Dead HD with tons of bad sectors but some surviving files ..

In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
(to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
Spinrite.

It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
it only handles logical errors or if it can recover data from a disk
with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?

I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.

(Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
closure on this ASAP)

--
Everything is gone;
Your life's work has been destroyed.

    Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
    > (to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
    > Spinrite.

    > It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
    > it only handles logical errors or if it can recover data from a disk
    > with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?

    > I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
    > HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.

    > (Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
    > closure on this ASAP)

    AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today and
    it is mostly a tool for esting disk surfaces and not for
    data recovery.

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >> In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
    >> (to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
    >> Spinrite.
    >
    >> It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
    >> it only handles logical errors or if it can recover data from a disk
    >> with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?
    >
    >> I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
    >> HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.
    >
    >> (Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
    >> closure on this ASAP)
    >
    > AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today and
    > it is mostly a tool for esting disk surfaces and not for
    > data recovery.

    Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool.

    From grc's site:
    "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive maintenance magic
    to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives."

    Previously fj <jelenko@att.net> wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>> In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
    >>> (to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
    >>> Spinrite.
    >>
    >>> It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
    >>> it only handles logical errors or if it can recover data from a disk
    >>> with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?
    >>
    >>> I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
    >>> HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.
    >>
    >>> (Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
    >>> closure on this ASAP)
    >>
    >> AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today and
    >> it is mostly a tool for esting disk surfaces and not for
    >> data recovery.
    >>
    > Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool.

    > From grc's site:
    > "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive maintenance magic
    > to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives."

    Spin rite makes use of some assumptions about the modulation used when
    writing the sectors. In the times of MFM and RLL where you actually
    knew what exactly was on the disks this, the disks were relatively
    stupid and this added detection and recovery capabilities. Today the
    disks themselves can read close to the physical limits, do extensive
    error correction and there is not realy any additional "magic" Spin
    rite can do. Just a retry on read error does the same.

    Arno

    "" wrote:
    > Previously fj <jelenko@att.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >> Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk>
    > crashed and
    > the program

    > I'm unsure if
    > from a disk

    > repair the
    > alive on it.

    > like to get
    > >>
    > >> AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today
    > and
    > >> it is mostly a tool for esting disk surfaces and not for
    > >> data recovery.
    > >>
    > > Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool. [I've never
    > tried it]
    >
    > > From grc's site:
    > > "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive
    > maintenance magic
    > > to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard
    > drives."
    >
    > Spin rite makes use of some assumptions about the modulation
    > used when
    > writing the sectors. In the times of MFM and RLL where you
    > actually
    > knew what exactly was on the disks this, the disks were
    > relatively
    > stupid and this added detection and recovery capabilities.
    > Today the
    > disks themselves can read close to the physical limits, do
    > extensive
    > error correction and there is not realy any additional "magic"
    > Spin
    > rite can do. Just a retry on read error does the same.
    >
    > Arno

    yeah :)

    spinrite - for HDD scan only, not for recovery

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Dead-HD-tons-bad-sectors-surviving-files-Spinrite-help-ftopict60687.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=307916

    "hehe" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message news:7_307916_e148ff131c19bbe064b54bdfe9badff3@hardwareforumz.com
    > "" wrote:
    > > Previously fj <jelenko@att.net> wrote:

    > > > Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool.
    > >
    > > > From grc's site:
    > > > "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive maintenance magic
    > > > to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives."
    > >
    > > Spin rite makes use of some assumptions about the modulation used when
    > > writing the sectors. In the times of MFM and RLL where you actually
    > > knew what exactly was on the disks this, the disks were relatively
    > > stupid and this added detection and recovery capabilities.
    > > Today the disks themselves can read close to the physical limits, do
    > > extensive error correction and there is not realy any additional "magic"
    > > Spinrite can do. Just a retry on read error does the same.
    > >
    > > Arno
    >
    > yeah :)

    Nope.

    > spinrite - for HDD scan only, not for recovery

    For physical recovery, but not logical error recovery.

    "fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote in message news:iH7Ne.630786$cg1.85233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > Previously Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@nospamyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > > > In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
    > > > (to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
    > > > Spinrite.
    > >
    > > > It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
    > > > it only handles logical errors or if it can recover data from a disk
    > > > with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?
    > >
    > > > I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
    > > > HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.
    > >
    > > > (Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
    > > > closure on this ASAP)
    > >
    > > AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today and
    > > it is mostly a tool for testing disk surfaces and not for
    > > data recovery.
    > >

    > Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool.

    As in sector data. Not file system recovery.

    > From grc's site:
    > "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive maintenance magic
    > to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives."

    Any filesystem recovery is accomplished by bringing back sectors in the system
    areas. Spinrite only knows about filesytems to know where to copy data from a bad
    sector to a free sector (cluster) and update the filesystem accordingly to where
    this sector is now currently when that sector can't be reassigned by the drive itself.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3mlc1tF17karvU1@individual.net
    > Previously fj <jelenko@att.net> wrote:

    > > > AFAIK Spin-rite does not really do anything special today and
    > > > it is mostly a tool for esting disk surfaces and not for
    > > > data recovery.
    > > >
    > > Spin rite claims it's a data recovery tool.
    >
    > > From grc's site:
    > > "SpinRite now brings its legendary data recovery and drive maintenance magic
    > > to the latest file systems, operating systems, and hard drives."
    >
    > Spin rite makes use of some assumptions about the modulation used when
    > writing the sectors. In the times of MFM and RLL where you actually
    > knew what exactly was on the disks this, the disks were relatively
    > stupid and this added detection and recovery capabilities.

    > Today the
    > disks themselves can read close to the physical limits, do extensive
    > error correction and there is not realy any additional "magic" Spin
    > rite can do.

    They have done that for a long time, not only "Today".

    > Just a retry on read error does the same.

    Uh, nope.

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:sim8g1h2js471cdmfr84gfr7hqkh0b24if@4ax.com
    > In my continuing scramble to get surviving files off my crashed and
    > (to Windows) inaccessible HD, I've found the website of the program
    > Spinrite.
    >
    > It's said to support NTFS, it does low-level search, but I'm unsure if
    > it only handles logical errors

    Not.

    > or if it can recover data from a disk

    Yes.

    > with massive amounts of bad sectors/CRC errors?

    Well, massive may indicate graver problems than Spinrite may cope with.

    > I should make clear that I have no intention of trying to repair the
    > HD, I only wish to recover whatever files might still be alive on it.

    Then don't use Spinrite unless your data is in unreadable sectors.

    > (Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'd really like to get
    > closure on this ASAP)

HD Storage