thanks
> Albretch
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 26, 2005 10:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:26:44 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>This is a discussion group.
>If you don't want that, feel free to use the other button and go to email.
>Svends utes are made to be interpreted by him self only so there is no
>point in asking questions here when the questions are specifically for Svend.

They are made for people, who when they have a problem of this type,
they solve it.
--
Svend Olaf
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 26, 2005 10:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:03:44 -0400, lbrtchx@hotmail.com wrote:

>> findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy

>Could you point me to the manual telling me about these options?
>
>What do the figures ?2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy? in
>
>findpart chsdir 2 0 0 33 19079 32 2 copy
>
>mean and how does it relate to my previous post in which I detailed my
>hardware/BIOS settings

The parameters relates to the logical structure of the FAT32
partition.

Disk 2, cylinder 0, head 0, sector 33, fat size 19079 sectors, cluster
size 32 KB, root cluster 2.

If you type "findpart chsdir" you see the usage screen.
--
Svend Olaf
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 27, 2005 1:23:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> Folkert Rienstra wrote:
>
>
> > Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote:
> >
> > rhetorical playfulness and verbal matches aren't really helpful to me (or
> > anyone else for that matter)
>
> This is a discussion group.
> If you don't want that, feel free to use the other button and go to email.
> Svends utes are made to be interpreted by him self only so there is no
> point in asking questions here when the questions are specifically for Svend.


Then why, Folkert, do you tend to spend your time abusing most posters,
when your time / knowledge could be better spent assisting them?

You're full of double standards, you know.

It would appear you are posting in here merely to try to assert some
sort of superiority - but you're actually coming across as a prat.

What a waste of resources.



Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 27, 2005 4:29:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:430F7A52.123C1982@hotmail.com...
>

You never miss a 'stinking' opportunity to flash your SIG, don't you, Duncan 'Odiferous' Clarke?

>
>
> Odie
> --
> Retrodata
> www.retrodata.co.uk
> Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 28, 2005 12:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Svend Olaf Mikkelsen wrote:

>
> The parameters relates to the logical structure of the FAT32
> partition.
>
> Disk 2, cylinder 0, head 0, sector 33, fat size 19079 sectors, cluster
> size 32 KB, root cluster 2.
>
> If you type "findpart chsdir" you see the usage screen.

Hi Svend and *,

// __ this is what I am getting (no usage screen):
root@0[floppy]# findpart chsdir

Findpart, version 4.42.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 1999-2004.

Invalid disk number.
root@0[floppy]#

// __ then I run "findpart findfat 1" again and got:
root@0[floppy]# findpart findfat 1

Findfat, version FP 4.42.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2004.

Searches for FAT's and gives an estimate of the condition.
Only some types of errors are detected. FAT size in sectors.
'Cl' is cluster KB. 'Root' is size in entries for FAT16 and
root cluster for FAT32. 'Rep.' is probably repairable.
'Bad' can be not easy repairable FAT sectors. DataMB is an estimate.

OS: DOS 7.10

Disk: 1 Cylinders: 10340 Heads: 240 Sectors: 63 MB: 76338


------FAT CHS ------LBA Confidence Distance Type Sig
0 0 33 32 10672 32 OK
1 63 23 19111 10672 19079 32 OK
root@0[floppy]#

// __
that means nothing has changed

I haven't still figured out/understood how to go based on the
docs/instructions.

I am a going carefully here, because my intention eventually is saving the
HD ;-)

Thanks
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 29, 2005 7:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:13:23 -0400, lbrtchx@hotmail.com wrote:

>Findpart, version 4.42.
>Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 1999-2004.
>
>Invalid disk number.
>root@0[floppy]#

Please make some indication that what I write can be read. I said how
to copy the files using Findpart version 4.67 for Windows if the disk
is inserted as disk 2 to Findpart in a Windows system.
--
Svend Olaf
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 31, 2005 12:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" <svolaf@partitionsupport.com> wrote in message news:43105c96.47189600@news.inet.tele.dk
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:26:44 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>
> > This is a discussion group.
> > If you don't want that, feel free to use the other button and go to email.
> > Svends utes are made to be interpreted by him self only so there is no
> > point in asking questions here when the questions are specifically for Svend.
>
> They are made for people, who when they have a problem of this type,
> they solve it.

Nope, people mis-use this newsgroup as their personal mailbox for *you*
to solve their problem.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 2, 2005 7:24:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:27:54 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" <svolaf@partitionsupport.com> wrote in message news:43105c96.47189600@news.inet.tele.dk
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:26:44 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
>>
>> > This is a discussion group.
>> > If you don't want that, feel free to use the other button and go to email.
>> > Svends utes are made to be interpreted by him self only so there is no
>> > point in asking questions here when the questions are specifically for Svend.
>>
>> They are made for people, who when they have a problem of this type,
>> they solve it.
>
>Nope, people mis-use this newsgroup as their personal mailbox for *you*
>to solve their problem.

Realize that we have some real problems in this world.
--
Svend Olaf
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 4, 2005 6:22:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

if you understand as "some real problems in this world" people just
being busy that will be certainly right, but there really are a lot of
-real- "problems in this world" I guess

Svend, would you accept a US money order of check? I noticed you
accept paypal, but I have been locked outoof it (forgot my external
email registration's pw ...)
!