Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No sign of wireless life

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 8, 2004 11:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I'm running XP sp1 on a Dell Latitude D600 with a Broadcom 570 Gigabit
Integrated Controller. I access a cable lan at work and home no worries but
see no sign of a wireless router or public wireless zones.

XP help refers to several things that seem to be missing (such as the
wireless connection icon in Network connections). I've checked the adapter's
driver, run all of the diagnostics on the NIC, moved off a domain, checked
that WZC has started and more all to no effect.

I can 'switch' the wireless off and on using the function key.

Any suggestions appreciated.

More about : sign wireless life

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2004 2:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:378CA1F8-F35B-4376-8208-41CBA4AF4CF8@microsoft.com...
> I'm running XP sp1 on a Dell Latitude D600 with a Broadcom 570 Gigabit
> Integrated Controller. I access a cable lan at work and home no
> worries but
> see no sign of a wireless router or public wireless zones.
>
> XP help refers to several things that seem to be missing (such as the
> wireless connection icon in Network connections). I've checked the
> adapter's
> driver, run all of the diagnostics on the NIC, moved off a domain,
> checked
> that WZC has started and more all to no effect.
>
> I can 'switch' the wireless off and on using the function key.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

The wireless icon might be hidden. Right-click the Start Button, select
Properties, Taskbar tab, Customize button. The icon might be in Current
Items with behavior Always hide. Change to Always show.

Otherwise, open the network connection. At the bottom of the General
tab is a checkbox Show Icon.... Check this.

You should be able to monitor wireless networks from the Wireless
Networks tab. On this tab, at the top is the checkbox Use Windows to
Configure - this is Wireless Zero Configuration. View Wireless Networks
should show what is available at any given time. Under the Advanced
button is Any available network, select this when wardriving.

Once the icon can be persuaded to show itself, you can shortcut this by
right-clicking the icon and selecting Show Available Networks.

Q
September 9, 2004 5:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi Quaoar

Thanks for the suggestions but they weren't much help. Some notes below.

"Quaoar" wrote:

>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:378CA1F8-F35B-4376-8208-41CBA4AF4CF8@microsoft.com...
> > I'm running XP sp1 on a Dell Latitude D600 with a Broadcom 570 Gigabit

>
> The wireless icon might be hidden. Right-click the Start Button, select
> Properties, Taskbar tab, Customize button. The icon might be in Current
> Items with behavior Always hide. Change to Always show.

I have 'hide inactive icons' unchecked. All icons appear in the taskbar no
worries but the LAN connection icon does not show wireless zones when right
clicked.

>
> Otherwise, open the network connection. At the bottom of the General
> tab is a checkbox Show Icon.... Check this.

I don't have a Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections that XP
help refers too. I have a Dialup and VPN connection (both for work) and a
Local Area Netork Connection. These work no worries through and ethernet
cable. The show Icon is checked for the LAN connection. This connection uses
the Broadcom Adapter, which is both ethernet and wirless. I've tried adding
a connection but no options get me to having a wirless network connection at
the end of the wizard.

>
> You should be able to monitor wireless networks from the Wireless
> Networks tab. On this tab, at the top is the checkbox Use Windows to
> Configure - this is Wireless Zero Configuration. View Wireless Networks
> should show what is available at any given time. Under the Advanced
> button is Any available network, select this when wardriving.

There is no Wireless Networks Tab in the Local Area Network Connection.

>
> Once the icon can be persuaded to show itself, you can shortcut this by
> right-clicking the icon and selecting Show Available Networks.
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 20, 2004 10:52:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

John wrote:
> Hi Quaoar
>
> Thanks for the suggestions but they weren't much help. Some notes
> below.
>
> "Quaoar" wrote:
>
>>
>> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:378CA1F8-F35B-4376-8208-41CBA4AF4CF8@microsoft.com...
>>> I'm running XP sp1 on a Dell Latitude D600 with a Broadcom 570
>>> Gigabit
>
>>
>> The wireless icon might be hidden. Right-click the Start Button,
>> select Properties, Taskbar tab, Customize button. The icon might be
>> in Current Items with behavior Always hide. Change to Always show.
>
> I have 'hide inactive icons' unchecked. All icons appear in the
> taskbar no worries but the LAN connection icon does not show
> wireless zones when right clicked.
>
>>
>> Otherwise, open the network connection. At the bottom of the General
>> tab is a checkbox Show Icon.... Check this.
>
> I don't have a Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections
> that XP help refers too. I have a Dialup and VPN connection (both for
> work) and a Local Area Netork Connection. These work no worries
> through and ethernet cable. The show Icon is checked for the LAN
> connection. This connection uses the Broadcom Adapter, which is both
> ethernet and wirless. I've tried adding a connection but no options
> get me to having a wirless network connection at the end of the
> wizard.
>
>>
>> You should be able to monitor wireless networks from the Wireless
>> Networks tab. On this tab, at the top is the checkbox Use Windows to
>> Configure - this is Wireless Zero Configuration. View Wireless
>> Networks should show what is available at any given time. Under the
>> Advanced button is Any available network, select this when
>> wardriving.
>
> There is no Wireless Networks Tab in the Local Area Network
> Connection.
>
>>
>> Once the icon can be persuaded to show itself, you can shortcut this
>> by right-clicking the icon and selecting Show Available Networks.

More info is good. To enable the wireless connection, first disable the
LAN connection; reboot with the wireless adapter enabled. Your router
might issue IP addresses to both wireless and ethernet, but to get
started it's best not to confuse the issue. You can use either the XP
wireless wiz or the wireless adapter management software, but not both.
If using the wizard, terminate the wireless adapter software and have
the Wireless Zero Configuration service set for Automatic startup and
also manually start the service.

This assumes that the router is already configured for wireless, that
there aren't any MAC address filters running, etc. Disable WEP or WPA
when establishing the connection.

Q
!