Good software for bad sectors?

I have a 50GB HD which I use for secondary storage, is now about 3
years old, and it seems to have had a major crash. I can't access it
(windows reports "cyclic redundancy check error) & CHKDSK finds tons of
bad sectors then crashes with an "undefined error".
Norton Diskdoctor gets "out of space on drive D:" (in its infinite
wisdom Diskdoctor apparently salvages files to the disk it is reading.
Real good idea there, Symantec).
R-Studio demo finds thousands of bad blocks, but after five hours I had
to abort the analysis - it had then done about 7% of the disk.

I'm pretty sure the HD is hosed, but there's stuff on there I'd like to
be able to salvage, and it seems the HD isn't completely dead;
according to R-Studio it seems about 1/3rd of the files on the HD are
still intact and identifiable.

So the question is this: given a massive HD crash, what is the best
file salvaging software?

Considering how pricy they are, I'd rather not splash out blindly.
9 answers Last reply
More about good software sectors

    <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Another symptom is that the computer is excruciatingly slow, because
    > windows keeps retrying to read disk D:, and while it does Windows is
    > effectively stalled.

    I'd try to clone the disk first and then use file recovery software on the
    clone to see how much files can be salvaged. Google for "bad sector clone"
    (drop the quotes) for software that can help.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-14%2CGGLD%3Anl&q=b
    ad+sector+clone&lr=

    --
    Joep

    Hello,

    >I have a 50GB HD which I use for secondary storage, is now about 3
    > years old, and it seems to have had a major crash. I can't access it
    > (windows reports "cyclic redundancy check error) & CHKDSK finds tons of
    > bad sectors then crashes with an "undefined error".
    > Norton Diskdoctor gets "out of space on drive D:" (in its infinite
    > wisdom Diskdoctor apparently salvages files to the disk it is reading.
    > Real good idea there, Symantec).
    > R-Studio demo finds thousands of bad blocks, but after five hours I had
    > to abort the analysis - it had then done about 7% of the disk.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the HD is hosed, but there's stuff on there I'd like to
    > be able to salvage, and it seems the HD isn't completely dead;
    > according to R-Studio it seems about 1/3rd of the files on the HD are
    > still intact and identifiable.
    >
    > So the question is this: given a massive HD crash, what is the best
    > file salvaging software?
    >
    > Considering how pricy they are, I'd rather not splash out blindly.

    Maybe HDD Regenerator can help, but I doubt it if you have
    IBM Deathstar disk:
    http://www.dposoft.net/
    http://www.pheuron.de/index.htm?deathstar.htm

    Roman

    Thusly Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> Spake Unto All:

    >data recovery outfoits will know the problem. No chance of
    >doing anythign yourself, except trying to copy important stuff
    >somewhere else.

    Yes, I expected as much. What would be good software for doing that,
    ie copying the surviving files from the HD?

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    Thusly "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Maybe HDD Regenerator can help, but I doubt it if you have
    >IBM Deathstar disk:
    >http://www.dposoft.net/
    >http://www.pheuron.de/index.htm?deathstar.htm

    OK, I'll try that.

    --

    Thusly "Joep" <available@request.nl> Spake Unto All:

    >I'd try to clone the disk first and then use file recovery software on the
    >clone to see how much files can be salvaged. Google for "bad sector clone"
    >(drop the quotes) for software that can help.
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-14%2CGGLD%3Anl&q=b
    >ad+sector+clone&lr=

    Thanks.
    I tried the first cloning software on the list, HDDWorkbench, but I'm
    unsure if it managed to read the disk or not. The disk passes the
    'quick' test, but when I do the 'thorough' test the computer grinds to
    a halt. I let HDDWorkbench run for 12 hours, and it didn't progress at
    all.

    If it wasn't for the fact that some files are still OK (Agent, which
    I'm writing this on, is located on the failed disk!) I'd toss the
    drive and write off the files as a loss, but clearly at least some
    files are still there, and it should be possible to somehow copy them
    from the HD - but how?

    --

    Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > Thusly Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> Spake Unto All:

    >>data recovery outfoits will know the problem. No chance of
    >>doing anythign yourself, except trying to copy important stuff
    >>somewhere else.

    > Yes, I expected as much. What would be good software for doing that,
    > ie copying the surviving files from the HD?

    Personally I use dd_rescue under Linux, which is tolerant to read errors
    and can be used for file, partition and disk copying.

    Arno

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Thanks.
    > I tried the first cloning software on the list, HDDWorkbench, but I'm
    > unsure if it managed to read the disk or not.

    Brilliant. I meant for you to try DiskPatch.

    --
    Joep

    Thusly "Joep" <available@request.nl> Spake Unto All:

    >"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> I tried the first cloning software on the list, HDDWorkbench, but I'm
    >> unsure if it managed to read the disk or not.
    >
    >Brilliant. I meant for you to try DiskPatch.

    OK, I'm on it!

    --

    "Joep" <available@request.nl> wrote in message news:5a63b$43048cd0$3eddca68$1208@nf1.news-service.com
    > "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > I tried the first cloning software on the list, HDDWorkbench, but I'm
    > > unsure if it managed to read the disk or not.
    >
    > Brilliant. I meant for you to try DiskPatch.

    Then pay Google enough to put your soft first in the list, you cheapskate.

Storage HD