Toshiba Satellite & i.Link / Firewire

December 1, 2004 4:20:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I have a Toshiba Satellite P25-625 and it has an i.Link (4-pin Firewire)
port on it. I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro in an attempt to
fix the Firewire on this machine, but that didn't do it. It is correctly
identified in Device Manager as Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
Host Controller. There is also a 1394 Net Adapter under Network Adapters,
which I have disabled. I am trying to use this with my external Firewire
hard drive and a CD-Burner. However, these two devices work with my other
Dell laptop. I have already tried different cables etc. I can also assure
you that the port is not bad. I think its a driver issue. Any ideas how to
resolve it?

Thanks
December 1, 2004 5:47:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi,

Enable the 1394 network Adapter in device manager and then try again.
Make sure you have installed SP1 or SP2 with the XP OS.

Peter

"Nick Marques" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite P25-625 and it has an i.Link (4-pin Firewire)
> port on it. I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro in an attempt to
> fix the Firewire on this machine, but that didn't do it. It is correctly
> identified in Device Manager as Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
> Host Controller. There is also a 1394 Net Adapter under Network Adapters,
> which I have disabled. I am trying to use this with my external Firewire
> hard drive and a CD-Burner. However, these two devices work with my other
> Dell laptop. I have already tried different cables etc. I can also assure
> you that the port is not bad. I think its a driver issue. Any ideas how to
> resolve it?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 11:09:45 AM

Nick Marques wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite P25-625 and it has an i.Link (4-pin
> Firewire) port on it. I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro in
> an attempt to fix the Firewire on this machine, but that didn't do
> it. It is correctly identified in Device Manager as Texas Instruments
> OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. There is also a 1394 Net
> Adapter under Network Adapters, which I have disabled. I am trying to
> use this with my external Firewire hard drive and a CD-Burner.
> However, these two devices work with my other Dell laptop. I have
> already tried different cables etc. I can also assure you that the
> port is not bad. I think its a driver issue. Any ideas how to resolve
> it?
> Thanks

First, is either drive recognized in Device Manager? Second, are the
drives each powered from an external power supply? Third, unchain the
drives to test. How do you assure that the port actually works?