Auto Update? Antivirus and pocketwinc Question?

May 13, 2004 1:45:57 PM

1) Is there a program like Windows Update that will keep my IPAQ up to date?

2) Should I be running virus scan software on my IPAQ? Any recommendations?

3) I'm running PocketWINc but it won't allow me to connect to my WAP
encrypted network, I've entered the key dozens of times but every time I go
and look at the key it's in 64 bit mode instead of 128. If the key is
working would PocketWinc still give me the option "Add Wep key and connect"?
Is there somewhere else I can hard code the Wep key for my work connection?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 10:45:56 PM

> 1) Is there a program like Windows Update that will keep my IPAQ up to
date?

No

> 2) Should I be running virus scan software on my IPAQ? Any
recommendations?

No. There is no real threat form computer viruses on PDAs

> 3) I'm running PocketWINc but it won't allow me to connect to my WAP
> encrypted network, I've entered the key dozens of times but every time I
go
> and look at the key it's in 64 bit mode instead of 128. If the key is
> working would PocketWinc still give me the option "Add Wep key and
connect"?
> Is there somewhere else I can hard code the Wep key for my work
connection?

Turn on the WLAN module, go to Start Menu - Settings - Connections tab -
Connections - Advanced - Network Card. There you will find all the options
you can set.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> > 2) Should I be running virus scan software on my IPAQ? Any
> recommendations?
>
> No. There is no real threat form computer viruses on PDAs

Actually, this is not true. While the threat of a virus attacking the PDA
itself is slim, moving infected files (like Word, Access or e-mails with
attachments) from the PDA to a computer can transfer those infected files.
If the PDA is connected to a network, infected files can also be transferred
that way. The virus would have to be in the file on the PC first, but it can
and has happened. I use a free program called Air Mobile Anti-Virus Scanner.
I found it on the internet. It installs easily, works great and can be run
in the background for continuous protection for AP or network users. It also
has a registry editor and web update feature. The reality is that a PDA
virus is probably a real low threat, but all it will take is some bored
programmer who wants to be the 1st to write a PDA-specific virus and then
we're all screwed. With the surging popularity of WM2003 devices, it's just
a matter of time. Later...

Rick
May 14, 2004 1:57:34 AM

Still, if you keep your desktop computer well protected (like you should)
there will be no problem whatsoever when carrying a virus from a PPC
to a desktop, it will be eliminated upon sync time when it attempts
to enter the desktop.
Writing viruses for PPC's may be possible, but there's not much
merit in this practise, these devices are hard to reach because they
are not as accessible as normal pc's (in terms of network connectivity
and removable storage options) so distribution of PPC viruses would
be dead slow to begin with, and rare because of that.
So as far as 'then we're all screwed' I think we're pretty safe for
another few years till the PPC OS starts to behave more like desktop OS's.
;)

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

> > 2) Should I be running virus scan software on my IPAQ? Any
> recommendations?
>
> No. There is no real threat form computer viruses on PDAs

? That there has been no pda virus found to date doesn't mean there is no
real threat.There *is* a potential threat although it hasn't yet been
realised.

It may be that it's not really necessary to have virus protection now, but
each user should judge the potential risk and effect if a virus is released
and affects them. I can't judge for other users the effect it may have on
their life- I don't think most people should do that either.

Personally I'm doing nothing now *apart from* watching the situation.
If/when it changes I may change and look at pda virus protection. I think
part protection may come from the majority of files passing through a PC
before ending up on a pda, most pc's have some kind of virus protection now,
hopefully threats will be added to these definitions too. It's another thing
to investigate if/when the threat is realised.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:10:25 PM

Guys... You are all over reacting. Now there is no threat form pda-specific
computer viruses. What will happen in a few months / years is out of the
question.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

Read my message again. You have just said what I said, cutting any potential
future risk out. How can you justify that- you don't know when anyone may do
that, even if you aren't going to write them.

> Guys... You are all over reacting. Now there is no threat form
pda-specific
> computer viruses. What will happen in a few months / years is out of the
> question.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 12:15:07 AM

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
> Guys... You are all over reacting. Now there is no threat form
pda-specific
> computer viruses. What will happen in a few months / years is out of the
> question.

Read what I said. While the risk of direct infection of a PDA is very slim,
the threat of transfer of a virus via a web-connected PDA is very real and
has already happened from what I've read. Having the tool to prevent this,
no matter how slim the chance, is good computing. And the fact that the tool
is available for free just makes it silly to ignore any risk. Given all the
very real security threats one is exposed to simply from using MS products,
why take it for granted that WM2003 would be any less vulnerable once
connected to the intenet? It's not like MS has a history of dealing with
security of its products BEFORE they release them to the public. Later...

Rick
!