Low-level reformat ?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 19, 2005 11:53:36 PM

Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there could any
regulars here describe relevant key words.

Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.

Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done

http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html

Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?

As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
"low-level" reformat.

TIA

More about : low level reformat

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 20, 2005 11:14:10 PM

"Stop 0x000001E" <Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote in message
> Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there could any
> regulars here describe relevant key words.
>
> Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.
Hunh?

> Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done
How what is done?

> http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html
>
> Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?

Yes. But, it's not directly related to reformating. The reason you have to
reactivate is because freshly installed software doesn't know it's been
activated.

> As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
> drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
> Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
> typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
> "low-level" reformat.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 22, 2005 1:48:59 AM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:14:10 GMT, "fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote:

>"Stop 0x000001E" <Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote in message
>> Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there could any
>> regulars here describe relevant key words.
>>
>> Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.
>Hunh?
>>
>> Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done
>How what is done?
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html
>>
>> Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?
>
>Yes. But, it's not directly related to reformating. The reason you have to
>reactivate is because freshly installed software doesn't know it's been
>activated.
>>
>> As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
>> drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
>> Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
>> typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
>> "low-level" reformat.
>>
>> TIA

How confused are you?
Nice of you to respond but your opinion on reactivation differs from
the adobe advice.

Are you able to comprehend the issue ?

You say yes , they say no !

regards
a b G Storage
August 24, 2005 2:09:10 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:53:36 GMT, Stop 0x000001E
<Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote:

>Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there could any
>regulars here describe relevant key words.
>
>Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.
>
>Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done
>
>http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html

Sorry, I don't know how the activation code is stored.

>Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?
>
>As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
>drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
>Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
>typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
>"low-level" reformat.
>
>TIA

IF the Adobe statement is accurate and complete, then normal
reformatting should not require you to reactivate. Low-level
formatting is rarely done, and is usually a bad idea anyway.

The statement somewhat contradicts other parts of the faq: The faq
says "In complex situations where the system is being upgraded,
reactivation is required." It also seems to imply that uninstalling
the software without transferring activation requires you to
reactivate if you later reinstall the software on the same computer.

Russell May
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 24, 2005 5:55:46 PM

Russell May <russmay@toastNotthis.net> wrote
> Stop 0x000001E <Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote

>> Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there
>> could any regulars here describe relevant key words.

>> Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.

>> Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done

>> http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html

> Sorry, I don't know how the activation code is stored.

>> Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?

>> As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
>> drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
>> Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
>> typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
>> "low-level" reformat.

> IF the Adobe statement is accurate and complete, then
> normal reformatting should not require you to reactivate.

> Low-level formatting is rarely done, and is usually a bad idea anyway.

Nope, modern IDE drives just write zeros thru all the sectors.

Nothing 'bad idea' about doing that in that situation.

> The statement somewhat contradicts other parts of the faq:
> The faq says "In complex situations where the system is being
> upgraded, reactivation is required." It also seems to imply that
> uninstalling the software without transferring activation requires you
> to reactivate if you later reinstall the software on the same computer.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 24, 2005 5:55:47 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:55:46 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Russell May <russmay@toastNotthis.net> wrote
>> Stop 0x000001E <Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote
>
>>> Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there
>>> could any regulars here describe relevant key words.
>
>>> Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams.
>
>>> Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done
>
>>> http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html
>
>> Sorry, I don't know how the activation code is stored.
>
>>> Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?
>
>>> As long as you don't perform a "low-level" reformat of your hard
>>> drive, you will not be required to reactivate your Adobe software.
>>> Please note that utilities (provided by the operating system vendor)
>>> typically used for reformatting the hard drive do not perform a
>>> "low-level" reformat.
>
>> IF the Adobe statement is accurate and complete, then
>> normal reformatting should not require you to reactivate.
>
>> Low-level formatting is rarely done, and is usually a bad idea anyway.
>
>Nope, modern IDE drives just write zeros thru all the sectors.
>
>Nothing 'bad idea' about doing that in that situation.
>
>> The statement somewhat contradicts other parts of the faq:
>> The faq says "In complex situations where the system is being
>> upgraded, reactivation is required." It also seems to imply that
>> uninstalling the software without transferring activation requires you
>> to reactivate if you later reinstall the software on the same computer.

Has "low-level" formatting has changed since the early days of IDE
drives? If I recall correctly the original low-level formatting
programs for IDE drives erased the factory error map and replaced it
with one which was less likely to be complete.

Regardless of that, I have read that a drive which is unreliable
enough to require a low-level format will probably remain unreliable:
It's better to scrap the drive and get a new one.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 25, 2005 4:52:40 AM

"fj" <jelenko@att.net> wrote in message news:6iLNe.642203$cg1.379109@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> "Stop 0x000001E" <Stop0x000001E@the-edge.org> wrote in message news:f5ecg19t6d7g46ohl82i9f9u2hv03ab2qf@4ax.com...
> > Before 'oogling through the layers of info out there could any
> > regulars here describe relevant key words.
> >
> > Like hidden sectors, file system details and alternate data streams. Huh?
> >
> > Or is there a simpler explanation re how this is done
>
> How what is done?
>

> > http://www.adobe.com/activation/faq.html
> >
> > Do I have to reactivate if I reformat my hard drive?
>
> Yes. But, it's not directly related to reformating. The reason you have to
> reactivate is because freshly installed software doesn't know it's been
> activated.

Nonsense.
Plenty of removed software knows it has been installed before.

!