Non-Dell hard drives (ie cheaper?) for inspiron 1150?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 22, 2005 1:35:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
swapping drives in a desktop [I'm somewhat of a notebook newbie]). Any
help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 22, 2005 8:49:40 PM

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, i am looking to get a larger (80-100gb?) or faster (7200rpm) drive
> for my 1150 but when i looked on the dell site i almost had a cardiac
> arrest! those things are insanely expensive, so, i was wondering if
> other brands of hard drives can be used and what i need to look for to
> make sure it works in this notebook (I assume its not as easy as
> swapping drives in a desktop [I'm somewhat of a notebook newbie]). Any
> help/advise would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

Any 2.5" drive should be just fine. It's really not all that much
different than a desktop. If you buy direct from Dell, they'll send it
to you already mounted and ready to put into the laptop.

If you buy it elsewhere, you'll save quite a bit of money, but you'll
need to mount the drive yourself. If you're handy with a screwdriver it
shouldn't take more than 5 minute.

Bob
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 23, 2005 9:25:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Wow! Thanks for ya'lls help, i put my desktop together so i gather
(from your input) that installing a drive shouldn't be too hard (the
network idea was quite handy). Thanks again!

-Gaiko