True Image 8 question about creating active partition image

I've successfully used True Image 8 (trial) to create an image of my
primary active parition. I was surprised that it created the image in
the background while I was still multi-taking from the desktop. (Older
imagers I have used required a reboot to create the image prior to
lauching the OS).

My question is, how does TI8 create an image of programs that are
currently in use? I didn't think that was possible without corruption.
Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary
partitions?

Thanks for the info.

<mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've successfully used True Image 8 (trial) to create an image of my
> primary active parition. I was surprised that it created the image in
> the background while I was still multi-taking from the desktop. (Older
> imagers I have used required a reboot to create the image prior to
> lauching the OS).
>
> My question is, how does TI8 create an image of programs that are
> currently in use? I didn't think that was possible without corruption.
> Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary
> partitions?
>
> Thanks for the info.

This somewhat inaccurate, but think of programs "in use"
as being memory-resident copies of what is on the disk as
executable files (.exe). It's what is on the *disk* that is
being copied, not what's in memory.

*TimDaniels*

mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com wrote:
> My question is, how does TI8 create an image of programs that are
> currently in use? I didn't think that was possible without corruption.
> Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary
> partitions?

Sure it can be trusted.

See this document for more details about how it does it:
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2003/01-ctr-disk-imaging.html

--
-WD

mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com wrote

> I've successfully used True Image 8 (trial) to create an image of my
> primary active parition. I was surprised that it created the image in
> the background while I was still multi-taking from the desktop.

That's universal now with all the mainstream imagers.

> (Older imagers I have used required a reboot
> to create the image prior to lauching the OS).

Yeah, that's one of the main things thats been added
recently, along with incremental images where you only
save what has changed since the last image was made.

> My question is, how does TI8 create an
> image of programs that are currently in use?

Its a capability that was added to XP etc.

> I didn't think that was possible without corruption.

Yes, its certainly possible.

> Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary partitions?

Yes. And if you dont like the risk, you can boot
the rescue CD and do it from there if you prefer.

On 22 Aug 2005 11:04:31 -0700, mydeadpresidents@yahoo.com wrote:

>My question is, how does TI8 create an image of programs that are
>currently in use? I didn't think that was possible without corruption.
> Can TI8 be trusted to make reliable images of active primary
>partitions?

It can and does include files that are in use, which is one of the
great things about TI. However, you can get sync problems if you're
not careful.

For instance, if you're extracting files from a zip file during the
imaging process, you may end up with both the original zip and the
extracted files in the image, even though the extracted files were not
written when the imaging started. I've tested this in TI7, but
haven't re-tested it in TI8.

Best bet is to not be actively working with critical files while
imaging is taking place. The image is still successful at a high
level, but what it contains can be a bit unpredictable.

Thanks everyone for your replies, feedback, and links. That's pretty
much what I wanted to know. Looks like I'll be picking up TI8.