Non-Dell hard drives (ie cheaper?) for inspiron 1150?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
swapping drives in a desktop ). Any
help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko
2 answers Last reply
More about dell hard drives cheaper inspiron 1150
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
    > for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
    > arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
    > other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
    > make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
    > swapping drives in a desktop ). Any
    > help/advise would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko

    Any 2.5" drive should be just fine. It's really not all that much
    different than a desktop. If you buy direct from Dell, they'll send it
    to you already mounted and ready to put into the laptop.

    If you buy it elsewhere, you'll save quite a bit of money, but you'll
    need to mount the drive yourself. If you're handy with a screwdriver it
    shouldn't take more than 5 minute.

    Bob
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Wow! Thanks for ya'lls help, i put my desktop together so i gather
    (from your input) that installing a drive shouldn't be too hard (the
    network idea was quite handy). Thanks again!

    -Gaiko

Internet Explorer Dell Hard Drives Storage