Was it an IBM Deathstar?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

My IBM HD gave up completely (clicks from start and BIOS reports
"Primary Slave Fails") before I found any software which could do a
non-windows read of the disksurface and save the surviving files, BUT
I'm curious about the mention of 'deathstars'.

My disk is a 40GB IBM-DTLA-307045 - is that a deathstar disk?

I tried searching on the web, but found no list of exactly what models
were susceptible to the 'deathstar' malfunction, but the description
of the problem sounds much like what I saw with my disk - initially
intermittent clicking, rapidly increasing hard errors, Windows locking
or becoming unresponsive once the drive started clicking, and then
total failure.

Also, this page: http://www.pheuron.de/index.htm?deathstar.htm
....suggests that GetBackData and ACR Media Tools could have saved the
data before BIOS gave up on it, but that now the only recourse is data
recovery companies like Vogon or Ontrack. Is that correct?

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

>My IBM HD gave up completely (clicks from start and BIOS reports
>"Primary Slave Fails") before I found any software which could do a
>non-windows read of the disksurface and save the surviving files, BUT
>I'm curious about the mention of 'deathstars'.
>
>My disk is a 40GB IBM-DTLA-307045 - is that a deathstar disk?

Looks like. Mine (now replaced) was :

MODEL : IC35L040AVER07-0
P/N : 07N6654

>I tried searching on the web, but found no list of exactly what models
>were susceptible to the 'deathstar' malfunction, but the description
>of the problem sounds much like what I saw with my disk - initially
>intermittent clicking, rapidly increasing hard errors, Windows locking
>or becoming unresponsive once the drive started clicking, and then
>total failure.

Had same symptoms.

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> My disk is a 40GB IBM-DTLA-307045 - is that a deathstar disk?

Yes, it's an infamous 75GXP.
<http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/products/Deskstar_75GXP>