Poor quality recording to DVD

The quality of the DVD I burn from my Sony DCR TRV19E using a fire wire does
not come out as clear as the original tape, is this normal or should the
picture be of equal clarity etc.
The system I am using is:
Image Mixer 1.5 for Sony
hp pavilion
Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8GHz

Any advice appreciated
Thanks Alan

It won't be as clear as it is compressed further, but it shouldn't be so bad
as you can tell a big difference.
The main things are the quality of the encoder you use, to change it from
avi to mpeg and then the settings you use with this encoder. For best
quality you need a bitrate of 8,000k, to include audio and if there is lots
of movement then using vbr and two pass will benefit, with setting the max
rate close to 8,000 and the std rate not more than 1,000k less. This does
mean that you can only fit on about one hour of video, more video means
lower bitrates means lower quality. If you can use ac-3 audio then you can
compress the audio more and not lose quality and get more video on.
Have a look at tmpgenc as a good cheap encoder.
Ensure you capture your movie from the cam as a dv-avi file adn save as same
on the pc after editing.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media